Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Southern California Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Fleecy_Puddle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496892
Default Rust's Effect on Resale Value - '06 WRX Wagon

So I might be moving from OH to the South West in a couple months and I am debating what I should do with the car when I do. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Car: 2006 WRX Limited Wagon, Red on Tan, 5MT, 107k miles, no modifications (as far as I can tell). No mechanical issues.

The issue: Rust. The car has been in Ohio all of its life, and is a bit rusty as a result. Nothing is major, mainly surface rust on the undercarriage, but the rust is bubbling the paint on the passenger rear wheel well (see pic). Best I can estimate, it would be $1-1.5k to repair the rust (cut and weld in new sheet metal, repaint) plus more to sandblast the undercarriage and re-undercoat.

My options:
1) Keep the car. I would keep the car for another couple years until I pay off my student loans, then sell and upgrade to something else. I think I would take a big hit on the resale value in the SW with the rust, and the simple fact its from Ohio.

2) Fix the rust and keep the car. The resale value will still take a hit, even if the rust repair is done properly.

3) Sell the car in Ohio before I leave. This could be tricky since I will have limited time (1-2 weeks), but the rust won't be as large of a sticking point.

Does anyone have a guess as to the decrease in value due to the rust if I tried to sell it as-is in the SW/SoCal area?

Thanks!
Fleecy_Puddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
AWD BRO
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488722
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5rs w/EJ20K
& 2 other GCs

Definitely sell the car before you move. With even rust like that you'll have a hard time trying to get anywhere close to what an identical rust free car in SoCal will sell for.
AWD BRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Exit 37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475618
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
World Rally Blue

You can repair the rust and take the resale value hit, or be lucky and sell it to someone looking for a track duty car or some dumb high schooler that'll pay asking price just boy race it until it's totaled.
Exit 37 is offline   Reply With Quote