Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 19, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #51
2015Sapper
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 440929
Join Date: Feb 2016
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: NH
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Premium
ISM

Default

I bought this car for driving enjoyment, not 0-60 time, not 1/4 mile time, I want to have fun while I drive. The CVT may be quicker or significantly more advanced but it's boring to drive. Call me old school because well, I'm old but I like to row my own gears........I don't think anyone who knows anything about automotive engineering will argue whether or not the CVT is more advanced, I just think some people like rowing their own gears and I commend any auto manufacturer that acknowledges that in this technological day and age.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
2015Sapper is offline  
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #52
mishapopa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 393629
Join Date: Jun 2014
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary
Vehicle:
'15 WRX
'01 S2000

Default

but it's not quicker, ironically because it's more advanced. sometimes, actually often, keeping things simple is the best kind of engineering. can't deny manuals are primitive but they've been around this long for a reason.

sucks replacing a clutch and all but sucks even more replacing a whole tranny

these threads are a bunch of lazy drivers who want to justify their purchase. if it makes them feel better, great.
mishapopa is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #53
Scorpius
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indiana
Vehicle:
2009 WRX SSM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

funboi needs to shut the **** up.
Scorpius is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #54
F1EA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post
I agree. If you are a professional race car driver and you know how to redline the car and drop the clutch and shift perfectly, you will beat a cvt wrx in a 0 to 60. But the fact is, 99.999% are just average drivers with no professional skills at all. So it is actually better to buy a cvt wrx because you will 99.999% of the time smoke a manual wrx. Am i wrong?
Yep, you're wrong.
F1EA is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 10:50 PM   #55
F1EA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

Fun thread though
F1EA is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #56
funboi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471028
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Can you manual guys beat this guy on lap time? 99.9999% no because you can't shift gears as fast as a cvt.

Check out the video below. Manual guys will never beat this guy. Try timing your shifts perfectly and rev match perfectly on the downshift and maybe you can beat him once out of 10 laps.

funboi is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #57
Elusivellama
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 233834
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default

You should change your name to fuccboi
Elusivellama is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #58
funboi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471028
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Looks like some people here are getting too emotional and not sticking to the facts. The fact is, a cvt will smoke most manual drivers because most manual drivers can't shift like a professional. It's fine if you enjoy rowing because of an old habit like chewing gum or smoking cigars. But to say that manuals are superior to performance tuned cvt autos is laughable.
funboi is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 11:47 PM   #59
funboi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471028
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT_WRX View Post
CVT = Slushbox = Autotragic = AWFULMATIC

I live in NY so don't start with talking about traffic. That's not even an excuse if you have two working legs. I wouldn't buy a CVT even if it was half the price of what I paid for my 6MT.

If you like CVT great......all powers to you. I have no issue with that.

Why Ferrari and Lambo's have automatic? The reason is because they want the best stats.....the fastest numbers. AWFULmatic gets you that. Do I care? Hell no. I can care less if my 6MT is one second or two second slower to 60 or 1/4 mile. I just don't care. I get a whole new enjoyment with 3 pedals that no AWFULmatic can ever dream of. Case closed!
I guess you will never drive Ferrari and lambo since you can only get them in automatic
funboi is offline  
Old 07-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #60
91 RS RA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457410
Join Date: Oct 2016
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy RS RA
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post
Looks like some people here are getting too emotional and not sticking to the facts. The fact is, a cvt will smoke most manual drivers because most manual drivers can't shift like a professional. It's fine if you enjoy rowing because of an old habit like chewing gum or smoking cigars. But to say that manuals are superior to performance tuned cvt autos is laughable.
Interesting you now bring up the "performance tuned CVT" part
From your original argument you never said tuned CVts are better, all you said was CVTs are better.
That's like saying my WRX will beat your WRX, but I didn't tell you mine was tuned!!!!.
I get the fact you brought one and are really happy with it, but you might want try make a statement that doesn't contradict itself.

I will stick with rowing my gears on the legacy and I love it that way, and also will stick to the crappy auto thats in the outback, as Im not worried about racing it.
Have tried CVTs early on and wasn't impressed, may try later if I have no choice.
91 RS RA is online now  
Old 07-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #61
91 RS RA
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 457410
Join Date: Oct 2016
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy RS RA
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post
I guess you will never drive Ferrari and lambo since you can only get them in automatic
Technically they are not Automatic - like a normal auto box.
The Lambo uses a Automated Manual gearbox
Which means the gearbox is like a manual box but all the shifting is taken away from the driver and controlled automatically when the flappy paddles are used.
So you can't call them automatics
91 RS RA is online now  
Old 07-17-2017, 12:13 AM   #62
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
16 wrx 17 cx-5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post
Looks like some people here are getting too emotional and not sticking to the facts. The fact is, a cvt will smoke most manual drivers because most manual drivers can't shift like a professional. It's fine if you enjoy rowing because of an old habit like chewing gum or smoking cigars. But to say that manuals are superior to performance tuned cvt autos is laughable.
even if i granny shift, i can out accelerate a cvt because the cvt eats up more power and puts less of it to the tires. my 6 speed also wont overheat and go into limp mode like cvt's do. why dont you put your money where your mouth is and race one of us 99%'s that dont know how to drive like a professional?
n2oiroc is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 01:55 AM   #63
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Phatron Tuned

Default

I love the idea that shifting properly is the work of professional drivers.


Also, hey funboi which CVT is beating this WRX?

This is all truly amazing though. Two days ago this kid was asking about why the Subaru website says CVTs get worse gas mileage than WRXs and today he's an expert.

But guys, why are we arguing? He already agrees with us, just read his first post, "If you are a professional race car driver and you know how to redline the car and drop the clutch and shift perfectly, you will beat a cvt wrx in a 0 to 60." He said it himself, MT is superior than a CVT with the right driver.
GlarryHoodDIT is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 01:55 AM   #64
robschilke
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 397553
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2014 GR STI
Subaru Ambassador

Default



Thread of the year.
robschilke is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 02:12 AM   #65
Vancouver98STi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 459287
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Vehicle:
1998 JDM Impreza STi
White GF8 wagon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post

the manual transmission was invented in the 19th century. If you want to keep using something from a 100 years ago, that's your choice.
Tell us again how old the wheel is.

So what are you rolling on?
Vancouver98STi is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #66
funboi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471028
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlarryHoodDIT View Post
I love the idea that shifting properly is the work of professional drivers.


Also, hey funboi which CVT is beating this WRX? 2016 FA20DIT WRX Stock Turbo Record Setting Pass - YouTube

This is all truly amazing though. Two days ago this kid was asking about why the Subaru website says CVTs get worse gas mileage than WRXs and today he's an expert.

But guys, why are we arguing? He already agrees with us, just read his first post, "If you are a professional race car driver and you know how to redline the car and drop the clutch and shift perfectly, you will beat a cvt wrx in a 0 to 60." He said it himself, MT is superior than a CVT with the right driver.
Only because subaru decided to use simulated gears on the cvt.
funboi is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #67
funboi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471028
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 RS RA View Post
Technically they are not Automatic - like a normal auto box.
The Lambo uses a Automated Manual gearbox
Which means the gearbox is like a manual box but all the shifting is taken away from the driver and controlled automatically when the flappy paddles are used.
So you can't call them automatics
There is rowing and not rowing.

Many guys here, the choose manual mainly because they want to row. So a ferrari or lambo is inferior to them and they.wouldn't want one even if free.
funboi is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #68
funboi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471028
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlarryHoodDIT View Post
I love the idea that shifting properly is the work of professional drivers.


Also, hey funboi which CVT is beating this WRX? 2016 FA20DIT WRX Stock Turbo Record Setting Pass - YouTube

This is all truly amazing though. Two days ago this kid was asking about why the Subaru website says CVTs get worse gas mileage than WRXs and today he's an expert.

But guys, why are we arguing? He already agrees with us, just read his first post, "If you are a professional race car driver and you know how to redline the car and drop the clutch and shift perfectly, you will beat a cvt wrx in a 0 to 60." He said it himself, MT is superior than a CVT with the right driver.
But 99% of you guys are not professional drivers. You will never utilize the car to its full potential. You can't shift faster than a cvt. Thus making mt drivers worse than a cvt driver.

Stock mt vs stock cvt, my money is on the cvt.

It has already been proven and tested. 99% of the time, cvt will always win.

Did you even see the video below?

funboi is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #69
wadeh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 426075
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Snohomish, WA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post
I agree. If you are a professional race car driver and you know how to redline the car and drop the clutch and shift perfectly, you will beat a cvt wrx in a 0 to 60. But the fact is, 99.999% are just average drivers with no professional skills at all. So it is actually better to buy a cvt wrx because you will 99.999% of the time smoke a manual wrx. Am i wrong?
It is not fair to fish with dynamite.
wadeh is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #70
tramp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 459629
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Knobbley Mountain
Vehicle:
2017 WRX base
WR Blue

Default

True or not.........don't care. It's my car and until you're paying my bills your opinion is fetid rectal discharge.
tramp is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #71
Abismo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 99707
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Missouri
Vehicle:
2010 WRX (in spirit)
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post
I agree. If you are a professional race car driver and you know how to redline the car and drop the clutch and shift perfectly, you will beat a cvt wrx in a 0 to 60. But the fact is, 99.999% are just average drivers with no professional skills at all. So it is actually better to buy a cvt wrx because you will 99.999% of the time smoke a manual wrx. Am i wrong?
lol im not buying either option to racecar... thats not the point for myself and im sure many others.

so which is the better "racecar" option is frankly irrelevant.

They can keep making the cvt option for as long as they want just as long as I can get a MT option. selling MORE wrx... hurts none of us.
Abismo is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #72
shoots808
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 370541
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2008 Subaru WRX
WRB

Default

CVT's are apparently unreliable along with Forbes not knowing that Subaru doesn't make a V6...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/.../#747db0e679dc
shoots808 is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #73
funboi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471028
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoots808 View Post
CVT's are apparently unreliable along with Forbes not knowing that Subaru doesn't make a V6...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/.../#747db0e679dc
Yawn. Dsg transmission also faces issues.
funboi is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #74
parkern
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 459019
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Utah
Vehicle:
2012 STi
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funboi View Post
All I am saying is that with manual shifting, you introduce human error. In a perfect setting with a professional driver, the MT will smoke the CVT. But with everyday civilian drivers, where they make mistakes and human errors, you can never beat a computer shifting for you.

A professional chessplayer can beat IBM Deep Blue's computer. But 99.9999999% of you guys will never beat a computer.
This thread is a joke. And you have terrible logic. A 1999 automatic Honda Civic can beat a manual WRX if the WRX driver is terrible at shifting. By the logic you've been using, that means that the Civic is faster than a WRX 99.99999% of the time, unless both drivers are professional race car drivers, right? You're right, if someone is bad at shifting, a lot of automatics could beat them, whether it's a WRX CVT or not.

So what you're really trying to say is that if you're bad at shifting and you want to pretend you're a race car driver and race other soccer moms on your way to practice, get a CVT. I totally agree with that conclusion. If that's your situation, then I would definitely support you in getting a CVT, and would agree that it's the right choice for you. So good job, you can feel validated in your choice.

While a CVT makes sense for some people, a manual is the more fun option. Based on numbers reported from multiple sources, the manual is also faster if you know how to shift properly, which is probably 90% of the people on this forum. But I haven't tested them myself so I can't say for sure. And I don't care.

On a related note, the other day I raced a GT-R. The guy wasn't a professional race car driver and so he wasn't used to paddle shifters and immediately started shifting up, thinking it would make him go faster, and was in 5th gear by the time he was going 35 mph and I beat him. Now I know that a professional race car driver in the GT-R would have beat me, that's obvious. But the good news is, now I know that with "civilian" drivers, STIs can beat GT-Rs 99.999999% of the time! Also, that clearly shows that 4 cylinder engines are better than V6s. I'll go see if I can find a YouTube video to prove it.
parkern is offline  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #75
Funyun
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 422642
Join Date: Jun 2015
Default

I honestly wouldnt have even bought this card if I had to get the CVT. Id rather just get something else like the GTI/R with DSG. It would have been cool if the WRX came with that instead.
Funyun is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.