Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 11, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
RealBACONATOR2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520025
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS

Default 2011 Impreza, dead compass and 12V plug

Hi all, just trying to sort through fixing these things.

I have the rear view mirror with auto-dim and compass, not homelink. The auto-dim works but the compass screen is completely black. I replaced the rear view mirror with a new one and oddly enough it has the exact same problem. Auto-dim works, compass does not. I think the issue is further back in whatever system controls the compass, but don't know what my next step would be.

Second issue; the 12V plug below the A/C controls is dead. The one in the console works, but the plug below the A/C doesn't. I checked the fuse for that plug but it is not blown. Not sure what else to do here.

I did see on some older forums that this exact issue of dead compass and dead front 12V port was caused by a blown fuse, but don't know which one that would be.

2011 Impreza OBS
RealBACONATOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Lilyjess18
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479122

Been trying to solve this problem for years! Would love some help also
Lilyjess18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #3
Wayne Suhrbier
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 144044
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 STI
OBP

If they are both on the same fuse test for power leaving the fuse and check the connecting wires. At least on older models the "lighter" plug has a type of fuse built into it on the back that is non replaceable. I can't see how that would effect the compass though.
Wayne Suhrbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

There are only two connections to the mirror, + for switched accessory power and - for ground. Maybe a third if the reverse disable is connected which it usually isn't. Both the auto-dim and compass circuitry are fully contained within the mirror so unless the mirror is defective it's not possible for one or the other to not be working due to a problem with the vehicle.
Are you 100% sure the auto-dim is working? If it is and the compass isn't, it would appear you have two separate issues (and perhaps two defective mirrors).
The mirror and front power socket are indeed on the same fuse, and as mentioned there is also another fuse built into the socket itself. That is a thermal fuse which opens in the event the socket overheats, to prevent a fire or wiring damage. Once that fuse opens the socket has to be replaced.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
RealBACONATOR2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
There are only two connections to the mirror, + for switched accessory power and - for ground. Maybe a third if the reverse disable is connected which it usually isn't. Both the auto-dim and compass circuitry are fully contained within the mirror so unless the mirror is defective it's not possible for one or the other to not be working due to a problem with the vehicle.
Are you 100% sure the auto-dim is working? If it is and the compass isn't, it would appear you have two separate issues (and perhaps two defective mirrors).
The mirror and front power socket are indeed on the same fuse, and as mentioned there is also another fuse built into the socket itself. That is a thermal fuse which opens in the event the socket overheats, to prevent a fire or wiring damage. Once that fuse opens the socket has to be replaced.

Thanks for the information! Yes, I'm pretty sure the auto-dim is working, the "mirror" button to turn it on and off has a green light that I can see switching on and off when I press the button, and I don't get blinded at night. It's entirely possible both mirrors were defective! I saw another thread where people re-soldered some resistors on older (06-07) Forester mirrors and got the compass to work again.

Could well be the internal fuse on the 12V is shot. Seems pretty embedded in the dash so that one might stay broken...
Old 02-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #6
RealBACONATOR2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS

Fixed the mirror! The problem turned out to be the solder on the resistors in the mirror circuit board, fixed according to this thread:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...mirror+compass

Just got a cheap solder kit from harbor freight and blobbed some more solder on the sides of all 4 resistors, and what do you know the compass lit up again! So it looks like imprezas out to at least 2011 have the same mirror circuitry that can fail in the same way
Old 02-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #7
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

That's good news. FYI Subaru doesn't make the mirrors, they are made by Gentex and sold as a dealer or DIY option. I've had many of these in different vehicles and never had a dead compass, wonder what's so "special" about Subaru that they go bad.
So it would appear that your power socket is just dead and will probably need to be replaced. Assuming you aren't the original owner, someone before you must have trashed it.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
RealBACONATOR2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
That's good news. FYI Subaru doesn't make the mirrors, they are made by Gentex and sold as a dealer or DIY option. I've had many of these in different vehicles and never had a dead compass, wonder what's so "special" about Subaru that they go bad.
So it would appear that your power socket is just dead and will probably need to be replaced. Assuming you aren't the original owner, someone before you must have trashed it.

Yeah some searches on here shows the dead compass problem is pretty common, and apparently due to poor solder on those resistors. I wonder if it's just cars that were in a really hot environment (this car is from Florida) that the old solder just gave up.

I'll have to look into how difficult that 12V plug is to replace. Might not be worth it in the end.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #9
Wayne Suhrbier
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 144044
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 STI
OBP

I can replace one in an 06 or 00 in under 5 min. Popping the trim loose is the "hardest" part.
Wayne Suhrbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #10
RealBACONATOR2
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 Impreza OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Suhrbier View Post
I can replace one in an 06 or 00 in under 5 min. Popping the trim loose is the "hardest" part.

Yeah looks like it changed for the later models. On the 2011 you have to basically take apart the entire dash. I can include pics from the service manual but it's not pretty.