Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday April 7, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-19-2020, 12:44 AM   #1
Wendigo9643
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501077
Default 2004 STI sticky accelerator pedal?

Hey all, I purchased an 04 STI with ~130,000 miles a few months back. After spending quite a bit of time in the shop I finally have it back on the road. However a problem that I first noticed when I picked the car up has been bugging me and I'm not sure where I should be looking to try and diagnose and fix it.

When the accelerator is depressed even say, 1-5%, the pedal will squeak and I feel just enough resistance that I have to overcompensate in order to push the pedal past this point. This makes driving in the city pretty annoying as I'm constantly trying to avoid pushing too hard on the pedal just to get through that resistance.

My research has led me to believe it is either one of two things or some combination of both a dirty throttle body or simply that the pedal assembly is old and worn out and lacking lubrication. This issue happens regardless of whether the car is on or off, temperature, gear, etc.

Planning on taking the car up to my friends' garage to work on it this week and would love to be able to sort this one out.

Thanks.
Wendigo9643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Jedi03
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491095
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2009 STi Blue
Blue

if its a cable throttle, can be cable sticking, spring on throttle body not lubricated, dirty throttle body, binding in pivot for pedal...few different ideas...
Jedi03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
NickVu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27525
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
yellow

it's an electronic throttle. it's mounted via 2 allen bolts. you can unplug and remove it from the car to clean up any stickyness. if you need to grease internally, use dielectric silicone grease.
NickVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
Wendigo9643
Scooby Newbie

NickWu your advice is in regards to the pedal assembly, correct? I figured since itís drive by wire and the issue happens whether the car is on or off, that the pedal itself is the more likely culprit.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
NickVu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27525
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
yellow

Yes, you can remove the pedal from the car, take it apart and clean it up. Don't use bearing or lithium grease inside, only dielectric grease.
NickVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
Wendigo9643
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVu View Post
Yes, you can remove the pedal from the car, take it apart and clean it up. Don't use bearing or lithium grease inside, only dielectric grease.

Great, thanks for the advice!