Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 18, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
goalpost68
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 417639
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5 RS
Black

Default ej207 swap 2005 2.5rs impreza

Long story short I now have an ej207 version 6 engine from a half cut with a bad coilpack. I have been trying to do research on everything I'm going to need to swap it in and get it to run but I cant find anything about swapping it into my car which is a 2005 2.5rs impreza automatic.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or help me out with what I will need?
goalpost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
i10scooby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459133
Vehicle:
2004 Forester

Hmmm, can we get more information? What does the bad coil pack have to do with the swap/engine? Do you have the engine only or the entire half cut?

1.) If you don't have the entire half cut run back to the jdm shop and get it. It will make your life a lot easier if you have everything that came in the engine bay. Things you need from the half cut are: Air box, subframe, boost control solenoid, power steering lines, dash (if you want to dash swap), ecu and harness, and probably some other stuff I am forgetting.

2.) If it has a bad coil pack and you haven't been able to do a compression test, you need to fix it and do a compression test ASAP to see if the engine is actually okay.

3.) If the ECU/engine is for a manual, you will have a fair bit of trouble getting it to work with your automatic... For one, the ECU needs to be for an automatic car so that the transmission knows when to shift. Did they even make an automatic EJ207? You will also need to rig something up to cool the trans, (an automatic engine has an outlet for coolant near the water pump, a manual engine doesn't have this.) I would guess that an automatic trans for an RS2.5 is not going to like the power this puts out at all... You will be very likely to break something very quickly if you floor a 300HP engine with an auto built for 165HP.

Do a swap to a manual trans (again half cut might have this).

4.) (Assuming compression is good) you should replace everything you can on the engine now while it is out and easy to access. You will thank yourself later. Take off oil pan and inspect the oil for metal shavings/any cracks in the oil pick up then reseal your oil pan. Replace all gaskets for intake and exhaust. Inspect all hoses and replace any hard tubing. Replace PCV valve, spark plugs, fuel filter, timing and serpentine belts. It would be a good idea to check the valve clearance and replace shims/buckets to get everything in spec.

5.) You will have to decide if you want to get your harness merged at iwire ($$$) or do a complete dash swap. The later being much cheaper, but more difficult.

There is more but that should be enough to think about for now.
i10scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:27 AM   #3
goalpost68
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 417639
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5 RS
Black

The bad coilpack doesn't have anything to do with it I was just stating that it was bad.

1- I only have have engine, crossmember, intercooler and intake, and engine harness

2 - will need to do this

3 - I was wondering about the transmission issues I would have, the guy I had gotten the engine from assured me there would be no issues but that guy is a whole other story

4- currently in the process of this, I've read some threads say you need to swap the right side crank gear?

5- I have a spare 02-03 wrx bulkhead harness would that be useable for the harness merge?
goalpost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
i10scooby
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Forester

I can tell you from experience that many JDM dealers KNOW that their buyers are uninformed, and they would sell 1/2 as many engines if they were completely honest.

I don't know who is selling you the engine, but I would not trust what a JDM dealer says. I am telling you this from experience because I was in a tight situation, needed a new engine fast, and the JDM dealer told me whatever I wanted to hear. I got completely ****** because I didn't do all my research and all said and done I was thousands of dollars over budget.

If I could do it all over again, I would have gone a completely different route. I would urge you to do a lot of research before you start spending ANY money. It will be expensive regardless of the route you take, and you will be much better off if you back out before you spend too much and can't go back.

That said... the guy is flat out full of it if he says you will have no issues with the automatic transmission. If he were being honest, he would have at least told you the issues with the ECU and cooling. Not to mention the issues you will definitely have with reliability. There is a reason people go 6-speed with an STI swap, and your automatic is even more fragile than the 5 speed people want to swap out.

No, you cannot use an 02-03 wrx harness. You have to merge the harness with the harness that is already in your car and uses your existing dash. If you don't want to merge your existing harness you will need to do a dash swap. This involves pulling out the entire dash and replacing it with the dash from the donor car. This way you do not have to merge your harness and can keep the harness and sensors from the donor car in tact. This would require you to have the half cut so that you could use the donor harness and dash. You would also have fitment issues you would have to work out yourself. Like I said, your other option is iwire who will merge your harness and the 207 harness for around $900.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
i10scooby
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Forester

any updates on this?