Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
tehnation
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 343855
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Stg 3

Default BC Stage 2+ cams

I was about to buy some stage 2 cams, when suddenly I see that BC is making a billet stage 2+ cam, a 276 as opposed to the stage 2 272 or stage 3 280. Anyone familiar with these cams? They seem tempting.
tehnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing LLC
search FIRST, then PM!!!

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/subaru/ej257.shtml

Interesting to see they made that new 276 grind but left their 280 billet as the same specs.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
ripman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305707
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
1999 WRX
WRC Blue

The intake closes 20 degrees later than the bc272. Your dynamic compression will be well down, bottom end torque will suffer. Notice they have widened the LSA out by 7 degrees to help give it some manners. It's basically a 280. BC measure their cams at .050 so don't be fooled comparing to Kelford and others specs @.040, there is 3-4 degrees extra in that .010 lift believe it or not.
ripman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing LLC
search FIRST, then PM!!!

I thought only their duration was taken from 0.050". Lift is total (net) lift...

But yeah man, I didn't even check the cards. 10* more duration from .050" is a big jump from their 272. intake Centerline made a bit shift as well. Good catch on the intake being 9 ATDC. Guess they're banking on you using all that AVCS to advance cam timing downlow.

By their nominal measurements. You would have 11 degrees around top dead center where the exhaust was already closed and the intake wasn't open, versus 8 degrees on their 272.

I think it'll be interesting to see how the street manners actually are with AVCS. I don't think it'll be that bad.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
ripman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 WRX
WRC Blue

[quote=Homemade WRX;45660355]I thought only their duration was taken from 0.050". Lift is total (net) lift...

QUOTE]

What I was talking about there Homemade is the duration between .040 and .050 measures around 3 degrees either side of the ramp as a comparison to say a Kelford which are measured at .040. I measured my BC272's @.040 when I degreed them for interest sake and there was more like 228* @.040 lift. I've noticed a lot of people on here saying the bc272 is closer to a Kelford 264 but they are not looking at the checking heights and likely don't degree their own cams so don't have the full insight.

Good point on the AVCS, I hadn't considered that being in the old school non avcs '99 wrx. That would save the day.

I tightened the lobe centres by a couple of degrees under advice from my block builder- who has used bc's a lot - for bottom end torque production. It seems to have worked making 270hp by 4000 and power still climbing @ 6800 on a stock location turbo. AVCS would be awesome to have and be able to open them back out at higher rpm but too much pissing about with coolant etc to experiment with such things on static adjustable gears unfortunately.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
mekilljoydammit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 258151
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

Just as a note, usually it's about 5-6 degrees difference between measuring @0.040" and 0.050".

Wish someone would send me examples of the various BC offerings to measure, I am curious.
mekilljoydammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
ripman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 WRX
WRC Blue

Thumbs up

Last edited by ripman; 05-25-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
tehnation
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Stg 3

822 bucks... **** it, I pulled the trigger!
Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
tehnation
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Stg 3

And out of stock until september...... I was thinking about going with kelford or gsc 272's but they require modification according to their websites, I like simple rebuild bolt on. If I can't find the bc stage 2 billet, i will probably go the bc 272 or 280 billet route. Main reason I like the BC's is because they don't require any filing, I know the gsc's do, not sure about kelford, but I think they do. I looked into crower camshafts, brian crowers daddy, but you need to know facts and numbers because they make them all custom . I know some stuff, but when you guys started talking all this timing and degrees ..... I get the principle but not enough to get one custom made, I would basically cheat and say copy that!