Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday January 19, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Alaskan Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Alaskan Impreza Club Forum -- AKIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #2551
Akrexak
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 100607
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Offutt, NE
Vehicle:
2019 STI-His
14 XT-Hers

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _davin View Post
Is there a way to watch it other than vimeo?

Watched a couple of Top Gear US episodes recently, the one about Alaskan convertibles was stupid but the one about rallying had some cool footage at the very least. I can't believe Subaru let Tanner barrow Higgins's rally car.
I was amazed he got the car too, I also agree the Alaska one was stupid and disappointing.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Akrexak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #2552
exogen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 355393
Join Date: May 2013
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage!
Vehicle:
03 wrx 4eat
psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _davin View Post
Is there a way to watch it other than vimeo?

Watched a couple of Top Gear US episodes recently, the one about Alaskan convertibles was stupid but the one about rallying had some cool footage at the very least. I can't believe Subaru let Tanner barrow Higgins's rally car.
Not sure, I been lookin for a free torrent, I'm too broke to afford it atm tho I will buy it when I start working.

I'd let Tanner drive it, guy knows how to drive, plus I think the rally usa season is over lol. Got time to fix it if Tanner breaks something lol.
exogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #2553
MrRicH
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150452
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2016 Subaru WRX STi
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalwrx View Post
The screw heads on those are relatively soft so if they have never came loose before becareful not strip them out. I've changed those gaskets out a couple times already.
Yeah, I found that out first hand, fortunately didn't strip them, but definitely going to replace those with something much stronger. changed the gasket but not getting much of any improvement. Next comes the carb cleaner and Q-Tip treatment. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosseywrx View Post
I still have my bounce idle at cold start at times. Ive cleaned my iacv and replaced gasket and still have problems.

I think my iacv is just done. 05 wrx dbc
I'm starting to feel similar. I'm going to give it a huge cleaning and if it fails to resolve, might try replacing the IACV controller and pray for the best.
MrRicH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #2554
AKSubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6214
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Wasilly
Vehicle:
01.5 Audi S4
www.motorsportsalaska.com

Default

Sooo, I'll do a search later on today, BUT my mom's '02 Outback Sport has developed a strange leak, where there is water on the passenger floor well after it has been raining. (I also assume a carwash as well).

Could this be a bad door seal gasket, or are there drain channels somewhere that are clogged or no longer sealed causing the water to seep/leak?
AKSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #2555
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSubie View Post
Sooo, I'll do a search later on today, BUT my mom's '02 Outback Sport has developed a strange leak, where there is water on the passenger floor well after it has been raining. (I also assume a carwash as well).

Could this be a bad door seal gasket, or are there drain channels somewhere that are clogged or no longer sealed causing the water to seep/leak?
Could possibly be the wiring grommet from the door to the chassis is getting old, decaying, and allowing water to seep in.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #2556
AKSubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6214
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Wasilly
Vehicle:
01.5 Audi S4
www.motorsportsalaska.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Could possibly be the wiring grommet from the door to the chassis is getting old, decaying, and allowing water to seep in.
Hmm, might have to look into that. I do recall when she mentioned it to me there looked to be some moisture on the floor mats, kind of underneath the dash a bit.
AKSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #2557
LiLpNoY
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94836
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
2oo5 STi Aspen
2o12 PiLoT CherrY

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRicH View Post
Anyone catch "The Blacklist" on NBC the other night? I DVR'd it and I'm already hooked as long as the next 2-3 episodes don't drop the ball. Super suspenseful and interesting.

http://www.nbc.com/the-blacklist/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_qgX7pTlc
Just watched the first 2 eps. My vote for best new series.
LiLpNoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #2558
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSubie View Post
Hmm, might have to look into that. I do recall when she mentioned it to me there looked to be some moisture on the floor mats, kind of underneath the dash a bit.
I only guess this because in my BRZ there's a nice hole directly from the door to the body that, if ever the rubber tube were to be exposed, water would just drench into there. We actually left this hole exposed because it's a PITA to cover back up after feeding wires through it for my side mirror swap. Thus the price for being an early adopter of a mod.

Otherwise I can't think of many other entrances for outside water to seep in and settle on to the floor.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #2559
AKSubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6214
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Wasilly
Vehicle:
01.5 Audi S4
www.motorsportsalaska.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I only guess this because in my BRZ there's a nice hole directly from the door to the body that, if ever the rubber tube were to be exposed, water would just drench into there. We actually left this hole exposed because it's a PITA to cover back up after feeding wires through it for my side mirror swap. Thus the price for being an early adopter of a mod.

Otherwise I can't think of many other entrances for outside water to seep in and settle on to the floor.
Thanks, next time I am over there I'll check it out. Hopefully will also have some other ideas from my forum searching by then too.
AKSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #2560
tribalwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32993
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: anchorage,alaska
Vehicle:
vf39 Best trap 110
Best ET 12.51 Dale tuned

Default

Ok just incase some didn't know about this(well mainly cause I just found out LOL) I'm in the autozone on muldoon and they have the german 0w30 castrol syn oil , think I just found my winter oil change lol
tribalwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #2561
_davin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 260501
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Vehicle:
2003 miata SE
Blurple

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exogen View Post

Not sure, I been lookin for a free torrent, I'm too broke to afford it atm tho I will buy it when I start working.
My TV has YouTube/hulu/Netflix apps, I'll check tonight if I can get vimeo on it and just buy it if so.
Can you get vimeo on the ps3?
_davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #2562
bjcarter2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227288
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Palmer, AK
Vehicle:
2006 MCS JCW
Pepper White

Default

In case you active and retired military folks missed it...

Free Military Sam’s Club Membership Until Shutdown Ends

Read more: http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2013/10/f...2887570&rank=3
bjcarter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #2563
Akrexak
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 100607
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Offutt, NE
Vehicle:
2019 STI-His
14 XT-Hers

Default

Beer, I got a case of Alaskan Amber from a co-worker. Love ice cold Alaskan Amber.
Akrexak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #2564
FourWeeks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 363670
Join Date: Jul 2013
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage
Vehicle:
1990 Nissan 240SX
Alpine White

Default

Have you tried King Street Brewing Co? Their Hefeweizen is my favorite microbrew
FourWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #2565
Akrexak
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 100607
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Offutt, NE
Vehicle:
2019 STI-His
14 XT-Hers

Default

No I haven't but I will next weekend. I'm a huge fan of Alaskan Amber, most of their beer is awesome.

EDIT!! Yuuuuup!

Last edited by Akrexak; 10-06-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Akrexak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #2566
AKSubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6214
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Wasilly
Vehicle:
01.5 Audi S4
www.motorsportsalaska.com

Default

Denali brewing is also a very good brewery. I have taken a liking to the "Single Engine Red" variety as of late. Actually am now preferring it to my standard (and long preferred) staple of Guiness.

During the summer I have also grown found of the "Wild Black" ale from ... oddly enough AB. (woot woot, my home town brewer, LOL)
AKSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #2567
AKSubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6214
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Wasilly
Vehicle:
01.5 Audi S4
www.motorsportsalaska.com

Default

speaking of beer, anyone here of this stuff?
http://www.thrillist.com/own/nation/...f-beer-is-here
AKSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #2568
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalwrx View Post
Ok just incase some didn't know about this(well mainly cause I just found out LOL) I'm in the autozone on muldoon and they have the german 0w30 castrol syn oil , think I just found my winter oil change lol
This is notable…..a change from Rotella?
Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #2569
tribalwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 32993
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: anchorage,alaska
Vehicle:
vf39 Best trap 110
Best ET 12.51 Dale tuned

Default

If I do switch it would be closer to January before I did, just been thinking of trying it during the coldest months here is all
tribalwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #2570
bjcarter2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227288
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Palmer, AK
Vehicle:
2006 MCS JCW
Pepper White

Default

I tried the Castrol Syntec and my car consumed the hell out of it. The same with the Pennzoil Platinum.

The Rotella was consumed very minimally compared to those two.

I was using the 5/30 vice the 0/30 you're looking at.

I'm running Royal Purple HPS 5W30 now and this new motor likes it so far - very little consumption even during break-in.

I'm going to send off a sample for analysis to Blackstone Labs on the next change.

Last edited by bjcarter2; 10-06-2013 at 06:09 PM.
bjcarter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #2571
Nomadgene
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22923
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: International
Location: above 8000 rpm!
Vehicle:
2002 EJ207 V8 1.5xtr
TWIN-SCROLL Black Bugeye

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarter2 View Post
I'm going to send off a sample for analysis to Blackstone Labs on the next change.
please keep us updated BJ.

did you do the customary break in oil change at a couple hundred miles?

Nomadgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #2572
Boomer907
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 217740
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: The box with the other tools..
Vehicle:
2008 Dodge ram 1500
Maroon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarter2 View Post
I tried the Castrol Syntec and my car consumed the hell out of it. The same with the Pennzoil Platinum.

The Rotella was consumed very minimally compared to those two.

I was using the 5/30 vice the 0/30 you're looking at.

I'm running Royal Purple HPS 5W30 now and this new motor likes it so far - very little consumption even during break-in.

I'm going to send off a sample for analysis to Blackstone Labs on the next change.
How're you trending your oil analysis results? Are you doing it to track wear metal breakdown? How often are you sending in samples and do you have a history?
Boomer907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #2573
bjcarter2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227288
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Palmer, AK
Vehicle:
2006 MCS JCW
Pepper White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer907 View Post
How're you trending your oil analysis results? Are you doing it to track wear metal breakdown? How often are you sending in samples and do you have a history?
I haven't sent the first sample in yet. I don't think I have 1,000 yet so your questions are a bit early. I will however be doing a 1,500 mile change and send a sample in then. I will post the report when I get the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post
please keep us updated BJ.

did you do the customary break in oil change at a couple hundred miles?

Will do! I did one at about 600 miles and will do another at 1500 and every 3000 after that. I may use the OA to extend oil changes. We'll see what the first few reports say.
bjcarter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #2574
cosseywrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 276443
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Abilene, TX
Vehicle:
2005 2.1 stroker WRX
OBP

Default

Test fitting for my trip to Texas!
cosseywrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #2575
Boomer907
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 217740
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: The box with the other tools..
Vehicle:
2008 Dodge ram 1500
Maroon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarter2 View Post
I haven't sent the first sample in yet. I don't think I have 1,000 yet so your questions are a bit early. I will however be doing a 1,500 mile change and send a sample in then. I will post the report when I get the results.



Will do! I did one at about 600 miles and will do another at 1500 and every 3000 after that. I may use the OA to extend oil changes. We'll see what the first few reports say.
Well I do oil analysis for a living on aircraft engines. Anytime you completely drain your oil you reset the trend because it's not accurate. If you're going to do it, take samples every 1k miles to establish a trend, not when you drain and flush your oil.
Boomer907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.