Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-10-2018, 03:19 AM   #1
iconojett
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 489955
Unhappy Dealership Says One Month to Diagnose Problem?

Vehicle: 2017 Subaru WRX STI Limited
Mileage: 8,600

After ten years, I've finally been able to join the Subaru family. After saving and saving, on 7/20/2018, I bought a white 2017 STI Limited. The vehicle is under warranty. I brought the Subaru to two separate dealerships for a multi-point inspection and was given a document with all green boxes. The service techs told me there were no problems with the vehicle. I then had the oil changed by one of those dealerships.

On 07/26/2018, while parked in a grocery store parking lot, I turned on the vehicle and the engine light came on. The SI-Drive feature was disabled. I later learned this is done to help the car limp back without potentially damaging the engine. I drove it to the local dealership who explained the would look into problems with the vehicle. I also told the dealership that there feel like a lag/sluggishness between 2nd and 3rd gears. I was given a loaner vehicle.

On 07/28/2018, the service manager tells me they are in communications with Subaru engineers to troubleshoot the issue with the vehicle. They tell me that data is sent from the vehicle to the engineers.

On 08/08/2018, the service manager informs me that they have been instructed to check valve adjustment.

On 08/09/2018, the service manager calls me and tells me that the Subaru engineers want to install a recording device in the vehicle to help better determine when the issue is occurring. They will be able to install the recording device within the next two to two and a half weeks.

When I check the work order online I read:
"Customer states check engine light is on with no driveability concern. check and advise. Check tire pressure. Complimentary loaner vehicle a $70.00 value at no charge to the customer"

Sure I have a loaner, but I'm also paying $450/month towards an auto loan on a vehicle I'm not able to use.

I’ll be without my vehicle for basically one month, if not a bit more. Questions:
  • Besides waiting patiently, what else should I do?
  • I thought Subaru’s were “bulletproof,” did I get the lemon of the bunch or are these normal growing pains of a new vehicle?
  • In California, if I have to wait a total of 30 days, without the problem even being properly diagnosed, does the vehicle meet the criteria for Lemon Law?

I’m pretty depressed about my car. It was a lot of money for me and now I can’t even use it. Any insight is appreciated.
iconojett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconojett View Post
Sure I have a loaner, but I'm also paying $450/month towards an auto loan on a vehicle I'm not able to use.

I’ll be without my vehicle for basically one month, if not a bit more. Questions:
  • Besides waiting patiently, what else should I do?
  • I thought Subaru’s were “bulletproof,” did I get the lemon of the bunch or are these normal growing pains of a new vehicle?
  • In California, if I have to wait a total of 30 days, without the problem even being properly diagnosed, does the vehicle meet the criteria for Lemon Law?
1. They are giving you a Loaner @ no charge. Some Dealerships don't do that. The Dealership appears to be actively working the issue. Best thing is to wait patiently and check in with the Dealership weekly and get an update on status.

2. No vehicle is bulletproof.

3. Since the car is only 1 year old, and if a Lemon Law exists in Cali, then you may be able to use that. You will have to check Cali laws. Look up information on the State of California website or simply Google Lemon Law in California.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
shadowsports
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446364
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
'17 STI LMT '08 LGT
DGM / QSM

1. Be patient. I'm a little surprised they can't hook it up to a SSM and figure it out, but every dealer is a little different.

2. Subaru's are (mostly) bulletproof. I'm on my 3rd (currently own 2) and have 11 yrs with the brand. Fortunately, I've been able to fix what has failed or broken, which hasn't been much. Wheel hubs, Radiator, stuff like that. (Luckily)

3. Lemon law, Read your paperwork, its all explained there. You have to have 3 "consecutive failures" (same issue) where the dealer tries but is unable to correct the problem. Then the lemon law applies.
shadowsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
iconojett
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 489955

Thanks for replying. All of this could be far worse, as I could be experiencing this out of warranty. My only regret so far is not knowing the error code that was given. I'm purchasing BlueDriver (OBDII) so I can at least be informed about my vehicle's issues.

Stay safe.
iconojett is offline   Reply With Quote