Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #51
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488145
Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadok View Post
That’s good. I have E85 at the pump 3 mins from my house for under $2 a gal.

I’m going to throw in the 20x and get a header, uppipe, maybe even a turbo if I can swing it. Then pay this Cobb pro tuner I know to make it right. The exhaust cam position is the only thing that scares me. I can certainly advance or retard it a tooth if that will fix it, but I have no idea how to actually figure that out.
The "resting" position of the exhaust cams slightly advanced, I ended up timing them one tooth retarded. It's not the right way, but it's the path I took. It puts them within a degree or so of "normal". There is a detent pin in the avcs system that keeps the system from moving when it isn't getting the "move" signal from the solenoid.

So far so good
Mreed6360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #52
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSavage View Post
From what I'm told you can't tune the stock ECU in the Baja. I have a 05 turbo with a bad motor, I'm not sure if I should just get the rebuild done on the ej255 or swap to the ej20x. What do you guys think? Pros or cons to doing what you guys did or should I just do the rebuild? I'm in Arizona btw if anybody else is and can recommend a place. Thanks!
I'm not sure about Cobb's tuning options, but the Baja ecu responds fine to the openport 2 from tactrix.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #53
Zadok
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38360
Vehicle:
2006 Baja Turbo 5MT
Atlantic Blue Pearl

I don’t have the Baja Ecu anymore. Mine died and I got an 04 FXT.
Zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #54
05lgt6969
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498836

Im about to do the ej20x swap and want to know which turbo setup to go with the twin scroll on the 20x or the one of my lgt wagon. Which is better power wise
05lgt6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #55
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

From my research/experience I would say it depends on what your goals are.

I find the VF38 twin scroll gives good response, spools early and can flow plenty well to give good mid-rpm torque, but runs out of efficiency at higher RPMS. As a downside swapping over to the VF38 down pipe is a pain, as it isn't used on many models, and none in the US that I know of, so using it makes future upgrades harder. See the pics earlier in the thread of my slightly ugly custom welded down pipe.

I'm not sure what setup is on your lgt wagon, but if it's like the EJ255 setup that was in the Baja I think you are better off with that setup on the EJ20X motor if outright power is your goal, and you want to possibly upgrade later.

How well the setup you end up with works together will depend a lot on your tune/ what you do with the AVCS (see earlier comments on exhaust cam timing). In my case the car ran "OK" with the stock Baja ECU on the EJ20X with the twin scroll setup, but it was improved greatly by tuning.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:24 PM   #56
05lgt6969
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreed6360 View Post
From my research/experience I would say it depends on what your goals are.

I find the VF38 twin scroll gives good response, spools early and can flow plenty well to give good mid-rpm torque, but runs out of efficiency at higher RPMS. As a downside swapping over to the VF38 down pipe is a pain, as it isn't used on many models, and none in the US that I know of, so using it makes future upgrades harder. See the pics earlier in the thread of my slightly ugly custom welded down pipe.

I'm not sure what setup is on your lgt wagon, but if it's like the EJ255 setup that was in the Baja I think you are better off with that setup on the EJ20X motor if outright power is your goal, and you want to possibly upgrade later.

How well the setup you end up with works together will depend a lot on your tune/ what you do with the AVCS (see earlier comments on exhaust cam timing). In my case the car ran "OK" with the stock Baja ECU on the EJ20X with the twin scroll setup, but it was improved greatly by tuning.

Yeah its the 255 i have half of the down pipe and i have access to a welder. So we'll both have slightly ugly down pipes hahaha. Im going to cut the cat out of the up pipe anyway im debating cutting the one out of the down pipe because of engine lights i dont have to worry about emissions for inspection but i just dont want it unless something else is wrong. i also have the jdm tmic but if i keep the jdm setup do i loose out on upgrade choices. Hopefully my cams arent wasted in the 255 i know if i use the 255 cams i need to swap cam sensorsbut im not sure what else i have to switch over
Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #57
Rensho68
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497358

I thought quite a few guys are running the ej20x/y swap (in their wrx) just fine with leaving the exhaust avcs unplugged.
By retarding the exhaust by 1 tooth, is that ccw 1 tooth relative to the lower timing mark on the intake sprocket?
Thanks
Rensho68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #58
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05lgt6969 View Post
Yeah its the 255 i have half of the down pipe and i have access to a welder. So we'll both have slightly ugly down pipes hahaha. Im going to cut the cat out of the up pipe anyway im debating cutting the one out of the down pipe because of engine lights i dont have to worry about emissions for inspection but i just dont want it unless something else is wrong. i also have the jdm tmic but if i keep the jdm setup do i loose out on upgrade choices. Hopefully my cams arent wasted in the 255 i know if i use the 255 cams i need to swap cam sensorsbut im not sure what else i have to switch over
On the exhaust cams, if the 255 exhaust cams are still good you could swap those into the 20X. Then you would be totally correct on the exhaust cam timing.

For the intake cams as long at the intake cam position sensors are the same on your 255 and the 20x then that can just leave the 20X stuff intact. There are some models what use a different number of wires (i think 2 compared to 3) but I don't remember which ones did that.

I though I was going to have to swap/ relocate cam sensors, but I didn't have to. Just plug and play for mine. But you would want to double check, I don't know what the model split is.

Thumbs up on that down pipe though! it took some work to get it to line up perfect, lots of test fitting before the weld, but I'm liking it.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #59
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rensho68 View Post
I thought quite a few guys are running the ej20x/y swap (in their wrx) just fine with leaving the exhaust avcs unplugged.
By retarding the exhaust by 1 tooth, is that ccw 1 tooth relative to the lower timing mark on the intake sprocket?
Thanks
I'm sure it would run pretty well, from what I've mostly heard the exhaust AVCS is not as "important" as the intake, at least as far as making power goes.

I bet there is power to be gained from the exhaust AVCS too, but once we start messing around with motor/intake/parts swapping a good portion of all the hard work done by Subaru engineers goes out the window.

I've read that the intake and exhaust cams will work in unison to active an EGR like effect under certain loads/ conditions. Allowing some exhaust gas to get sucked back into the combustion chamber (reversion). So not having the exhaust active has some impact emissions and fuel consumption wise I'm sure.

You are correct about the direction I moved the exhaust cam.

This is from memory, so it may be a little fuzzy, but I think each cam tooth is about 7 degrees.

So moving a cam one tooth moves the cam about 14 degrees relative to the crank since the cams turn at half the speed of the crank.

The exhaust cams rest in an advance position (maybe 15 degrees? or 10?).
So rotating the exhaust cams one tooth CCW puts them close to where a fixed position cam would normally be.

I wanted to reuse my fixed EJ255 exhaust cams, but they were shot, so this was the next best option in my time/$ budget. There are "better" ways to do it, but this worked for me.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #60
Zadok
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Baja Turbo 5MT
Atlantic Blue Pearl

looks like I'm going to be getting my 20Y in 2 weeks. then I'm not sure if I'm going to buy a new turbo or modify my downpipe.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #61
05lgt6969
Scooby Newbie

You think a td06-20g turbo would be over kill for the 20x hahahahahah
Old 03-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #62
Zadok
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Baja Turbo 5MT
Atlantic Blue Pearl

So what clutch are you guys running on these 20y engines?
Old 03-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #63
05lgt6969
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadok View Post
So what clutch are you guys running on these 20y engines?
Mines not in yet im slowly collecting everything i need but i bought a stage 2 comp clutch
Old 03-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #64
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Mine is an automatic

I just bolted my ej25 flex plate and torque converter to the 20x.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #65
05lgt6969
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreed6360 View Post
Mine is an automatic

I just bolted my ej25 flex plate and torque converter to the 20x.
Mreed what do your struts look like im trying to see if i can swap mine i wanna lift it
Old 03-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #66
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Quote:
Mreed what do your struts look like im trying to see if i can swap mine i wanna lift it
I tried to take decent pics, not the best angle. as far as I know they are stock Baja struts. It does have pretty good ground clearance. Much more than my old Scion xB
Old 03-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #67
Zadok
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Baja Turbo 5MT
Atlantic Blue Pearl

Wednesday is the day I'm going to pickup the engine and possibly a 5 speed JDM Spec B trans. I'm going to try to get a chopped downpipe and good intercooler if I can. My cousin is going to sell me his STI intercooler, but I think a lot of the fins are bent closed.
I'll try to take as many pictures of the swap as I can to help future swappers.
My goal is to get it in and running complete, including the TD04HLA Twin Scroll.
I'm picking up an AEM 50-1220 E85 compatible fuel pump & swapping the fuel lines for the E40 tune, retarding the cams 1 tooth to run on my '04 XT ecu/Cobb AP, Getting an e-tune from a Cobb tuner I know, and installing an oil filter relocation kit for ease of use.
Eventually I'll get it on the dyno and have someone properly tune it.
I'm hoping the engine doesn't have TGV's. Doe anyone know for sure if the X/Y's have TGV's or not?

Last edited by Zadok; 03-31-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #68
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Sounds like a plan!
I Know my EJ20X did not have the TGV's I don't think the EJ20Y did either.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #69
Cdjkworkman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499901
Default Which turbo?

Just replacing engine due to bad turbo failure on ej255. Cant use the vf44 on the ej20x due to different downpipe mounting. Which turbo should i get? Unless someone has the unicorn flange for the twin scroll non usdm vf44
Cdjkworkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #70
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Ya, it's a custom job to get the JDM twin scrolls to fit the US downpipe. I had shop recommend that I use a 16G, but it wasn't in my budget/plan.

As far as I know using a replacement of whichever turbo you had on the EJ255 is an OK option. The EJ20X is smaller, but it's not too crazy of a size difference. And the higher compression ratio should help off boost power making.

Really depends on your goals/budget.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #71
Zadok
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Baja Turbo 5MT
Atlantic Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdjkworkman View Post
Just replacing engine due to bad turbo failure on ej255. Cant use the vf44 on the ej20x due to different downpipe mounting. Which turbo should i get? Unless someone has the unicorn flange for the twin scroll non usdm vf44
Here you go.
EJ20X/Y downpipe cast outlet short ram pipe. Fits: TD04HLA, VF38, VF40?, VF44, VF45?, VF46?, VF47. They also have the lower downpipes for it also. I'm not sure if it works for LHD cars.
https://avoturbo.com/exhaust-turbo-o...s1303g3la001t/

Last edited by Zadok; 04-06-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #72
Zadok
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Baja Turbo 5MT
Atlantic Blue Pearl

Default Engine is HERE!

So I picked up the engine on Wednesday and the one I wanted was gone.
However, they had an '04 JDM Legacy 2.0GT Spec B engine and trans there. they sold it to me for the same price and included a downpipe midget and ECU. The right side timing cover is broken so they gave me the front and I need to source the back. Turned the engine over and checked compression, all good at 180ish. Front exhaust cam sprocket is straight when it spins....????.... Intercooler is F****ed. Oh well...

Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/jneiderer/m...0232127&type=3

Last edited by Zadok; 04-07-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #73
srech77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499858

Really cool swap, thanks for posting all the info ... very helpful and will come in handy down the road! cheers -
srech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #74
05lgt6969
Scooby Newbie

Mreed360 how did you do your tune cobb maps or did you go to a tuner
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #75
Mreed6360
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Baja
Silver?

Quote:
Mreed360 how did you do your tune cobb maps or did you go to a tuner
So, I've amateur tuned a few things before, but not a Subaru. With my budget constraints i ended up buying a Tactrix OpenPort 2. and tuning with Romraider/ecu flash.

this entailed a ton of research, which I enjoyed.
I ended up finding Roms from were my engine should be from (JDM Legacy) and edited the Baja Ecm to replicate the Rom from the JDM Legacy in some areas but not all.

Then I did a ton of data logging, and editing of the "working" rom that i was using. I ocused on "fixing" one part of the tune before moving on to the next.

I had a few areas where i needed to adjust timing, and the MAF scaling needed adjusted for closed and open loop. and I fee l like there s still more to it. But i feel like I have learned a lot along the way.

if you have the budget I highly recommend using a good tuner/dyno time to get your setup dialed in. I was only able to do it on my own because I added a wideband o2 and did a decent amount of data logging and interpretation, and read a bunch of books about engiens and turbo engine operation. It's not for everybody. And while i believe my tune is safe and makes decent power, i think a professional tuner could give more power/ better fueling.

TLDR, I have a day Job, and making fast Subaru's isn't exactly it.