Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 13, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 06:57 AM   #176
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake-rattle-n-roll View Post
i guess a samsung galaxy s9 isnt modern
The S9 still comes with mirrorlink?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #177
oichan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Sounds like it could just be a CP thing in the HU and not affect AA.

The issue with AA is if you do something like restart your phone in the middle of a drive, AA may not want to reconnect without you restarting the car (only way of canceling figure out to hard restart the HU) at least once.
From the read (various sites) AndroidAuto appears to work with these new HU's.
I didn't buy the car for CarPlay so it's fine, but would be nice if it worked properly. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Limited with HK, but found damage on the new car so passed and picked up my 19 Limited with HK at another dealer.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:04 PM   #178
kenef
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493122
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: OC/LA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
From the read (various sites) AndroidAuto appears to work with these new HU's.
I didn't buy the car for CarPlay so it's fine, but would be nice if it worked properly. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Limited with HK, but found damage on the new car so passed and picked up my 19 Limited with HK at another dealer.
Wow hopefully no damage on my new 2019 this Friday, just getting here.

Where was the damage, how noticeable was it?

Luckily my 2019 will have this so I don't have to worry... but hopefully I won't have an urge to upgrade.
kenef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #179
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenef View Post
Wow hopefully no damage on my new 2019 this Friday, just getting here.

Where was the damage, how noticeable was it?

Luckily my 2019 will have this so I don't have to worry... but hopefully I won't have an urge to upgrade.
Take it from a guy whose last 3 Subarus never went a month before he pulled the trigger on an audio system overhaul: the 2019 HU is perfectly fine fine especially with HK for most of what you'll probably want.

I have the base model HU in my 19 Limited (got mine unoptioned intentionally) and I think I can go a year or so at least before I begin overhauling it, starting with the HU.

Audio isn't muddy (neither is it really good, however), AA works fine with only a minor HU hiccup. Only major major gripe is something they included as a feature (and something my wife's 2010 Malibu had as well, BTW), and that is that when you turn the engine off, the radio not only stays on, but drops to the radio, which you may not have been listening to. That's annoying. If it's going to have a "keep audio on till the door opens", it should be for connected media as well. Keep playing over AA/CP or BT as well.

That's the only massive beef I've got with the stock HU, and in the larger scheme of things, that's not really all that big of a deal. Just find an inoffensive FM, AM, or XM station, set it as preset 1 and let that be what keeps dropping back on when you shut the engine off.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:46 AM   #180
oichan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenef View Post
Wow hopefully no damage on my new 2019 this Friday, just getting here.

Where was the damage, how noticeable was it?
The 18 had damage on the rear quarter panel. It was pretty bad too, like a chain got caught up between the tire and arch when they backed it off the truck or something. Dealer said theyíd fix it but I wasnít in any rush so decided to check another dealer the following day. Thatís where I found my 19. The CarPlay was supposed to be a plus, but oh well.

GL with the delivery on your STI!
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #181
Nahoward
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 486869
Join Date: Jun 2018
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Lapis Blue

Default

So, has anyone tried the (potentially bad idea) of exporting the '19 HU firmware and importing it into an '18 HU?

I'm curious what would happen, especially if you had a way to export the '18 HU firmware first so you overwrite the original firmware back onto the device should things go sideways.
Nahoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #182
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoward View Post
So, has anyone tried the (potentially bad idea) of exporting the '19 HU firmware and importing it into an '18 HU?

I'm curious what would happen, especially if you had a way to export the '18 HU firmware first so you overwrite the original firmware back onto the device should things go sideways.
Probably wouldn't work. Internal electronics are different as processing is faster and sound is better. Also, USB inputs are different as well.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:53 AM   #183
oichan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Not sure why you 18 and earlier guys want the 19 HU when it doesn’t even work properly..

Unless for the new NAV and HK which is improved from earlier models. If for CarPlay forget it.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:42 AM   #184
kenef
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493122
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: OC/LA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Take it from a guy whose last 3 Subarus never went a month before he pulled the trigger on an audio system overhaul: the 2019 HU is perfectly fine fine especially with HK for most of what you'll probably want.

I have the base model HU in my 19 Limited (got mine unoptioned intentionally) and I think I can go a year or so at least before I begin overhauling it, starting with the HU.

Audio isn't muddy (neither is it really good, however), AA works fine with only a minor HU hiccup. Only major major gripe is something they included as a feature (and something my wife's 2010 Malibu had as well, BTW), and that is that when you turn the engine off, the radio not only stays on, but drops to the radio, which you may not have been listening to. That's annoying. If it's going to have a "keep audio on till the door opens", it should be for connected media as well. Keep playing over AA/CP or BT as well.

That's the only massive beef I've got with the stock HU, and in the larger scheme of things, that's not really all that big of a deal. Just find an inoffensive FM, AM, or XM station, set it as preset 1 and let that be what keeps dropping back on when you shut the engine off.
Yeah I have had that experience since I drove a Crosstrek for a while and noticed that, but seemed to happen at random times. More often than not the HU was ok. I will see how it is when I get it! I honestly didn't even play with it.

What kind of extra features would you want into an upgraded HU? The 2019 seems like it has plenty for me(CP, BT, XM, touchscreen)..I'm coming from an S2000, definitely not known for its sound quality I just know if I want to upgrade it I'd be likely to want a good one and I am sure they are at least $700+

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
The 18 had damage on the rear quarter panel. It was pretty bad too, like a chain got caught up between the tire and arch when they backed it off the truck or something. Dealer said they’d fix it but I wasn’t in any rush so decided to check another dealer the following day. That’s where I found my 19. The CarPlay was supposed to be a plus, but oh well.

GL with the delivery on your STI!
Ah ok, well looks like it played out in your favor! Thank you, its just a WRX though. I waited about 5 weeks for this one so hopefully it goes well. Do you not have CarPlay? 2019s have it...
kenef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #185
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

I would like the HU (or better yet the MFD) to display individual tire pressures, BU camera to change parking lines when the wheels turn to show your backup path, and android auto wireless support.

I do like how the USB ports are all 2.1A though.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #186
oichan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenef View Post


Ah ok, well looks like it played out in your favor! Thank you, its just a WRX though. I waited about 5 weeks for this one so hopefully it goes well. Do you not have CarPlay? 2019s have it...
Oh, well WRX is cool too so GL with the delivery! mine does have CarPlay on its HK stereo, just doesnít work correctly.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #187
littledrummerboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94408
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
Ď17 STI Sport-Tech
Ď17 Impreza Hatch Touring

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Probably wouldn't work. Internal electronics are different as processing is faster and sound is better. Also, USB inputs are different as well.
The USB inputs afaik, just have higher amperage so you can do more battery intensive things through the phone while using CP/AA without draining battery. I'm leaning towards previous years USB inputs would still work data-wise, but won't charge as fast and could possibly slowly discharge your battery if you use multiple apps at the same time like maps and stream music... as I've read elsewhere happening to Outback owners.

Anyway, a USB module swap isn't hard to do either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
Not sure why you 18 and earlier guys want the 19 HU when it doesn’t even work properly..

Unless for the new NAV and HK which is improved from earlier models. If for CarPlay forget it.
An OEM look is important to some; there's so much negative space in aftermarket bezels and it just doesn't look right to me. Also, I'm in Canada and I haven't really heard of CP issues -- maybe its our lack of telematics that helps? I also have it in my impreza and I have no issues using CP there.

Last edited by littledrummerboy; 11-14-2018 at 09:31 AM.
littledrummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #188
oichan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

HK HU does look good that is for sure.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #189
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
HK HU does look good that is for sure.
Standard STARLINK with the 19s is the same look, just sans NAV and preamp outputs to the HK system.

That's something I'm going to be very picky about in selecting an aftermarket HU: the ability to get the screen as close to flush with the bezel trim as possible.

I don't mind the negative space that will be there as I don't reach for those buttons often or at all (and only when I must) when driving, and they all have their touchscreen equivalents which are just as speedy in response.

And an aftermarket HU with the bezel will give me some flat space to mount the AP that isn't on the soft touch dash or partially obstructing a vent.

Now if only the HU makers would get with the program and up the available output on their AA/CP USB ports to support USB C spec charging (5V/3A).
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #190
oichan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Standard STARLINK with the 19s is the same look
Is it? Then more to you!
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #191
obiwantoby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 428773
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
WR Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daijoubo-yo View Post
I too have this problem with my 18 limited and so have a few others. I turned down the treble and it helped a bit but other than that itís still there. Just learned to tune it out for the most part. Pretty pathetic for an Ďupgraded stereo.í Havenít complained to the dealer yet.



A guy on clubwrx had his head unit changed and didnít fix the issue. I might push them to change out the amp on mine see if it does anything.


I have started s few threads on this. Sorta glad to see others with this issue. I wonder if the alternator fix would fix it - or similar. I want I get some ferrite cores on the back of the radio next.
obiwantoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #192
Daijoubo-yo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 252612
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MS, OH
Vehicle:
2010 WRX 5dr
97 Lude Sh,99 Durango 5.2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwantoby View Post
I have started s few threads on this. Sorta glad to see others with this issue. I wonder if the alternator fix would fix it - or similar. I want I get some ferrite cores on the back of the radio next.


Itís most likely coming from the alternator. Iíve gotten it to increase and decrease with RPMs. Itís drown out at higher volumes which is nice but for talk radio and switching between stations itís easily noticeable. All sources. Iíve gotten the dealer to acknowledge itís there and not normal. Said they will get their electrical guy on it when I want to schedule something. Donít really want it ripped apart but Iíll have them take a look next service and update you on it.

So far I know for sure itís not the battery, headunit, or dash tweeters.
Daijoubo-yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #193
brettjson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 490337
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

So, did anyone end up plugging in the 2019 head unit to a 16-18 and see if it works?
brettjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #194
RPW44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 466961
Join Date: May 2017
Default

Ditto. I have the Ď18 w/ HK and Nav and while the sound is good, the Nav and hands free stuff is trash. Was really excited at the prospect of getting Apple Play into my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjson View Post
So, did anyone end up plugging in the 2019 head unit to a 16-18 and see if it works?
RPW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #195
JerseyKid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135901
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Central Jersey
Vehicle:
2017 STi
Crystal White Pearl

Default

My biggest complaint about my 17 is no Android Auto - thats literally all i want extra in this car. I will be patiently waiting and watching this thread to see if the MY 19 units will work - or if subaru throws us a bone and offers a software upgrade.
JerseyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #196
phd12v
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 432497
Join Date: Oct 2015
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pitt
Vehicle:
18 Sti
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyKid View Post
My biggest complaint about my 17 is no Android Auto - thats literally all i want extra in this car. I will be patiently waiting and watching this thread to see if the MY 19 units will work - or if subaru throws us a bone and offers a software upgrade.
there will be no update, the radios dont have the capability to do it... i wish i could tell you it could happen, but it wont.

Could it be adapted over from a 2019 unit?? most likely it could...but with the cost of it, it might be better to just put a new unit in for your application.
phd12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #197
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phd12v View Post
there will be no update, the radios dont have the capability to do it... i wish i could tell you it could happen, but it wont.

Could it be adapted over from a 2019 unit?? most likely it could...but with the cost of it, it might be better to just put a new unit in for your application.
With what it would cost to buy and fit one of the new HUs into an older WRX, one can get a better-than-HK audio system with a AA-supported HU.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.