Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 17, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Member#: 421858
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Default Easiest safe way to install a no-start switch on 2012 2.0i?

Apparently stealing Subarus is easy and extremely common in my area, so I'm interested in putting a hidden kill switch somewhere in the cabin, or if really necessary, the engine bay although then I would only use it when I'm in a questionable area. I know you can try just killing the fuel pump but odds are someone can still start the car and get a short distance with it if they know what they're doing. I've also heard it's dangerous to add wiring to the fuel pump because it has some special operation related to resistance and you might totally **** it by adding wire.

Any other ideas? Main priority is the switch not messing with any other electronics, second priority is it being easier to wire. IE not having to crawl under the car and drill holes and **** all over the place, or having to know an electrician to do it properly.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
wrbrexx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461037
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2016 Subaru
World Rally Blue

Is it manual? If yes, you are fine. If no, manual swap!
wrbrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22035
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2014 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

also, if they want your car they will take it. just have insurance and call it a day.
PARANOID56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:20 AM   #4
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

You've got immobilizer keys. Are you suggesting that people are bypassing the Immobilizer system to steal these cars? If so, that's quite interesting. If not, they're not starting the cars so no amount of switch-adding will help you.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOID56 View Post
also, if they want your car they will take it. just have insurance and call it a day.
Lol that's funny, you think they're going to take the time to find a tow truck for a dented up 2012 Impreza with 60,000 miles on it?
Old 10-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
You've got immobilizer keys. Are you suggesting that people are bypassing the Immobilizer system to steal these cars? If so, that's quite interesting. If not, they're not starting the cars so no amount of switch-adding will help you.
I really don't believe it's that hard for someone who wants the car to steal it regardless of the immobilizer. They're going to spend a long time searching for a kill switch though.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #7
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpoop View Post
I really don't believe it's that hard for someone who wants the car to steal it regardless of the immobilizer. They're going to spend a long time searching for a kill switch though.
A good user and a flatbed is under 2 minutes, who cares about a kill switch.....

Frankly, I find it amusing that someone may reply back and say, "oh, you want a kill switch, then do the following, its great.....".
For what we know, you're looking for ways peeps do a kill switch so you have a clue to defeat them.

Maybe just find a good local shop and have them do one.....I believe AZP in NJ does this....
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #8
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpoop View Post

Yeah, if they want the car, and it has immobilizer, they're taking it in non-running condition. A kill switch won't make a lick of difference. They're going to rope tow it or flatbed it somewhere else and strip it down. The immobilizer is integrated (depending on year) with several major modules, and without the keys, you're replacing all of them, and programming them, to get the car running again.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:40 AM   #9
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

There is literally zero market for any of the parts on my car, and they're certainly not shipping a car worth probably $8k off to another country. No one's going through the trouble of a flatbed.

Try living in/around Portland and you'll understand. Meth addicts like to break into cars and take them for joy rides until the gas is gone then ditch them. They don't drive them off to another country or something retarded like that.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:59 AM   #10
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Then don't worry about it. The only way someone is driving off with your car is if they replace several modules and program new keys, or if they've got your keys.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
Then don't worry about it. The only way someone is driving off with your car is if they replace several modules and program new keys, or if they've got your keys.
alright, I thought it wasn't that hard to bypass an immobilizer now but if you say it is, I believe you.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #12
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

On a 90s GM car, sure. But when the ECM requires a signal from another module saying it received the right signal from your key in order to allow it to start, it's not that easy.

There are several different versions based upon year, but it may be the cluster, BUI, and keys or ECM, BUI and keys that you have to replace and program.