Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Southern California Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
strikerca
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164755
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default MY02 need SMOG

Hello... I have a MY02 that's COBB stage 1 (No catalytic converters) and I need to smog it... My question is, which CATTED down pipe I can install that would make my car pass smog? also would I have to flash the ECU back to factory map?

Any info would be appreciated.
thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
strikerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
SlammedSix
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419926
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: 06 FXT/08 STi/04 WRX/17 Outbac
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikerca View Post
Hello... I have a MY02 that's COBB stage 1 (No catalytic converters) and I need to smog it... My question is, which CATTED down pipe I can install that would make my car pass smog? also would I have to flash the ECU back to factory map?

Any info would be appreciated.
thanks.
Technically no performance catted downpipe other than the OEM catted downpipe should pass smog. If its anything other than stock is would have a CARB# on the cat, like Magnalow's OEM replacement downpipe with cat.

Technically you do not have to change the map back to stock, It shouldn't be there but they can't tell. So remove your AP and don't say anything about it
SlammedSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
strikerca
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164755
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default

Thank you for the info, just to be clear, if I replace the down pipe I have now with the stock catted down pipe, drive around for a bit then go get it SMOGed it should pass... correct?
strikerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
subiedrewbie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 190168
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Corona, CA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

Its all about your readiness monitors now... so If you are not throwing a code then potentially you could pass as is on the computer... but visual is where they would/should fail you. If you put stock DP back on and reflash you would need to drive for a bit since the ECU reset
subiedrewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
SlammedSix
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419926
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: 06 FXT/08 STi/04 WRX/17 Outbac
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikerca View Post
Thank you for the info, just to be clear, if I replace the down pipe I have now with the stock catted down pipe, drive around for a bit then go get it SMOGed it should pass... correct?
Put the stock downpipe on is a yes.

The only thing to pass smog is visually all the smog equipment is there and nothing looks modified. I had a buddy get failed because of a boost gauge. So depends on the tech how much of an ass he wants to be. But other than visual is all your monitors. If you plug in a code reader you should have an option that says readiness monitors, these all need to say completed. If you don't have them all say completed then there is specific drive cycles for certain monitors to run.

Hope that makes sense
SlammedSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
strikerca
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164755
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default

Got it, thanks again.
strikerca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
WRXkapa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 414328
Join Date: Feb 2015
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PDX
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedSix View Post
Put the stock downpipe on is a yes.

The only thing to pass smog is visually all the smog equipment is there and nothing looks modified. I had a buddy get failed because of a boost gauge. So depends on the tech how much of an ass he wants to be. But other than visual is all your monitors. If you plug in a code reader you should have an option that says readiness monitors, these all need to say completed. If you don't have them all say completed then there is specific drive cycles for certain monitors to run.

Hope that makes sense
Question about getting failed for visual. Does that part get sent to the DMV? Does it also depend on the person working and could they fail you visually and say to fix that and come back and not tell the dmv?
WRXkapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:35 PM   #8
SlammedSix
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419926
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: 06 FXT/08 STi/04 WRX/17 Outbac
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXkapa View Post
Question about getting failed for visual. Does that part get sent to the DMV? Does it also depend on the person working and could they fail you visually and say to fix that and come back and not tell the dmv?
If they start the smog test and then fail the car on a visual thing its submitted to the DMV. Remember it looks good to the state that they fail you, especially if it passes the electronic part and they "Catch" a visual problem. Once the test starts they can not abort it, if they do it looks very sketchy to the state.

There are some shops that will look over the car before they start the test and give you a heads up that something is an issue and you should correct that and bring it back. This would be the only way that the DMV does not know about you "Failing" a visual
SlammedSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
Gallo2011
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 268310
Join Date: Dec 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Kali
Vehicle:
2011 SSM STI saloon
Church!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedSix View Post

There are some shops that will look over the car before they start the test and give you a heads up that something is an issue and you should correct that and bring it back. This would be the only way that the DMV does not know about you "Failing" a visual
This is the example (from my experience) I shared with you, WRXkapa. The very first thing the guy testing my car did was pop the hood of my car and start poking around. He noted the CARB sticker for the Cobb SF intake and looked at the downpipe to assure it was stock. Had either of those things been aftermarket and non-CARB exempt, he would have told me to install the stock part and come back. As Slammed said, this is not how ALL testers operate. Some plug all the car's information into the computer as the first step, to prepare for the test. Once that's done, if the visual fails, the DMV's gonna find out about it.
Gallo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

the biggest problem is not the 2 after the turbo, but the one before. if you changed that one to a no catted up pipe like alot of do, you could ahve some problems with passsing. according to the book it says we have 3 cats but most of us take the first one off.
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
cartwheels4amile
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 190405
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
PSM

Default

FWIW, Iíve never had issues passing with my Grimmspeed uppipe.
cartwheels4amile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #12
Hagbeard
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 40286
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Vehicle:
'04 WRX Sedan
Platinum Silver

Default

Yeah, too hard to see the uppipe. I've passed several times with a catless uppipe.
Hagbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:41 PM   #13
subarumod
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468745
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SoCAL
Vehicle:
06 wrx
black as your girls soul.

Default

If you put the stock heat shields over the aftermarket downpipe. like magic...

most smog places just use a mirror to look under the car, if you hide up everything with heatshields and the stock weather protection.. Unless you havent had your car tuned and youre just throwing randoms parts on.. Your car will/should pass
subarumod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.