Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday June 4, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
dudefromupnorth
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511853
Default 02 Subaru Worth Fixing?

Hey everyone. I'm new here from Upstate NY. I've searched this forum and others over the past several months looking for solutions to a 02 wrx stock turbo I have in my possession, but I'm at a loss and figured it may be time to post up. This is my friends car, that was well, taken care of really well, but it sat for about 8 years or so, with about 64k on the clock.

The main problem: When i got the car in my possession to work on, after someone else had worked on it for some time (not sure what they did tbh as they didn't really say) it seemed like it wasn't getting fuel. Swapped out fuel pumps, added some gas, boom profit. Started up instantly, ran like crap, and smoked heavily but it ran for a good 10 minutes. After the car was shut off, it wouldn't start right back up. I could later get it to start, but basically stalled instantly.
Fast forward a few months, I got it back in the garage to tinker with it got it to start back up again after boosting it ran rough like normally, but when i went to move it, as i would start to depress the clutch, it would instantly stall.

So i'm trying to figure out, what the best route or options would be. If it were my car, and sat for this long I guess I would probably try to find a used engine that ran and didn't sit for so long, and drop that in. But i'm looking for any advice on where to start or what you all may think I can check with. Would clogged cats cause this issue? This way I can get with my buddy and he can decide where he wants to go with it.

Parts changed:
-Fuel pump
-Fuel Filter
-Slave cylinder (previous guy working on it changed)
-Removed aftermarket turbo timer
-Replaced battery

Thanks in advance,
dudefromupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Stop throwing parts at it. You're talking about throwing an engine at it when you have no clue what's wrong. Drop the tools and back away from the car. You need to first diagnose what's wrong with the car. Have you checked the 3 things needed to make the car run? Fuel, spark and compression? The car sat for 8 years. If you had not planned on a minimum of $2k just from things that are absolutely needed now, walk away. Did you put on a timing belt? 105 months or 105k miles. By time, it's sat longer than that, so you need that now. The brake calipers and master cylinder will need to be rebuilt at a minimum or replaced. The lines are going to need to be flushed out. The gas tank needs to be thoroughly cleaned along with all the lines and each injector. You'd want to clean out the cooling system and radiator, although if it's not really running, that can wait. The clutch master and slave will need new fluid.

This can be a lot of work. Sure. If you've got the space, the ability and the tools and are willing to put in the time, you can bring it back. If you want to just replace parts, then auto zone will love you but I doubt you're going to get this running unless you luck out.

(awaiting Unabomber.....I think he'd agree with me.....but he won't be quite as verbose or nice about it.)
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
Fndragn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 470845
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 Sti
DGM

Do what jack says here!

Last edited by Fndragn; 02-20-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Fndragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

yikes the car is hella old and every rubber part on it is probably dry rotted. You will have to replace those pieces, especially critical items like fuel hoses. Sounds like a lot of work....
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
dudefromupnorth
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Stop throwing parts at it. You're talking about throwing an engine at it when you have no clue what's wrong. Drop the tools and back away from the car. You need to first diagnose what's wrong with the car. Have you checked the 3 things needed to make the car run? Fuel, spark and compression? The car sat for 8 years. If you had not planned on a minimum of $2k just from things that are absolutely needed now, walk away. Did you put on a timing belt? 105 months or 105k miles. By time, it's sat longer than that, so you need that now. The brake calipers and master cylinder will need to be rebuilt at a minimum or replaced. The lines are going to need to be flushed out. The gas tank needs to be thoroughly cleaned along with all the lines and each injector. You'd want to clean out the cooling system and radiator, although if it's not really running, that can wait. The clutch master and slave will need new fluid.

This can be a lot of work. Sure. If you've got the space, the ability and the tools and are willing to put in the time, you can bring it back. If you want to just replace parts, then auto zone will love you but I doubt you're going to get this running unless you luck out.

(awaiting Unabomber.....I think he'd agree with me.....but he won't be quite as verbose or nice about it.)
Oh I agree with you 100% as well. The owner of the car had put some money and took care of it well a decade ago, upgraded brakes, roll cage, suspension etc. It was vandalized and then sat forrevvvver. So if it were me, IMO its not worth fixing given the damage done to the exterior of the car alone. But just because he sank money into it a long time ago, he felt it was still worth thousands, which definitley isn't the case. It did have spark, fuel, but I wasn't able to check compression.
I personally didn't do much to it, check the fuel tank, and even i stated to him its so rust filled inside, it would need to be replaced, and like you mentioned, every line as well. Its unfortunate he didn't take care of it, could have been a nice car. Appreciate the reply, and maybe now once i show him this, he will have second thoughts of wanting to fix it, and check get what he can for metal.
dudefromupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Member#: 428511
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudefromupnorth View Post
But just because he sank money into it a long time ago, he felt it was still worth thousands,
well if he sank money into it a long time ago that money should have appreciated at least 10% annually
8 years. . . .10x's 8 plus a little bit since it's a bull market. . . .carry the zero. . . .yeah, should be worth a solid 7 cents a pound for the steel at this point.
3100 pounds x .07 = $217 easy!
rtv900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/05 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
3100 pounds x .07 = $217 easy!
Minus the oxidized metal that's no longer there, so somewhat less.
I'd put a fork in it.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote