Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 21, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-12-2003, 11:41 PM   #1
Bankheist
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2237
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2000 GC8 STi
2015 Ford Mustang GT

Default Help: Foglight and Gauge Wiring Questions

Hey guys,

I'm trying to wire my fog lights to an independent switch from stock. I want the fog lights to be on whenever I choose (so long as the power is on.... so even if none of my lights are on (parking or main/high) I can turn them on.... Like if I'm driving down the road in the daylight with no lights on, I can flash my fogs if needed.

Where and what would I tap for that???
Also, where is the Fog light relay located on the GC8???

Next question, I have some Greddy gauges in the A-pillar, (oil temp and EGT) I originally wired them to the power, unfortunately, they came on as long as the car was in accessory... I didnt want that, I want them on when my parking or main lights are on. I switched over to the parking light wire as my power, then it was almost right!

It was all of a sudden toggled to the dimmer switch... with reverse polarity!!! so when my inside illumination was bright, my gauges were dark.. and vice versa!

I dont really care if they toggle with the dimmer, I'd just like them on when I turn the Light stem on the steering column to "parking" or "main" (as well as high

Any suggestions, advice, or how to knowledge would greatly welcomed!

-Kevin
Bankheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2003, 11:44 PM   #2
Bankheist
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2000 GC8 STi
2015 Ford Mustang GT

I'm also fairly sure that scoobymods or anywhere on NASIOC will have had a question like this as this is very particular

Old 02-13-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
Bankheist
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2000 GC8 STi
2015 Ford Mustang GT

anyone????
Old 02-14-2003, 08:32 PM   #4
Bankheist
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2000 GC8 STi
2015 Ford Mustang GT

cmon electrical gurus!!!
Old 02-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #5
munkis
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1847
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
Team Broken: V6 GF
rallyarmor.com

bump
munkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
Bimmer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 4116
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza TS
White

Bankheist,

1. The fog light mod you're talking about is on scoobymods, and has been posted here on nasioc over and over again. The thread shouldn't be hard to find, and the mod is easy.

2. I don't understand why you only want your gauges to work with your lights on... but, hey, different strokes.
AFAIK, this will be quite difficult, if not impossible. Subaru uses switched grounds (which sucks, IMHO), so the wires to the lights are hot whenever the car is on, and but they only come on when the ground is switched on... so if you tap into the parking light wires you'll get power all the time... What ought to be simple is a major headache (thank Subaru).

In any case, it sounds like you need a wiring diagram and a test light... the first is about $17.- (or downloadable as a pdf for free) and the second should be about 99.

Good luck,

Ben
Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
Bankheist
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2000 GC8 STi
2015 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally posted by Bimmer
Bankheist,

1. The fog light mod you're talking about is on scoobymods, and has been posted here on nasioc over and over again. The thread shouldn't be hard to find, and the mod is easy.

No, this hasnt... I have yet been able to find anything about being able to wire it directly to ignition (and if you have, please show me)... Furthermore, my problems are complicated at the switch... you see, I would like to wire it to one of the two horn switches on my steering wheel... My problem is complicated because the button does not "stick" down... it acts like a normal horn... press the button, it will depress itself.... a friend of mine told me that there might be a digital switch out there that would recognize when I've hit the button once to turn "on" the lights, and once again to turn "off" the lights.

Once again, I'm not a wiring guru, I know very little to be honest, and anything you can offer would be wonderful....

PS... is there such an animal as a digital switch?

-Kevin
Old 02-19-2003, 06:51 PM   #8
SubbyRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17193
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy RS
White

Quote:
you see, I would like to wire it to one of the two horn switches on my steering wheel...
this will prove tricky because while you have 2 switches on the wheel, they're connected to a brass "ring" underneath the centre pad - so you only effectively have one switch....
It's a good idea you've got & I reckon it would be pretty easy providing you can find the right hardware.....find a suitable "momentary action" push button switch that you can mount on your steering wheel centre pad & wire it in parallel with the factory Fog switch....every time you press it your fogs should flash.....at least that's my initial thinking, I haven't considered potential problems yet
SubbyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 06:55 PM   #9
SubbyRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17193
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy RS
White

I just re-read the post & my reply & started wondering if this would work with the USDM WRX....I know it will with my JDM Legacy but I was basing my answer on what I know about MY wiring (not yours)...
Do you have a separate fog switch as standard? If so, what I said should be ok...
SubbyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:25 PM   #10
Bankheist
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2000 GC8 STi
2015 Ford Mustang GT

Thank you for conmplimenting the idea, I think its pretty trick... (it must be, no one can figure it out )

At anyrate, I dont have the brass ring you speak of, That and my clock spring went out the window when the aftermarket wheel went in. each button has a postive and a ground leading from it to the horn and ground wires that are found with the Airbag wiring under the steering wheel.

You're right though, if I wired as is... all I would do is flash my foglights everytime I hit the switch, as soon as I let go, they'd go off.

I have the foglights currently wired to the stock foglight switch, that switch is the last remaining switch on that left side panel.. (deleted cruise control). I'd like to get rid of all switches and possibly put a monitoring device there one day.

Is there a type of device that will "fool" the switch into thinking I either want the lights on or off??? And I've already considered putting a different button into the wheel... That isn't going to happen, I'd have to remove all the leather wrap off of a $220 steering wheel and hope it all works

Please continue with the flow of thought guys

-Kevin