Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 7, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Notices

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
riggy30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158321
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI

Default How to know if the engine block is the original block that came with the car?

Hey, so I'm just wondering if there's anyway to trace the engine block's serial number to the car's vin #? The reason I ask is because I have a sneaky suspicion that SOA never replaced the block when I took the car in under warranty for a spun bearing... I know for a fact that these dealerships cut corners, especially when cars get brought in under warranty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
riggy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
CaptainSlowbaru
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 445600
Join Date: Apr 2016
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rafferty Subaru, PA
Vehicle:
2002 Outback Sport
Green

Default

Why do you suspect it wasn't replaced? Is the block not shiny clean?

I can tell you with certainty the warranty claim will not go through if there aren't old and new serial numbers recorded on the repair order. In other words, if the tech and the dealer want to get paid, they'll actually do the job.

Additionally, if they were to split the block and just replaced the bearings, that's actually WAY more work than simply replacing the short block. Since the technician would only get paid to replace the short block, I see no reason why a tech would do that much more work for less pay.

I just want to try to reassure you that not all dealers are scumbags!

So to answer your question, running your VIN through Subaru's vehicle inquiry system will show the engine's serial number.
CaptainSlowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
carnz-pj-410
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110994
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: BALTIMORE
Vehicle:
1995 Turbo Impreza
EG33 05 Forester

Default

I work at a dealer and sometimes we are instructed to replace crank/rods/bearings rather than a complete shortblock on some bearing failures. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen, and that could be a possible explanation for why you dont have a "new" block.

And to CptSlowbaru above, if you are asked to do an overhaul rather than shortblock replacement it does pay more labor to cover the block disassembly, clearance checks, etc..
carnz-pj-410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #4
GK1707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 373868
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Queens, NY
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnz-pj-410 View Post
I work at a dealer and sometimes we are instructed to replace crank/rods/bearings rather than a complete shortblock on some bearing failures. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen, and that could be a possible explanation for why you dont have a "new" block.

And to CptSlowbaru above, if you are asked to do an overhaul rather than shortblock replacement it does pay more labor to cover the block disassembly, clearance checks, etc..

Off topic question, but based on your experience do most techs actually go thru the process of clearancing all of the pasages. Such as using a dial bore and micrometer to measure bearing clearances (or even plasti-gauging) when overhauling an engine.

Or do they just slap in new bearings and throw the block together to hit book times and get paid? I've always been curious as to what dealer techs actually do when rebuilding parts that require clearancing and measuring.
GK1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
carnz-pj-410
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110994
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: BALTIMORE
Vehicle:
1995 Turbo Impreza
EG33 05 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK1707 View Post
Off topic question, but based on your experience do most techs actually go thru the process of clearancing all of the pasages. Such as using a dial bore and micrometer to measure bearing clearances (or even plasti-gauging) when overhauling an engine.

Or do they just slap in new bearings and throw the block together to hit book times and get paid? I've always been curious as to what dealer techs actually do when rebuilding parts that require clearancing and measuring.

I can't speak for everyone, I've worked at the same shop for 12 years so I've only directly dealt with a handful of techs regularly. Every engine I've overhauled has been measured using mics and bore gauges, I've never been a fan of plastigauge personally.

I've seen techs replace with all new parts and never measure, and I've seen a few techs use plastigauge to check clearances, can't say if they've done it correctly though.
carnz-pj-410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:39 AM   #6
riggy30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158321
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlowbaru View Post
Why do you suspect it wasn't replaced? Is the block not shiny clean?

I can tell you with certainty the warranty claim will not go through if there aren't old and new serial numbers recorded on the repair order. In other words, if the tech and the dealer want to get paid, they'll actually do the job.

Additionally, if they were to split the block and just replaced the bearings, that's actually WAY more work than simply replacing the short block. Since the technician would only get paid to replace the short block, I see no reason why a tech would do that much more work for less pay.

I just want to try to reassure you that not all dealers are scumbags!

So to answer your question, running your VIN through Subaru's vehicle inquiry system will show the engine's serial number.
Yeah, pretty much. I haven't really drove the car at all since it got repaired a few years back- it's been sitting in my garage collecting dust. Well, I'm finally starting my build and noticed when I pulled the motor that it looked very, very dirty and definitely didn't look like a new short block. The repair invoice stated that the block was replaced but I'm 95% sure it's the original block, which had 50k on it.
riggy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:45 AM   #7
riggy30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158321
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnz-pj-410 View Post
I work at a dealer and sometimes we are instructed to replace crank/rods/bearings rather than a complete shortblock on some bearing failures. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen, and that could be a possible explanation for why you dont have a "new" block.

And to CptSlowbaru above, if you are asked to do an overhaul rather than shortblock replacement it does pay more labor to cover the block disassembly, clearance checks, etc..
The work invoice says "replaced short block" and nothing else regarding crank, rods or bearings.
"Installed 10103AC050 : SHORT BLOCK ENG AY"
riggy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #8
carnz-pj-410
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110994
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: BALTIMORE
Vehicle:
1995 Turbo Impreza
EG33 05 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy30 View Post
The work invoice says "replaced short block" and nothing else regarding crank, rods or bearings.
"Installed 10103AC050 : SHORT BLOCK ENG AY"
Well then you're good
carnz-pj-410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
bizzlezx10r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 439586
Join Date: Feb 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnz-pj-410 View Post
Well then you're good
I don't think he is good though because if he has a filthy looking motor then it sounds like they didn't actually replace it despite what the invoice says.
bizzlezx10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
carnz-pj-410
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110994
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: BALTIMORE
Vehicle:
1995 Turbo Impreza
EG33 05 Forester

Default

Lol **** it, i was just giving input for possible repair options we have to take, if he's that worried about it not being actually replaced then it's his job to take it up with them
carnz-pj-410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

How dirty is it? We had the short block replaced in a Crosstrek and it looks very, very shiny and new.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:38 AM   #12
riggy30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158321
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI

Default

It looks like a block with 50k on it. Also, there was a white substance (salt/oxidation) accumulation on the top of the block under the water coolant crossover that I remember seeing and it's still there. Wish I inspected the engine as soon as I got the car back and looked over the work invoice but i used to have 3 jobs, worked 70 hour weeks and simply didn't have the time. Car just sat and was only driven once every few weeks.
riggy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:40 AM   #13
riggy30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158321
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnz-pj-410 View Post
Well then you're good
Block is dirty as **** and I don't think they actually replaced it... That's the issue.
riggy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #14
Jedi03
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 491095
Join Date: Sep 2018
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: New Mexico
Vehicle:
2009 STi Blue
Blue

Default

is that number the block serial number or the part number? a warranty will require a return attached to the order for the tech to get paid and reimbursement of parts to the dealer...
Jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #15
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy30 View Post
Block is dirty as **** and I don't think they actually replaced it... That's the issue.
I have a feeling you're looking at the heads and not the block. They don't replace the heads just the short block.....
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #16
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnz-pj-410 View Post
I work at a dealer and sometimes we are instructed to replace crank/rods/bearings rather than a complete shortblock on some bearing failures. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen, and that could be a possible explanation for why you dont have a "new" block.

And to CptSlowbaru above, if you are asked to do an overhaul rather than shortblock replacement it does pay more labor to cover the block disassembly, clearance checks, etc..
When has this been? We've never done that and we're a very large dealership. Always a short block especially on a spun bearing. We've done pistons when the fb first came out with oil consumption issues until they fixed the problem. Now it's all short blocks.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #17
willowlee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358533
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: central california
Vehicle:
2013 sti sedan
wrb

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
When has this been? We've never done that and we're a very large dealership. Always a short block especially on a spun bearing. We've done pistons when the fb first came out with oil consumption issues until they fixed the problem. Now it's all short blocks.
Because some dealership are shady as ****, thats why. Off topic, but my friend once took his car in for an oil change and tire rotation at a toyota dealership and they never did the tire rotation. But on the receipt invoice it clearly said tire rotated. He knew his tires were not rotated because he marked the wheels before going in. After calling them out on it, the mechanic guy said that the tires did not need to be rotated. But if it did not needed to be rotated, then let the customer know that it has not been rotated. I doubt they even bother changing his oil either, but he just drove the car home and never return back to that dealership again.

Long story short.... There ARE shady dealerships out there.....
willowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #18
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowlee View Post
Because some dealership are shady as ****, thats why. Off topic, but my friend once took his car in for an oil change and tire rotation at a toyota dealership and they never did the tire rotation. But on the receipt invoice it clearly said tire rotated. He knew his tires were not rotated because he marked the wheels before going in. After calling them out on it, the mechanic guy said that the tires did not need to be rotated. But if it did not needed to be rotated, then let the customer know that it has not been rotated. I doubt they even bother changing his oil either, but he just drove the car home and never return back to that dealership again.

Long story short.... There ARE shady dealerships out there.....
Cool story?
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #19
willowlee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358533
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: central california
Vehicle:
2013 sti sedan
wrb

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
Cool story?
On the bright side, there are alot of good dealers out there. Only a handful that are bad.
willowlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #20
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowlee View Post
On the bright side, there are alot of good dealers out there. Only a handful that are bad.
Awesome! I'm glad you were able to share you story with everyone. Now they know. You just saved everyone from all that headache.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #21
carnz-pj-410
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110994
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: BALTIMORE
Vehicle:
1995 Turbo Impreza
EG33 05 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
When has this been? We've never done that and we're a very large dealership. Always a short block especially on a spun bearing. We've done pistons when the fb first came out with oil consumption issues until they fixed the problem. Now it's all short blocks.
our former DPSM would always have us overhaul rather than replace, he has since been replaced and it's been all short blocks, but from 2013-2017 we had to overhaul many blocks
carnz-pj-410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #22
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnz-pj-410 View Post
our former DPSM would always have us overhaul rather than replace, he has since been replaced and it's been all short blocks, but from 2013-2017 we had to overhaul many blocks
That's interesting. We did pistons in the infamous piston slap cars and rings in the newer oil consumption cars until they figured everything out. 3 of our guys went to tech line and all but said to many people had no clue how to put piston rings in and jacked it all up forcing a short block to go in anyway.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:02 AM   #23
riggy30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158321
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
I have a feeling you're looking at the heads and not the block. They don't replace the heads just the short block.....
I know what I'm looking at and I never said anything about the heads. Block is almost completely disassembled at this point. Serial numbers are on the top of the block-halves where the trans/bell-housing attaches.
riggy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.