Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Metallix6403
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 81277
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
99 GF
Silver

Default Oil Separator Plate

Just recently I noticed smoke coming from under my hood. After a few weeks of not finding any oil drip or oil on the garage floor, I jacked the car up and found a whole mess of burnt oil on the headers/exhaust.

Im pretty sure its the oil separator plate, and not the rear main seal.

Im wondering how long do you guys think I can go with out replacing it?

I dont really have the time or a spare car at the moment to drop the tranny and do it my self and im not goin to shell out the money to have a shop do it.

BTW: 2.2 '99 Impreza OBS 94k on the odo.
Metallix6403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

As long as you keep your oil topped off you can let it leak for a while. At your mileage you are getting due for a clutch, and can do it then. And given the mileage, I would pull the engine for the clutch job and do the timing belt and water pump at the same time. No need to drop the tranny.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Metallix6403
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 81277
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
99 GF
Silver

Yeah I was plannin on doin the timing belt and takin care of a cv axle (and cleanin up the mess it made) on a weekend comin up. Clutch isnt too bad (she's been baby'd aside from a few mountain runs) so Ill take care of the plate and rear seal when the time comes.

Thanks for the help!
Metallix6403 is offline   Reply With Quote