Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
StrayS2K
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497585
Default Where can I put a testing water thread for my 15 WRX?

So this is sad. I'm normally an awesome contributor to car forums but this is my first post after 3 years w/ my WRX, and it's looking for help evaluating value of my ride :( I feel like I left y'all down and missed great opportunity. I definitely blame this on my twins :lol::lol: born around the same time I took ownership! Please forgive me- I've barely had time to modify my car lol.

I would like to say, my shi%^y forum contributions aside, it's been great being a part of the WRX community. I enjoyed every moment, from modifications to the Subie love on the road. I look forward to returning should I be successful in launching a business. In the meantime, I must part w/ one of my most prized possessions to fund said business. In the words of Otto Lilienthal, "Sacrifices must be made."

Can someone provide guidance on where I can post this? I've tried scrubbing the KBs and FAQs, and Google history. It appears I'd drop it in Classifieds per this history, but would rather ask for guidance here. And since this seems to be a relatively open section (and I know you all like pics, regardless!) I thought I would drop the information here. If you have a moment, please let me know what you think in terms of location, or sale price if acceptable.

Last edited by Jack; 02-10-2019 at 04:21 PM.
StrayS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Sooooo......you joined here to do a "for sale" thread?

In before lockdown.....

PS.....knowing where you live helps.
KBB depends on where you live.

GLWS.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
El Jefe de Jefes
*** Banned ***

Member#: 497588
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2020 el presidente
Red

El Jefe de Jefes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
StrayS2K
Scooby Newbie

Thank you, Charlie! I actually completed my 2016 registration to post and hopefully understand the value of my vehicle better. I think a lot of sellers are looking for full refund on their performance parts which is ridiculous. I'm asking for help to avoid that, as I do intend to sell it and not sit on it. I can list at valued price, but in consideration of potential wheel configuration, new brakes and clutch , for example, it's potentially worth more than next to another WRX priced the same.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
StrayS2K
Scooby Newbie

El Jefe- Thank you for link. I get it. That's why I am here
Old 02-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
El Jefe de Jefes
*** Banned ***

Member#: 497588
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2020 el presidente
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayS2K View Post
lI can list at valued price, but in consideration of potential wheel configuration, new brakes and clutch , for example, it's potentially worth more than next to another WRX priced the same.
That is where the problem is, those mods don't make the car more valuable, they make it less valuable. That is why I pointed you at the other thread, mods make cars less valuable not more until you get to the point of it being a full on track car.
El Jefe de Jefes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
StrayS2K
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe de Jefes View Post
That is where the problem is, those mods don't make the car more valuable, they make it less valuable. That is why I pointed you at the other thread, mods make cars less valuable not more until you get to the point of it being a full on track car.
Thank you, Jefe. I hadn't considered gold warranty, new OEM clutch, supplemental wheels and tires, or new brakes your typical "mods" a seller is trying to recoupe. I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

We have no place for a testing the waters thread. The Private Vehicles For Sale explains why, which in short says that either you're selling or you're not. If you don't know what to ask, then ask $39k and drop it $1k every couple days until people stop laughing.

With very few posts, you probably should stick with the NESIC private classifieds. We're not as strict there. We have a number of members who immediately report new members (low post #s) as just trying to use NASIOC as a craigslist, which isn't our purpose.

I deleted your ad that you included in your post. This ain't the place to put it.

Read the stickies (the second one has most everything) at the top of private vehicles for sale before posting, if you get some more "valid" posts.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
StrayS2K
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
We have no place for a testing the waters thread. The Private Vehicles For Sale explains why, which in short says that either you're selling or you're not. If you don't know what to ask, then ask $39k and drop it $1k every couple days until people stop laughing.

With very few posts, you probably should stick with the NESIC private classifieds. We're not as strict there. We have a number of members who immediately report new members (low post #s) as just trying to use NASIOC as a craigslist, which isn't our purpose.

I deleted your ad that you included in your post. This ain't the place to put it.

Read the stickies (the second one has most everything) at the top of private vehicles for sale before posting, if you get some more "valid" posts.
Got it- thank you!!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Sooooo......you joined here to do a "for sale" thread?

In before lockdown.....

PS.....knowing where you live helps.
KBB depends on where you live.

GLWS.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

How do you know he should post in NESIC? Staff voodoo?!?!....
Part of why I made my comment.

In general, anyone that joins and then tries to sell ANYTHING is a major red flag to me and others......period......
Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
StrayS2K
Scooby Newbie

I hear you all loud and clear, fellas. I've clearly abused the forum by asking for advice. A "testing the waters" thread was pretty common-place back in the day. I did the same thing with my previous cars in different forums. Younger, I was able to actually contribute for years before making such a request. I knew I was not part of the online community hence my transparency in introduction. I think I may have been misled by the community on the road, and ignored that online cliques are all consuming sometimes. Everyone has something to prove behind a keyboard. Had I been a part, I probably would have tossed a bone. That's why I appreciate the input, even though it's a bit ignorant to say things like mods make cars less valuable until it's a track car. As if there is no in-between. It's also a bit ridiculous to raise a "major red flag", as if I were trying to sell you a timeshare. How many cars have sold on Nasioc vs literally any other car website? Forums may be a place you can sell a car, but certainly not to any extent a reasonable individual would go all in and try to manipulate any particular forum. I took all your advice with a grain of salt and listed without price of any performance modifications. Jack certainly said it best, and comically, " If you don't know what to ask, then ask $39k and drop it $1k every couple days until people stop laughing." To all the other moderators, please understand I did read quite a bit before posting the inquiry here.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #12
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

OK.....let's go this way......many forums today require some minimum amount of time/contribution before peeps sell anything.
Reason?, to prevent scammers. Not saying you are, but still common today.

As to mods on a car, many people think that means potentially beat on, thus dropping the car value.
I usually think getting $0.50 on the $1 for parts/mods is pretty good.
What your car is worth depends on what someone else is willing to pay. It may be worth $1500 to one person, may be worth $15,000 to another.

I usually suggest using KBB for your base car based on year, model and condition. Then, maybe add in mods to get a starting point. Post and wait.
Priced low, it will sell fast.
Priced high, may take a while to sell.
Some depends on how fast you want it gone.

Otherwise, have a good evening.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #13
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Charlie made a good observation. I've been a member of a lot of forums over the years. If I remember the Mazda6club rules, I think I had to have 30 posts, put the ad in the exact form from vin to title type to clear location. Then any picture needed to include a hand written sign in it that said mazda6club and I think my username and the date. Far more ridged than here.

Here's why testing the water threads don't work anywhere. You put your car up for examination. All the fanbois tell you how its worth $39k and if you put in underglow, it would increase to $99k. Then the car sits for a year because nobody actually buying will pay what the fanbois said. When I put my LGT up for sale, while I didn't start at $39k, I started high. And I dropped it about 500 a week until it got "real" interest. After it sold, I had a bunch of PMs and emails telling me I sold it for way too little. No. I sold it at a price where someone would buy it.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote