Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports > Autocross

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #701
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

Shhhh! I've been eyeing the 7163 as a potential candidate for a low mount TS setup. Currently waiting to see if my letter for modifying the front bumper beam gains any traction. If so, then eventually I'll have something a little different on my car.

Currently, my goal is 400 ft/lbs of torque at 4000 rpm or before. Ideally, I'd like 400 ft/lbs of torque at 3,200 rpm while holding 400+ hp to 7,500 or more.

Money is speed, how fast do you want to go?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #702
Funky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 11520
Join Date: Oct 2001
Vehicle:
2005 STi (retired)
Obsidian Black

Default

I've autocrossed my STI with the fuel light on, it doesn't starve prematurely.
Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #703
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
Shhhh! I've been eyeing the 7163 as a potential candidate for a low mount TS setup. Currently waiting to see if my letter for modifying the front bumper beam gains any traction. If so, then eventually I'll have something a little different on my car.

Currently, my goal is 400 ft/lbs of torque at 4000 rpm or before. Ideally, I'd like 400 ft/lbs of torque at 3,200 rpm while holding 400+ hp to 7,500 or more.

Money is speed, how fast do you want to go?
The EFRs are glorious.

Any chance that you could fit it next to the tranny if you were running a 5 speed? With the exhaust coming in from the top? Would still end up needing a stockish length header, but would keep the weight down and further back. You would probably end up needing a pump for the oil and the turbo would be kind of exposed to road hazzards.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #704
WRX8XB
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45323
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
MY05 Impreza WRX STi
Pastelito Racing & SFSOC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
Shhhh! I've been eyeing the 7163 as a potential candidate for a low mount TS setup. Currently waiting to see if my letter for modifying the front bumper beam gains any traction. If so, then eventually I'll have something a little different on my car.

Currently, my goal is 400 ft/lbs of torque at 4000 rpm or before. Ideally, I'd like 400 ft/lbs of torque at 3,200 rpm while holding 400+ hp to 7,500 or more.

Money is speed, how fast do you want to go?
Even with a modified beam there isn't a lot of room, does the GC have more room in front of the motor compared to the GD?
WRX8XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #705
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
The EFRs are glorious.

Any chance that you could fit it next to the tranny if you were running a 5 speed? With the exhaust coming in from the top? Would still end up needing a stockish length header, but would keep the weight down and further back. You would probably end up needing a pump for the oil and the turbo would be kind of exposed to road hazzards.
When I bought the 1.5xtr it was late 2010 or early 2011 and I don't think they had anything small enough (or small enough for my purposes) to fit in the stock location or I would have gone with an EFR. Now that they do, it's tempting, but I'd rather stick with what I have until I really go elbows deep into making my own setup.

I doubt a rearward mount would work, but the 5-speed is a lot smaller after the bellhousing. I've looked around back there, but nothing really jumps out at me as a good relocation point. Mostly because it defeats the purpose of shortening the length of the headers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX8XB View Post
Even with a modified beam there isn't a lot of room, does the GC have more room in front of the motor compared to the GD?
Actually, it has less The core support arms going to the frame rails actually have a shallower angle than the GD's meaning the radiator sits closer to the front of the engine on mine. I had to trim the fan shroud to fit both fans on the radiator.

However, I'm thinking of a 3/4 length radiator mixed with modifying the bumper beam. Those two things would allow a low mount turbo, a nice FMIC, and a rotated intake manifold to happen. You could have the turbo up high enough to not need an aux oil pump and the reduction in both hot and cold side tubing compared to most FMIC setups would be almost 10 feet.

More weight on the nose, but I'd trade the 35-40 lbs moved forward for the reduction in spool and greater power output.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #706
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
When I bought the 1.5xtr it was late 2010 or early 2011 and I don't think they had anything small enough (or small enough for my purposes) to fit in the stock location or I would have gone with an EFR. Now that they do, it's tempting, but I'd rather stick with what I have until I really go elbows deep into making my own setup..
The B1 Frame EFRs might fit there, but they still only come with T2 flanges and 3"gt v-band outlets. So you have to make a UP and DP anyways (or pay full race an absurd amount of money).
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #707
WRX8XB
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45323
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
MY05 Impreza WRX STi
Pastelito Racing & SFSOC

Default

Have you been following the killer b low mount thread?
WRX8XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #708
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX8XB View Post
Have you been following the killer b low mount thread?
Yes, and I've gleaned a few ideas from it. I think his setup will be great for the GD cars, but would have fitment issues on something like mine. Plus, the cost is a bit high. I'd rather build my own (and probably spend just as much ) and have it fit the way I want it to. Not to mention I can spec my own radiator and build my own bumper beam setup.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #709
WRX8XB
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45323
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
MY05 Impreza WRX STi
Pastelito Racing & SFSOC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
Yes, and I've gleaned a few ideas from it. I think his setup will be great for the GD cars, but would have fitment issues on something like mine. Plus, the cost is a bit high. I'd rather build my own (and probably spend just as much ) and have it fit the way I want it to. Not to mention I can spec my own radiator and build my own bumper beam setup.
Figured your car would need some tweaks, the thread brings up a good point about the "depth" of the EFR turbos were you thinking of running it the same orientation or mounted the other direction?
WRX8XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #710
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX8XB View Post
Figured your car would need some tweaks, the thread brings up a good point about the "depth" of the EFR turbos were you thinking of running it the same orientation or mounted the other direction?
Space would determine orientation and final location. Changing the radiator and bumper beam/skin would open up PLENTY of room for the EFR. You'd have to figure out the intake/exhaust/charge pipe routing, but those are minor details to me

It's all hogwash if the SMAC comes back and says "NO BUMPER BEAM MODIFICATIONS FOR YOU!!". Then I'll continue on with my OE location and TMIC.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #711
WRX8XB
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45323
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
MY05 Impreza WRX STi
Pastelito Racing & SFSOC

Default

could do one of the EFR stock location turbos.
WRX8XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #712
Squidz
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 142608
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Cute fuzzy cuddly kitten hell.
Vehicle:
2003 Sonic Yellow
Marginally well behaved.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
Space would determine orientation and final location. Changing the radiator and bumper beam/skin would open up PLENTY of room for the EFR. You'd have to figure out the intake/exhaust/charge pipe routing, but those are minor details to me

It's all hogwash if the SMAC comes back and says "NO BUMPER BEAM MODIFICATIONS FOR YOU!!". Then I'll continue on with my OE location and TMIC.
That's gonna be the bitch of it...i hope you get your exemption...may have tried and failed.
Squidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #713
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX8XB View Post
could do one of the EFR stock location turbos.
Honestly it should only cost you $100 in materials tops to make the new up pipe and another $200 to make the down pipe. If you were going to keep the stock header.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #714
WRX8XB
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45323
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
MY05 Impreza WRX STi
Pastelito Racing & SFSOC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Honestly it should only cost you $100 in materials tops to make the new up pipe and another $200 to make the down pipe. If you were going to keep the stock header.
It's a tempting option.
WRX8XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #715
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

And if the no bumper beam thing stays in place then I might do the EFR to get the decreased spool time.

The way I asked wasn't "can we remove it", it was "can we modify it, but keep it the same weight and mount in the same location". I figure that's still reasonable
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #716
WRX8XB
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 45323
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
MY05 Impreza WRX STi
Pastelito Racing & SFSOC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
And if the no bumper beam thing stays in place then I might do the EFR to get the decreased spool time.

The way I asked wasn't "can we remove it", it was "can we modify it, but keep it the same weight and mount in the same location". I figure that's still reasonable
I agree, 2 solid 2" thick "mounts" for a nice light weight bar.
WRX8XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #717
*Ulimited*
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139249
Join Date: Jan 2007
Default

16.1.M No portion of the splitter may extend beyond the widest part of the front
bumper/fascia as viewed from above.

If I have the kartlon fender flares on the car can I make the splitter extend out to the widest part of the flare or do I have to keep it to the stock bumper?
*Ulimited* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #718
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ulimited* View Post
16.1.M No portion of the splitter may extend beyond the widest part of the front
bumper/fascia as viewed from above.

If I have the kartlon fender flares on the car can I make the splitter extend out to the widest part of the flare or do I have to keep it to the stock bumper?
Street Mod allows you to make your own bumper covers, so assuming the Kartlon flares attach to the bumper you could say the splitter could be that wide. I probably wouldn't make it that wide myself since the gains at autox speed wouldn't be enough to offset the fact that the car is now x inches wider at the front.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #719
*Ulimited*
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139249
Join Date: Jan 2007
Default

Hmm good point, My thoughts were to maximize the area of the front splitter to make it as effective as possible since we never really see too much speed, but I see your point, thx.
*Ulimited* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #720
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ulimited* View Post
Hmm good point, My thoughts were to maximize the area of the front splitter to make it as effective as possible since we never really see too much speed, but I see your point, thx.
I'd wait till V2 of your aero for that. I know I need more front now but my wing makes significantly more downforce than any of the typical off the shelf options.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #721
*Ulimited*
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139249
Join Date: Jan 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I'd wait till V2 of your aero for that. I know I need more front now but my wing makes significantly more downforce than any of the typical off the shelf options.
Ciro?
*Ulimited* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #722
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ulimited* View Post
Ciro?
No, Joint effort between Legit Products and Davis Race Engineering. And by that I mean my roommate and I engineered and fabricated it. Car certainly tends towards push with above 60ish even with a legal limit sized splitter. Thankfully its designed to be 85% of the allowable wing area so I can add kanards.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #723
*Ulimited*
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139249
Join Date: Jan 2007
Default

speaking of kanards I like the look of these
*Ulimited* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #724
Leafy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 330625
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
WRB

Default

I dont think the endplates are allowed.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #725
subydude
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80649
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Columbia, SC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Dusty

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
No, Joint effort between Legit Products and Davis Race Engineering. And by that I mean my roommate and I engineered and fabricated it. Car certainly tends towards push with above 60ish even with a legal limit sized splitter. Thankfully its designed to be 85% of the allowable wing area so I can add kanards.
Is the wing adjustable? Twin element and all?

Canards don't do as much as you think they do.
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will my trans swap put me automatically in Street Mod? RebelINS Autocross 6 07-22-2013 05:24 PM
I'm still legal for Street Mod right?(list inside) Davenow Motorsports 4 05-24-2003 03:21 AM
street mod tire question Jaxx Motorsports 2 02-20-2003 07:59 PM
Autocross class... Street Mod? Motohead1 South East Region Forum 11 06-26-2001 10:11 AM
Street Mod news Eric Technical Forum Archive 5 05-31-2000 02:33 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.