Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday January 28, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #2901
peglegsteve
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209987
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2009 Slow WRX
Slower Prius

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALOKIN View Post
Manual states 7500 mile oci.
I thought that 7500 mile suggestion was only for NA cars? My dealer told me that 2900 miles was too soon, then immediately apologized and said that limit doesn't apply to turbo cars.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
peglegsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #2902
ALOKIN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348177
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: TX
Vehicle:
2002 Bugeye
Haltech GTX3584RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegsteve View Post
I thought that 7500 mile suggestion was only for NA cars? My dealer told me that 2900 miles was too soon, then immediately apologized and said that limit doesn't apply to turbo cars.
http://i.imgur.com/KwC3hOF.jpg

Its in the manual for my 13 sti as well. Not that I agree with stretching it out that long, esp with subaru piss oil.
ALOKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #2903
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALOKIN View Post
http://i.imgur.com/KwC3hOF.jpg

Its in the manual for my 13 sti as well. Not that I agree with stretching it out that long, esp with subaru piss oil.
You should actually read the manual.....it says the same thing it's said since the begining of time.

If you notice it says note 1 at the end. You then need to go a few pages later to find out what that means.....clearly no one ever does it. You'd find this.


Now does that mean everyone falls into it? No it doesn't. Do some? Yes. Would you consider severe duty if you are one that does drive more spirited than most then you shou should probably follow the severe duty interval.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #2904
ALOKIN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348177
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: TX
Vehicle:
2002 Bugeye
Haltech GTX3584RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
You should actually read the manual.....it says the same thing it's said since the begining of time.

If you notice it says note 1 at the end. You then need to go a few pages later to find out what that means.....clearly no one ever does it. You'd find this.


Now does that mean everyone falls into it? No it doesn't. Do some? Yes. Would you consider severe duty if you are one that does drive more spirited than most then you shou should probably follow the severe duty interval.
Ok. So whats your point? They still start at 7500 oci and work down from there based on use, NOT wether or not its turbo or NA model?
ALOKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #2905
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALOKIN View Post
Ok. So whats your point? They still start at 7500 oci and work down from there based on use, NOT wether or not its turbo or NA model?
Never said anything about turbo or n/a cars.... You stated the oci was 7,500. I stated that's not true at all depending on use and showed you how to operate the manual...
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #2906
ALOKIN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348177
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: TX
Vehicle:
2002 Bugeye
Haltech GTX3584RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
Never said anything about turbo or n/a cars.... You stated the oci was 7,500. I stated that's not true at all depending on use and showed you how to operate the manual...
Lulz, wut?

The recommended oci IS 7500 miles for normal operation. Its adjusted for severe duty. Like most things in life the harder you are on something the more maintenance it requires. Doesn't stop mfrs from issuing maintenance intervals based on how a large portion of customers will use said product, ie normal use.

I said recommended oci is 7500mi, it is. Guy said he thought it was different between turbo and na. Its not. You popped in to spout something lame, in a feeble attempt to make yourself relevant to the conversation and failed.
ALOKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #2907
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALOKIN View Post
Lulz, wut?

The recommended oci IS 7500 miles for normal operation. Its adjusted for severe duty. Like most things in life the harder you are on something the more maintenance it requires. Doesn't stop mfrs from issuing maintenance intervals based on how a large portion of customers will use said product, ie normal use.

I said recommended oci is 7500mi, it is. Guy said he thought it was different between turbo and na. Its not. You popped in to spout something lame, in a feeble attempt to make yourself relevant to the conversation and failed.
How is it lame? You can't tell someone it's 7,500 when you have no clue how one drives it. It's ok that you never actually read the manual correctly even though it was right there in front of you. No one ever does....
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:37 AM   #2908
ALOKIN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 348177
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: TX
Vehicle:
2002 Bugeye
Haltech GTX3584RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
How is it lame? You can't tell someone it's 7,500 when you have no clue how one drives it. It's ok that you never actually read the manual correctly even though it was right there in front of you. No one ever does....
I dont know how they'll drive it, but guess what... Subaru knows the probability of how most of their customers will drive it, hence they can make a recommendation based on most users and label it "normal" which happens to be 7500 miles as stated in the manual. Outliers need to be adjusted for as they do.

Geeze dude, you can argue your goofy logic with anything. How about home hvac airfilters....they say change em every 30 days....but you could be a chain smoker that runs a cat grooming biz out of your house and you need to change them more frequently than what the mfr recommends. Who cares...the standard change interval is STILL 30 days and the mfr is going to list it as such.
ALOKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #2909
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALOKIN View Post
I dont know how they'll drive it, but guess what... Subaru knows the probability of how most of their customers will drive it, hence they can make a recommendation based on most users and label it "normal" which happens to be 7500 miles as stated in the manual. Outliers need to be adjusted for as they do.

Geeze dude, you can argue your goofy logic with anything. How about home hvac airfilters....they say change em every 30 days....but you could be a chain smoker that runs a cat grooming biz out of your house and you need to change them more frequently than what the mfr recommends. Who cares...the standard change interval is STILL 30 days and the mfr is going to list it as such.
You are still missing something here. It's clearly printed in black and white the oci for severe duty driving is 3750...no matter what logic you try and spin to it the manufacture still recommends 3750 for severe duty driving and 7500 for normal driving. I'm not fabbing up a number, this is directly from Subaru. And correct me if I'm wrong but I know at least a lot of the fb's were lowered down to 6k miles. Not sure what the new cars are.

Your second paragraph sums up you in a nut shell. That is actually a great example so if you actually read the manual from Subaru you'd understand better. So we'll pretend now this is a Subaru hvac unit in your house. What Subaru is saying is change your home air filter every 30 days, if you have a lot of animals and have tons of dust lingering because you never clean your house and say maybe you are severely gassy....then you should change your home filer every 15 days. Does this make sense now pumpkin?
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #2910
moosemudder
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 401889
Join Date: Sep 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Central Florida
Default 2014 WRX Engine No Longer Works

For all the warranty's that are approved of how does the loaner car work out. Currently my wife's car is at the dealership (12/5) and they are stating there are three other cars with engine failure infront of hers. Because of this they will not authorize a loaner car until maybe Thursday (12/10) or Friday (12/11) when they finally look at hers. Is this typical with all Subaru Service shops? The car is stock with 29K miles on it. My wife and I are Subaru Ambassadors and it makes it difficult telling other people about Subaru's when you are not driving one especially when we are attempting to go to meets and stuff. If and when we do get a loaner what do you usually get? We lucked out since I picked up a miata for racing but it would be nice to know that we could get a loaner car sooner if we really needed one.
moosemudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #2911
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

I think it comes down to the fact they do not want to put you in one because at this point Subaru has not said if it is a covered repair or not. Once they start on the diagnosis/repair and SOA authorizes this, then they may put you in alternate transportation.

Have you called SOA on this? Sometimes they may step up and authorize/agree to help you out on the rental now.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #2912
moosemudder
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 401889
Join Date: Sep 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Central Florida
Default

I haven't contacted soa yet as I figured the dealership would offer some type of loaner. When I worked at enterprise the Chevy dealership loaners were given out for half day jobs but clearly that isn't the case for Subaru. I will be pissed if this is denied. We will see how this plays out.
moosemudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #2913
blackfang
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 131347
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond Va
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE
98 Z/28, VN 900 custom

Default

Each dealerships are different. Some have a loaner fleet, some do not.
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #2914
wrxlaunch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181298
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 FUQ21BottiTuned
Full Bolt on Flex Fuel

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemudder View Post
Currently my wife's car is at the dealership (12/5) and they are stating there are three other cars with engine failure infront of hers. Because of this they will not authorize a loaner car until maybe Thursday (12/10) or Friday (12/11) when they finally look at hers. Is this typical with all Subaru Service shops?
So you want to cut the line and get a car right away huh...? Be patient, Clients ahead of you need to be taken care of as well.
wrxlaunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #2915
moosemudder
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 401889
Join Date: Sep 2014
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Central Florida
Default

I understand that wrxlaunch but after reading most the comments on this section, a subaru is all some people have to get around. It would suck if that was your only vehicle and having to figure out what to do if you have kids and a far travel to work. On top of this it appears that most people have dropped all their money on some mods and can no longer pay for any of the repairs if it comes down to that so you know it will be even more difficult to rent a car. We just lucked out having a miata in the garage.
moosemudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:37 AM   #2916
MonsterDGM003
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 364940
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default

Name:

Make: 2013 Base STI Sedan

Mileage: 36003

Time Out Of Use: 1 week up to 5 weeks

Problem And Likely Cause: Failure of Piston #1 completely shattering

Modifications: Stage 1 Cobb Tune

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Reason Given For Denial: I was not denied, but offered a 50% of cost deal to replace/rebuild the engine.

Your Story:
Car was well maintained, failure was not due to lack of lubrication. Oil was changed less than 5000 miles ago.

SOA did not give me full details into what happened, but i was told that the car was operated outside the parameters of the vehicles intended purposes so the damage was not covered, and the 50% was a offered as a sign of good will.

I was understandably upset that I was being treated like a criminal, and i expressed that to the SOA agent. I requested a call back from a supervisor to escalate the case etc.

It seems like they already made up their minds about the whole situation even before the tear down started.

They said the car was 'overreved' and 'overboosted' but failed to give me any supporting evidence to how. I told them I used the tune for economical purposes etc. but I don't think they care.

Please advise.
MonsterDGM003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:51 AM   #2917
JRim
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 246777
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange, CA
Vehicle:
99 2.5 RS
White

Default

You play, you pay. Tuning your car with a Cobb AP gives Subaru a reason to not cover the repair. Read the manual that came with your Accessport. You assume the risks, Cobb is not responsible. It can/will cause denial of engine repairs under warranty. Subaru stock rod bearings cannot handle the extra power/boost. They get pounded flat. If you want warranty coverage, keep it stock. If you want extra power, go ahead but know if it breaks, you own it.
JRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:53 AM   #2918
MonsterDGM003
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 364940
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRim View Post
You play, you pay. Tuning your car with a Cobb AP gives Subaru a reason to not cover the repair. Read the manual that came with your Accessport. You assume the risks, Cobb is not responsible. It can/will cause denial of engine repairs under warranty. Subaru stock rod bearings cannot handle the extra power/boost. They get pounded flat. If you want warranty coverage, keep it stock. If you want extra power, go ahead but know if it breaks, you own it.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I guess I'm blessed they are offering to pay 50%.

Thanks for the advice.
MonsterDGM003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #2919
wuuusaa
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 92894
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Lane splitting in Cali.
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRim View Post
You play, you pay. Tuning your car with a Cobb AP gives Subaru a reason to not cover the repair. Read the manual that came with your Accessport. You assume the risks, Cobb is not responsible. It can/will cause denial of engine repairs under warranty. Subaru stock rod bearings cannot handle the extra power/boost. They get pounded flat. If you want warranty coverage, keep it stock. If you want extra power, go ahead but know if it breaks, you own it.
I know this all to well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterDGM003 View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I guess I'm blessed they are offering to pay 50%.

Thanks for the advice.
Man you are lucky at least they are covering half of it.

They (SOA) told me screw myself(not literally).

I'm glad I didn't waste my money a service contract for nothing.

Are you going to do another stock block or built?
wuuusaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #2920
damol1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 437683
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default Warranty denial

Make: 2015 Forester XT

Mileage: 12906

Time Out Of Use: Open for debate

Problem And Likely Cause: Differential fluid plug loose
Modifications: No mechanical modifications

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

This morning I dropped of my 2015 Forester XT at a local dealership because I have seen some oil on my garage floor. The service adviser called me back an hour ago stating that my warranty will not cover the repairs because all the differential fluid has drained out and the transmission fluid is overfilled. On top of that he claimed that my engine oil was 1/2 quart low even though I changed the oil a month ago and checked it a week ago and it was not low. He stated that the differential fluid cap was lose and someone tempered with it. I did two oil changes on the car myself and no one else has touched the car. It was at a different Subaru dealer 6 months ago for an inspection because I complained about poor gas millage.

The service adviser told me that I need a new trani and front differential and I have to pay $ 8000 out of pocket.
He told me to call the 1800 Subaru national service hotline.
I did and was told that they would do an investigation and will contact me by Tuesday next week.

Did anyone have similar issues and what outcome can I expect?
Please let me know. I am freaking out.
damol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #2921
JRim
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 246777
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange, CA
Vehicle:
99 2.5 RS
White

Default Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Drivetrain (Engine, Tranny, Diff, Etc.)

Sounds like they are going to contend that you tried changing your transmission oil too (unsuccessfully). If you drained the diff and refilled the transmission, you would not be the first person that did that. If the diff was empty and the transmission overfilled upon inspection, it sounds like the evidence supports that. Was there any odd noises when you drove it in? If not, why are they recommending replacement? Correct the fluid levels and drive it. If there is any chance you accidentally drained the diff, call Subaru customer relations and ask for goodwill assistance. It's not like you modified/abused it. It was an innocent (but expensive) mistake. I've seen Subaru help in crazier circumstances.
JRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #2922
ZCD
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 438310
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

Your car insurance could also cover any damages. Or just fill both properly and trade the car in.... just kidding.
ZCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:03 AM   #2923
Yourbrodank
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387869
Join Date: Apr 2014
Vehicle:
2014 WRX

Default

Make: 2014 WRX

Mileage: 28K

Time Out Of Use: 2 months now

Problem And Likely Cause: Piston #1 cracked, motor ate bearing #2

Modifications:
Invidia q300 catless turboback
Perrin CAI
Process West Verticooler
FIC 1100CC injectors - E85

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Your Story: Subaru is providing me a brand new block but i must return the car to stock. Motor failed after an oil change.

Last edited by Yourbrodank; 02-03-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Yourbrodank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #2924
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourbrodank View Post
Make: 2014 WRX

Mileage: 28K

Time Out Of Use: 2 months now

Problem And Likely Cause: Piston #1 cracked, motor ate bearing #2

Modifications:
Invidia q300 catless turboback
Perrin CAI
Process West Verticooler
FIC 1100CC injectors

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): Yes

Your Story: Subaru is providing me a brand new block but i must return the car to stock. Motor failed 300 miles after an oil change.

Another case of a dealer suggesting warranty fraud?

I'm never glad to see cases like this taken care of by Subaru.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #2925
peglegsteve
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209987
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2009 Slow WRX
Slower Prius

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post
Another case of a dealer suggesting warranty fraud?

I'm never glad to see cases like this taken care of by Subaru.
It's fine. We all know SOA browses this forum. I'm sure they can still deny the claim
peglegsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Electrical (Lighting, ECU, Sensors, Etc.) North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 141 10-26-2019 01:59 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Suspension North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 58 10-19-2019 05:03 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Braking System North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 97 09-27-2019 01:46 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Body/Exterior of Vehicle North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 146 03-02-2019 01:31 PM
Trouble/Warranty Denial Report Thread: Interior North Ursalia Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 71 11-14-2018 09:18 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.