Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
imprezaL2345
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 108188
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VB yo.
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L 1.8T
Lotus Storm Titanium

Default

Alright guys. I posted up a few weeks ago about purchasing a GS500F as my first bike. Well, the dealer is giving me the run around about handling over the title to me despite the fact I was cut-throat, straight to the point, and paid in cash. Right now I have two options.

1.) Have good faith in them and wait another 1-2 weeks to get the title from them.

2.) Get my money back. If I went this route, my brother's friend has a well maintained Yamaha R6 that hes willing to sell to me for the same price as the GS500F.

Well, my concerns are mostly the R6 being too much to handle as a first bike. I've taken a MSF course and breezed through that and was pretty confident in my ability to handle a bike. However, I do know that unlike the GS500F, it's a super sport, its got twice the power, less forgiving, and has a more twitchy throttle.

What do you guys think? I'm 6'2, 180lbs btw.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
imprezaL2345 is offline  
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Kellan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135556
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: a house
Default

I'd say with your weight and if you're confident enough you'll probably be fine. But then again I've logged a lot of miles on my DRZ sm (8k?) and I'm scared ****less at the idea of throwing a leg over my buddy's CBR1000
Kellan is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
red jester
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193233
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo
Vehicle:
2003 bugeye wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezaL2345 View Post
Alright guys. I posted up a few weeks ago about purchasing a GS500F as my first bike. Well, the dealer is giving me the run around about handling over the title to me despite the fact I was cut-throat, straight to the point, and paid in cash. Right now I have two options.

1.) Have good faith in them and wait another 1-2 weeks to get the title from them.

2.) Get my money back. If I went this route, my brother's friend has a well maintained Yamaha R6 that hes willing to sell to me for the same price as the GS500F.

Well, my concerns are mostly the R6 being too much to handle as a first bike. I've taken a MSF course and breezed through that and was pretty confident in my ability to handle a bike. However, I do know that unlike the GS500F, it's a super sport, its got twice the power, less forgiving, and has a more twitchy throttle.

What do you guys think? I'm 6'2, 180lbs btw.
I started on an R6 and have been fine so far. Granted it has only been a couple months and a couple thousand miles. I took the MSF course and have a great respect for the bike. If you do the same you may be ok. I am 6'3'' and 180 too.
red jester is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
scaryfastskier
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7893
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Saint Louis
Vehicle:
2010 F150 & Iron883
Husky TE449 + TXC250

Default

I'd get my money back. Title nonsense is not something I'd want to deal with. The big reason I'm willing to consider shopping at dealers is an easier sale. If I'm going to have a pain in the ass anyway, why wouldn't I cut them out of the equation?
scaryfastskier is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
Mike Wevrick
RIP 1/19/64 - 7/23/11
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 24654
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: saraseager.com
Vehicle:
1957 Taggart Comet
atlasshruggedpart1.com

Default

^^Why is the dealer giving you the run-around about the title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoid View Post
Uhhh, did you really expect one or two days on a motorcycle to fully prepare you to handle the streets? Did your instructors say that?
No, and no, but the fact that I got my license seemed to imply that I was ready. IMO I wasn't, and IMO the MSF course and test were not adequate to give someone a license.

Quote:
My instructors heavily emphasized that we now only know the very basics of operating a motorcycle, and that the next step is to practice very carefully in parking lots or quiet neighborhoods.
My instructors did not say anything like this. IMO it would have been a good idea if they had.
Mike Wevrick is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
imprezaL2345
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 108188
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VB yo.
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L 1.8T
Lotus Storm Titanium

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellan View Post
I'd say with your weight and if you're confident enough you'll probably be fine. But then again I've logged a lot of miles on my DRZ sm (8k?) and I'm scared ****less at the idea of throwing a leg over my buddy's CBR1000
thanks for your input
Quote:
Originally Posted by red jester View Post
I started on an R6 and have been fine so far. Granted it has only been a couple months and a couple thousand miles. I took the MSF course and have a great respect for the bike. If you do the same you may be ok. I am 6'3'' and 180 too.
Well thats good to hear. Can you give me a rundown on things you've noticed/learned about the bike as you progressed? Things to look out for and such
imprezaL2345 is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
scaryfastskier
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7893
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Saint Louis
Vehicle:
2010 F150 & Iron883
Husky TE449 + TXC250

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2wrx View Post
Uh, my bike has no cable anywhere in the braking system. Either you have no fluid, air in the lines, bad master cylinder, or a bad lever.
Whats the tube leaving the lever called then? I just call it a cable because I'm not that good at terms.

Good point though. I've swapped a clutch cable and a throttle cable, but never brakes. I guess I should have known better with the brake fluid sitting right on the handlebars.
scaryfastskier is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
altoid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189864
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
No, and no, but the fact that I got my license seemed to imply that I was ready. IMO I wasn't, and IMO the MSF course and test were not adequate to give someone a license.
I'd say the same holds for driver's licenses. It's not really a valid excuse, but it's reality. We could do it like civilized European countries, but all the lazy bastards would cry foul...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
My instructors did not say anything like this. IMO it would have been a good idea if they had.
That's a shame. I was a little impressed that they did, given that they both ride Harleys (some other bikes too) and work for a Harley dealership, and that the course itself was run by said dealership. Not to stereotype, but...yeah, you get the point.


It should be a requirement for all MSF instructors to give this kind of advice. I know for a fact that I should not go and ride in traffic right now. Sadly, not everyone is as rational about this as I am.
altoid is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
scaryfastskier
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7893
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Saint Louis
Vehicle:
2010 F150 & Iron883
Husky TE449 + TXC250

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoid View Post
We could do it like civilized European countries,
I've seen plenty of astonishingly bad European drivers. I wouldn't say they are any better at driving, just more aggressive and angry.
scaryfastskier is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
altoid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189864
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryfastskier View Post
I've seen plenty of astonishingly bad European drivers. I wouldn't say they are any better at driving, just more aggressive and angry.
Look up Norway's driver's education system. Or Germany's. That's what I was referring to.
altoid is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #11
scaryfastskier
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7893
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Saint Louis
Vehicle:
2010 F150 & Iron883
Husky TE449 + TXC250

Default

I was thinking more like Spanish cabbie.

Outside of the Autobahn speed racers, Germany wasn't really all that impressive. As far the Autobahn goes I wasn't too impressed by the people passing me because I can drive fast as hell on a highway no problem.
scaryfastskier is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Mike Wevrick
RIP 1/19/64 - 7/23/11
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 24654
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: saraseager.com
Vehicle:
1957 Taggart Comet
atlasshruggedpart1.com

Default

^^At least Germany tries to take driver training seriously though. The courses and testing (for both cars and motorcycles) are apparently much harder than in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoid View Post
I'd say the same holds for driver's licenses. It's not really a valid excuse, but it's reality.
When I did drivers ed, most of the practice was on real roads. I had to take my test on real roads as well, and it was common to fail the first attempt. Also, many states including mine have graduated licenses so it takes several years to get a full license.
Mike Wevrick is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
altoid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189864
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
When I did drivers ed, most of the practice was on real roads. I had to take my test on real roads as well, and it was common to fail the first attempt. Also, many states including mine have graduated licenses so it takes several years to get a full license.
Lolz, none of that in California. No driver's ed required when over 18, the test is worthless. I should know I passed it.
altoid is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
MOtivated
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 57679
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Jersey, baby!
Vehicle:
2011 Ford
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezaL2345 View Post
Alright guys. I posted up a few weeks ago about purchasing a GS500F as my first bike. Well, the dealer is giving me the run around about handling over the title to me despite the fact I was cut-throat, straight to the point, and paid in cash. Right now I have two options.

1.) Have good faith in them and wait another 1-2 weeks to get the title from them.

2.) Get my money back. If I went this route, my brother's friend has a well maintained Yamaha R6 that hes willing to sell to me for the same price as the GS500F.

Well, my concerns are mostly the R6 being too much to handle as a first bike. I've taken a MSF course and breezed through that and was pretty confident in my ability to handle a bike. However, I do know that unlike the GS500F, it's a super sport, its got twice the power, less forgiving, and has a more twitchy throttle.

What do you guys think? I'm 6'2, 180lbs btw.
My first street bike was a Ninja ZX6R, I had no issues with riding it other than it being a bit too cramped for my 6'4" frame. I did, however, have a lot of dirt bike riding experience going into my MSF class.

The biggest issue with a bike like the R6 will be the twitchy throttle. Hitting a bump at part-throttle and cracking it open hard will result in bad things. Keep that in mind and you should stay out of trouble as long as you don't ride like a total squid.
MOtivated is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #15
dmross
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2818
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUB03REX View Post
How many points were you deducted in the skills test?
9 points total IIRC. I did fine on the fig-8 box and swerving but I think I lost some in the 135deg turn because I was trying to hold the throttle barely cracked open and it was really jerky (on/off). I also kept getting told I was going a little too fast for the braking sections during the day, so during the testing I think I went too slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick
Congrats! Please, though, remember that you still have to integrate your new skills with dealing with usual street driving issues. IMO the MSF course was not adequate preparation for riding on the street. I have been taking it very easy as I gradually get more and more used to it.
I agree the course content wasn't really geared towards street preparation but rather some basics to avoid n00b mistakes like braking in a turn - which I already learned about the hard way.
dmross is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #16
altoid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189864
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmross View Post
9 points total IIRC. I did fine on the fig-8 box and swerving but I think I lost some in the 135deg turn because I was trying to hold the throttle barely cracked open and it was really jerky (on/off). I also kept getting told I was going a little too fast for the braking sections during the day, so during the testing I think I went too slow!
Neener, neener, I had 6.

Perfect figure-8 (not a single practice one was anywhere near perfect, so I just went for it with the counter-lean while praying not to drop the bike and it worked like a charm!), perfect swerve (though I'm far from satisfied with it), 1 point for 1ft over the 13ft braking distance limit (I wanted to make sure I passed the braking cones, so I waited a bit longer), and 5 points for going too slowly through the final curve.

Highest new rider score. Beat some occasional riders. Possibly the person with least manual car experience.
altoid is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
red jester
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193233
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo
Vehicle:
2003 bugeye wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoid View Post
Neener, neener, I had 6.

Perfect figure-8 (not a single practice one was anywhere near perfect, so I just went for it with the counter-lean while praying not to drop the bike and it worked like a charm!), perfect swerve (though I'm far from satisfied with it), 1 point for 1ft over the 13ft braking distance limit (I wanted to make sure I passed the braking cones, so I waited a bit longer), and 5 points for going too slowly through the final curve.

Highest new rider score. Beat some occasional riders. Possibly the person with least manual car experience.
I had a perfect score when I took it.

The TW-200 was the perfect "bike" to be on. Man I love that thing still.
red jester is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #18
altoid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189864
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red jester View Post
I had a perfect score when I took it.
Nice! Did you have any experience prior to it?
altoid is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #19
red jester
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193233
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo
Vehicle:
2003 bugeye wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezaL2345 View Post
thanks for your input

Well thats good to hear. Can you give me a rundown on things you've noticed/learned about the bike as you progressed? Things to look out for and such
Take it slow. You will have seasons ahead to feel it out and learn the limits of the bike. When you start to feel comfortable remind yourself you are still a novice and not to be a dumb ass on it. Many times I have had to restrain from dropping a couple gears and hammering it going into a corner. A couple times I am glad I did because there was dirt/sand, or it was a road I didn't know and had a decreasing radius turn, etc. Keep both wheels on the ground. Also I found it helpful to go out away from people and cars and practice emergency stops and quick lane changes. But that may just be me.

Notice that all this advice is about you and not the bike. Remember that your bike will gladly hang you if you give it the rope.
red jester is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #20
Neek
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3400
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2016 Red Pirate Cat
1981 CJ-7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red jester View Post
. Also I found it helpful to go out away from people and cars and practice emergency stops and quick lane changes.
This, practice, particularly what I call the 'punch' technique for understanding what countersteering really is. In an emergency lane change/swerve, punch the hand forward that's closest to the direction you want to go. In other words, to swerve to the right, or change lanes to the right, punch the right hand forward (which actually turns the handlebars to the left) and you can feel the lean start to the right.
Neek is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #21
red jester
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 193233
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo
Vehicle:
2003 bugeye wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoid View Post
Nice! Did you have any experience prior to it?
Some time on a dirt bike but not a whole lot.
red jester is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #22
bemani
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5673
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Folsom, CA
Vehicle:
16 Hellcat,19Miata
05 LGT, 02 bug eye

Default

Did a loop through Yosemite and back today. 13 hours on the saddle. My ass hurts
bemani is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #23
altoid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189864
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red jester View Post
Some time on a dirt bike but not a whole lot.
Cool. I keep loudly proclaiming that I've never even sat on one, as if that would garner me extra points.
altoid is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #24
DeusExMachina
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13485
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Denver, CO
Vehicle:
OMG EJ22T
FTW

Default

As self-serving as it sounds, my MSF instructor talked a little about a new class being run by MSF where you ride their bikes in a group on the streets. Sort of a "next steps" for those not comfortable with the streets yet.
DeusExMachina is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #25
OL
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 104387
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Belgica
Vehicle:
2017 Peugeot Expert
and sum bikes

Default

No love for the Sixtyniner?

Haydens pass on Whoregay was freakin awesome. Stuff it, pretty boy

"Fourth place? Not again. Not today."


OL is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SURABAYA v3.0 RoToReX7 Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 0 07-30-2004 09:20 PM
Western Mass Dinner #22 6/3/04 - Hooters v3.0 AWDPilot New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 48 06-07-2004 12:15 AM
Assembly V3.0...Only steps away jetfan8178 Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain 0 05-13-2004 02:53 PM
STi Floor mat GB part v3.0 NinosAutoAccesories Vendor 'Group Buy' Classifieds 198 11-06-2003 03:40 PM
IggBore v3.0 DIY intake IggDawg Normally Aspirated Powertrain 25 08-21-2003 10:09 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.