Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Tri-State Area Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Regional Areas > Tri-State Area Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
AceKingNYC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 406087
Join Date: Nov 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York City
Vehicle:
06 VF48 Wrx Wagon
WRB

Default JDM Power folding mirror adjustment for USDM

Picked up a set of JDM power folding mirrors. I've read several how to's on how to adjust the mirror base to properly angle viewing for USDM cars. Anyone have experience doing this? I am tempted to tackle it myself but would definitely prefer to pay someone who has done this before to ensure i don't complete screw this up somehow, especially since these have aftermarket blue convex mirror glass on them, I definitely don't want to break these.

If anyone who had done it would like to pick up the project, let me know.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AceKingNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
okimar
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 453683
Join Date: Aug 2016
Default

...following... #ChristmasGiftToMyself LOL
okimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
zuppy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 393616
Join Date: Jun 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Flushing, Queens, NY
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Default

Heat the glass so the tape gets loose and you can pop it out. after that the rest is a breeze following the DIY.
zuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
AFBeefcake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 27874
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Ledyard,CT
Vehicle:
2002 WRX V7 EJ207
DOM1.5 6MT 360 whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceKingNYC View Post
Picked up a set of JDM power folding mirrors. I've read several how to's on how to adjust the mirror base to properly angle viewing for USDM cars. Anyone have experience doing this? I am tempted to tackle it myself but would definitely prefer to pay someone who has done this before to ensure i don't complete screw this up somehow, especially since these have aftermarket blue convex mirror glass on them, I definitely don't want to break these.

If anyone who had done it would like to pick up the project, let me know.
I did a set on my 02, I swapped the glass, glass backs, and bases from a 04-07 heated USDM set. So I now have heated power folding power mirrors.

To get the right angle and focus your going to have to use USDM glass and mirror bases. with just the bases swapped you mite be ok.
AFBeefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
AceKingNYC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 406087
Join Date: Nov 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York City
Vehicle:
06 VF48 Wrx Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuppy View Post
Heat the glass so the tape gets loose and you can pop it out. after that the rest is a breeze following the DIY.
Thanks for that ! If you want to help out I'd be more than willing to compensate for the swap and wiring since it's def out of my league
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake View Post
I did a set on my 02, I swapped the glass, glass backs, and bases from a 04-07 heated USDM set. So I now have heated power folding power mirrors.

To get the right angle and focus your going to have to use USDM glass and mirror bases. with just the bases swapped you mite be ok.
Thanks for the input man!

I guess the hardest part will be the glass as it is the most fragile. And I can just unscrew the bases to swap from the usdm into the jdm housing? I've seen guides where you modify a base but if I can just swap it that sounds much simpler.
AceKingNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
AFBeefcake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 27874
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Ledyard,CT
Vehicle:
2002 WRX V7 EJ207
DOM1.5 6MT 360 whp

Default

You cant just swap the bases. The screws will not line up.

Getting the glass out wasn't that bad. I used a hair dryer, plastic scraper and wore gloves.
Just do it very slowly.
AFBeefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
AceKingNYC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 406087
Join Date: Nov 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York City
Vehicle:
06 VF48 Wrx Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake View Post
You cant just swap the bases. The screws will not line up.

Getting the glass out wasn't that bad. I used a hair dryer, plastic scraper and wore gloves.
Just do it very slowly.
Sorry, I meant the mirror glass base/backing not the actual base of the mirror housing. Will that swap over? Basically the internal pieces
AceKingNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #8
AFBeefcake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 27874
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Ledyard,CT
Vehicle:
2002 WRX V7 EJ207
DOM1.5 6MT 360 whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceKingNYC View Post
Sorry, I meant the mirror glass base/backing not the actual base of the mirror housing. Will that swap over? Basically the internal pieces
The internal part is the part that makes it fold.
AFBeefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Spt Freak
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228666
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Weston, WI
Vehicle:
2007 STi
WRB

Default

I know this is a old trend but Iím going to tackle this over the winter. It would be nice to have the mirrors adjust better for us LHD people.
Spt Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #10
AFBeefcake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 27874
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Ledyard,CT
Vehicle:
2002 WRX V7 EJ207
DOM1.5 6MT 360 whp

Default

I swapped in the usdm glass and glass holders and mine work just fine. the only issue is when you fold them in the passages side mirror sticks out more then the drivers.
AFBeefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.