Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
tweak_s
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 411899
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
DGM

Question Key Fob can open trunk but internal button/switch cannot??

Hi all,

Weird one as normally its the keyfob that has the issue..

Internal button/switch won't open trunk when held down (car on/off doesn't matter) but the key fob button works.

Car is a sport (in Canada) so no keyless just a regular key.

Any ideas? Is it a fuse?

Thanks.
tweak_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
Wayne Suhrbier
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 144044
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 STI
OBP

I would guess that the interior switch either died or has a loose wire.
Wayne Suhrbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

If you're still under the 3/36 warranty this should be a covered repair. Otherwise, if you're on your own you may want to get a hold of the FSM (particularly the wiring section) to help with troubleshooting.
The button on the dash connects to a pin on the BIU (Body Integrated Unit). When you press the button it grounds that pin and signals the BIU to energize the trunk release motor. Since this does work with the remote we know that the output part of the circuit is ok.
One test would be to pop the switch out of the dash and short the two pins together with a wire or cliplead. If the trunk release works that way you know it's a bad switch. You can also test the switch contacts (while unplugged) with an ohmeter. If shorting the pins does not activate the release, that would indicate a problem with either the BIU itself or the wiring between the switch and BIU.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:06 PM   #4
Arnieduke
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 513071
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2020 WRX Sport
Magnetite Grey

I'm having the same issue as the OP on a 2020 WRX. Weirdest thing is that when the headlights are on or in auto mode, pressing the switch makes the fog lights illuminate and not open the trunk. So the switch seems to be doing something, but not what it should. Any ideas?
Arnieduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:55 PM   #5
twien
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 534287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnieduke View Post
I'm having the same issue as the OP on a 2020 WRX. Weirdest thing is that when the headlights are on or in auto mode, pressing the switch makes the fog lights illuminate and not open the trunk. So the switch seems to be doing something, but not what it should. Any ideas?
Hey, first of all want to say thank you. When I read that your fog lights came on when you pressed the switch it clicked in my head because I had the same problem but I leave my fogs on through the headlights stalk. Turned off the fog lights and hit the trunk switch and my fogs came off. If you haven't fixed it, all I did was take off the panel and unplug the harness to the trunk switch and swap it with the one next to it. My car was in the shop and I guess they swapped the harnesses and didn't notice.
twien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 07:13 PM   #6
FlyUSAF2002
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 535522
Default Request Images/Help with Trunk-Switch Wiring

Hi All,

My car was in the shop, and the technician unplugged the trunk switch (interior switch by the left knee of the driver on the dashboard). Got the car back and the cable is STILL unplugged. Before I drive 45 minutes back to my dealer, can anyone help me figure where to plug in the switch.

The switch is plugged in on its back, but the other end is dangling right in front of the fuse panel! When you open the fuse-access panel, the cable is dangling right there in front of you. I have laid on my back and looked hard, but I cannot see any open receptacle. Anyone have an image or any guidance on where to plug it in so I can use my trunk again?

Thanks in advance!
Andy

2018 WRX Limited
FlyUSAF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:12 PM   #7
Arnieduke
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 513071
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2020 WRX Sport
Magnetite Grey

If I remember correctly, you need to remove a small plastic panel on the left side of the steering wheel (driver door open) and there is one Phillips screw to remove so you can remove the panel with the switch. Fairly easy to do.
Arnieduke is offline   Reply With Quote