Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 15, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
subie09
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 87033
Default CVT Locks in Park

Hi everyone,

I am having problems with my 2015 Subaru Impreza CVT (w/eyesight).

Often times after sitting for while(almost always after an overnight) the gear selector won't let you shift out of park the next morning. Using the override "button" allows you to bring it out of park and then it is usually fine. Even after shutting down and starting the car multiple times. Although after parking it for an hour or two there is a good chance you have to override it again.

Sometimes it will decide to work again (without using the override) after restarting the car a bunch of times too.

No warning lights on dash, and the brake lights work even when it won't let you out of park.

I tried swapping out the brake light switch since it was easy and only $12, but it didn't help at all?

Has anyone else run into this problem before? What should I check next?

Thanks!
subie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
CaptainSlowbaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 445600
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 Outback Sport
Green

Is your car still under it's 3/36 warranty? If it is, take it to the dealer. If not, did you replace the brake lamp switch with an OE part? This is a common problem, and 98% of the time its a brake lamp switch. Subaru is now installing an updated brake lamp switch (still says Nissan on the part) because of how common this problem is, and they still go bad often.
CaptainSlowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
subie09
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlowbaru View Post
Is your car still under it's 3/36 warranty? If it is, take it to the dealer. If not, did you replace the brake lamp switch with an OE part? This is a common problem, and 98% of the time its a brake lamp switch. Subaru is now installing an updated brake lamp switch (still says Nissan on the part) because of how common this problem is, and they still go bad often.

Unfortunately, the car is not under warranty any more.

Yes, I replaced the brake light with an OEM switch, and it is the updated version (blue plastic shell with Nissan stamp on it).

Actually, we had the switch fail last year (all sorts of warning lights,car would intermittently not start, brake lights wouldn't work, and eyesight would turn off) while the car was under warranty still. It wasn't showing any of those symptoms this time, but since it was cheap and easy and as you say is the problem "98% of the time" I went ahead and changed it.

Any ideas what I should be looking for for the other 2% of the time?

Is there a relay that might not be working right? What other sensors have to say "ok" before the transmission lock will disengage?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
CaptainSlowbaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 445600
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 Outback Sport
Green

The only other electrical components involved are the BIU and the shifter assembly itself. For that "2%" of the time, I'd lean towards the shifter. I've been seeing a lot of Legacy shifter problems lately, but the problem with those is the key won't come out of the ignition... wrong problem than yours, but worth noting. I also wouldn't rule out a bad brake switch out of the box- it's been known to happen. Are you positive the switch is adjusted correctly? Subaru issued a second brake lamp switch TSB, this time focusing heavily on the adjustment procedure. Also, if you have access to a scan tool that can read ABS codes, see if any codes set related to the brake lamp switch. If so, it probably is the switch after all.
CaptainSlowbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 AM   #5
subie09
Scooby Newbie

To be fair, I eyeballed the 3-8mm travel before the brake lights activating. I'll re-adjust tomorrow actually measuring it this time.

I also notice the procedures also say to "Clear the ABS / VDC system memory", any idea how to do this? Does pulling the battery for an hour reset it?

The only scan tool I have is a cheap bluetooth adapter and the Torque app, not really sure if it will read anything more than engine codes, but I'll give that a shot too.

Thank you for you help.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 AM   #6
subie09
Scooby Newbie

Also, Any idea what the wiring set-up is for that brake light switch? If I can get the car to malfunction overnight and can find a wiring diagram for that switch I might try reaching under and disconnecting the wiring and jumping the switch. If the car then lets me change out of park, I know it is still a bad brake switch.

There are 4 wires coming out of the brake switch, any idea which I would have to connect to fake the car into thinking the brake light is pressed.

I can't find a wiring diagram for a 2015 floating around online anywhere.