Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday December 12, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
aggie113
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146311
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: San Antonio, TX
Vehicle:
Saab '05 HTA68 Built
2.5L E85 6MT > STI :)

Question thinking about salvage purchase

So I'm thinking of picking up a Subaru with a rebuilt title. The reviews on the place selling seem to be positive (google) but wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts on them specifically. Place is called North West Group (out of Portland), site is nwgrouppdx.com. If the carfax matches the story and inspection is good then I'm willing to take the hit on it since I plan to keep the car for a very long time.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by aggie113; 06-10-2016 at 07:52 AM.
aggie113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
pizza_pablo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 367980
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Vehicle:
2017 WRX / HUQ-22
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie113 View Post
So I'm thinking of picking up a Subaru with a rebuilt title. The reviews on the place selling seem to be positive (google) but wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts on them specifically. Place is called North West Group (out of Portland), site is nwgrouppdx.com. If the carfax matches the story and inspection is good then I'm willing to take the hit on it since I plan to keep the car for a very long time.
I recommend NO.
Oregon , from what I've read, does not require much, if anything, in the way of inspections, prior to registering a rebuilt wreck.
There are hundreds of cars, on Craig's List, in Oregon with rebuilt titles. It is an industry down there. When I have found ads with VINs, I've googled the VIN and usually found pics, from the yard that auctioned the wreck. You would not want to drive most of these cars, after seeing what happened to them.
pizza_pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:07 AM   #3
aggie113
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146311
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: San Antonio, TX
Vehicle:
Saab '05 HTA68 Built
2.5L E85 6MT > STI :)

Default

Aware of the risks of buying salvage. Looking for info on the place selling it...
aggie113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
car_freak85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13530
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cascadia
Vehicle:
EA63 , EA81T, EJ20G,
EJ205

Default

If you can't find info with a quick google search, you probably shouldn't do business with that company.
car_freak85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #5
aggie113
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 146311
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: San Antonio, TX
Vehicle:
Saab '05 HTA68 Built
2.5L E85 6MT > STI :)

Default

Useless, the lot of you.
aggie113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
Annihilator817
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 296742
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
'16 STI, '11 WRX,
'96 328i DSP

Default

I guarantee this won't end well for you.

Those prices have barely a discount for salvaged cars.
Annihilator817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
car_freak85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13530
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cascadia
Vehicle:
EA63 , EA81T, EJ20G,
EJ205

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie113 View Post
Useless, the lot of you.
Hey, it's your money, do whatever the hell you want. BUT, you DID make a post on the internet asking for advice. People replied and you didn't like our opinions because we're telling you that your brilliant idea is actually a terrible one.

Grow up. Make good decisions. Profit.

Oh, don't forget to post here about your experience buying a salvaged car, we could use a good laugh. (Although if you DO end up buying this car, we probably won't ever hear from you again because when it does come back to bite you in the ass, you won't want to hear us say "I told you so!").
car_freak85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Gam30vR
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289486
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yakima
Vehicle:
03 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_freak85 View Post
Hey, it's your money, do whatever the hell you want. BUT, you DID make a post on the internet asking for advice. People replied and you didn't like our opinions because we're telling you that your brilliant idea is actually a terrible one.

Grow up. Make good decisions. Profit.

Oh, don't forget to post here about your experience buying a salvaged car, we could use a good laugh. (Although if you DO end up buying this car, we probably won't ever hear from you again because when it does come back to bite you in the ass, you won't want to hear us say "I told you so!").
Lol Im not saying everyone should buy a rebuilt/salvaged car but you need to calm down. There is a reason there is a market for them, they can work out. Again I'm not saying it's the best option but stop being so one sided.
Gam30vR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #9
TrueSilver
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152207
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Vehicle:
2006 CGM WRX
2017 Colorado 2.8L

Default

If it checks out and you know what to look for they can be great deals. Have it inspected by a reputable shop and get the full history with pictures of what happened. I have had many branded title cars and they drove just fine for years.

Long as the price reflects the brand of course done pay clean title retail. That being said any car clean or dirty you should have it inspected. I've ran into instances where a clean title car had air bags deployed and people treated it like it was worth nothing because of it.

I have only owned like 35+ cars so that is my .02

That website looks not so informative. I do not like when they do not post the title status.
TrueSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #10
Gam30vR
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289486
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yakima
Vehicle:
03 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueSilver View Post
If it checks out and you know what to look for they can be great deals. Have it inspected by a reputable shop and get the full history with pictures of what happened. I have had many branded title cars and they drove just fine for years.

Long as the price reflects the brand of course done pay clean title retail. That being said any car clean or dirty you should have it inspected. I've ran into instances where a clean title car had air bags deployed and people treated it like it was worth nothing because of it.

I have only owned like 35+ cars so that is my .02

That website looks not so informative. I do not like when they do not post the title status.
What he said.
Gam30vR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
Bariga
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179846
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Renton, WA
Vehicle:
07 STi Limited
EFR 7670 TS

Default

id buy no questions ask if i saw pics of before and after
Bariga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #12
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam30vR View Post
There is a reason there is a market for them, they can work out.
Sorry to give you the hard answer but...

The market is made of people who can't actually afford these cars without a salvage title. If the only way you can afford the car is with a **** ton of miles and a branded title, you can't afford the car.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
Gam30vR
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289486
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yakima
Vehicle:
03 WRX
WRB

Default

I see your point but no. No, no, no. And I love how you add the ***** ton of miles part , what does that have to do with a branded title? If you really think about it, they would have less miles because they weren't being driven? And who cares about miles? If the car is straight with no rust? Do you not work on your own cars? Please tell me you at least change your own oil.
Gam30vR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
car_freak85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13530
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cascadia
Vehicle:
EA63 , EA81T, EJ20G,
EJ205

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam30vR View Post
And who cares about miles? If the car is straight with no rust? Do you not work on your own cars? Please tell me you at least change your own oil.
I care more about "straight with no rust" than total vehicle mileage, but I won't touch anything with over 10k miles per year (call me crazy). I do ALL my own work.

More miles means you're closer to having to replace EVERYTHING. Something I'm less than enthusiastic about since I'd be doing the work.

The thing with rebuilds is that the car will never be the same, might be close, but not identical. It is too easy to hide shoddy bodywork and there are too many shady body shops around to trust your life, literally, to some minimum-wage shmuck who is just trying to beat flatrate time on the repair.

Subaru has a vested interest in keeping you safe and alive. Chuck's Fly-By-Night Auto Repair just wants your cash...
car_freak85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #15
Gam30vR
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 289486
Join Date: Jul 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yakima
Vehicle:
03 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_freak85 View Post
I care more about "straight with no rust" than total vehicle mileage, but I won't touch anything with over 10k miles per year (call me crazy). I do ALL my own work.

More miles means you're closer to having to replace EVERYTHING. Something I'm less than enthusiastic about since I'd be doing the work.

The thing with rebuilds is that the car will never be the same, might be close, but not identical. It is too easy to hide shoddy bodywork and there are too many shady body shops around to trust your life, literally, to some minimum-wage shmuck who is just trying to beat flatrate time on the repair.

Subaru has a vested interest in keeping you safe and alive. Chuck's Fly-By-Night Auto Repair just wants your cash...
Agree but... salvage/rebuild or fender bender = never the same. And do you know how many cars have been in fender benders? A ton of them, many of which never get reported so chances are a few cars you have owned "were never the same" but you had no idea because it was done right. It can be done right, it just comes down to the shop not the fact that it is a salvaged title.
Gam30vR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:53 AM   #16
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam30vR View Post
I see your point but no. No, no, no. And I love how you add the ***** ton of miles part , what does that have to do with a branded title?
that was supposed to be an "or", but either way, the point still stands.

Quote:
If you really think about it, they would have less miles because they weren't being driven?
Because they were busy being a flood recovery? Or a major frame repair? Or stripped to pieces (theft recovery?)?

Branded titles don't happen over minor issues.

Quote:
And who cares about miles? If the car is straight with no rust?
Who cares about miles? Chassis' weaken and flex more and more the older they get and the more they get used.

Thats why your odometer is how many miles the chassis has, not how many miles are on the mechanicals.

Quote:
Do you not work on your own cars? Please tell me you at least change your own oil.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam30vR View Post
Agree but... salvage/rebuild or fender bender = never the same. And do you know how many cars have been in fender benders? A ton of them, many of which never get reported so chances are a few cars you have owned "were never the same" but you had no idea because it was done right. It can be done right, it just comes down to the shop not the fact that it is a salvaged title.
Minor fender benders won't brand a title. Major structural damage, flood recovery, theft recovery. If the cost to repair is more than a percentage of the cars value, the title will get branded.

Last edited by sc00by4life; 06-21-2016 at 12:33 PM.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #17
car_freak85
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13530
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Cascadia
Vehicle:
EA63 , EA81T, EJ20G,
EJ205

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam30vR View Post
Agree but... salvage/rebuild or fender bender = never the same. And do you know how many cars have been in fender benders? A ton of them, many of which never get reported so chances are a few cars you have owned "were never the same" but you had no idea because it was done right. It can be done right, it just comes down to the shop not the fact that it is a salvaged title.
My mother is getting older and, while she was never a spectacular driver to begin with, she has been using the old "park-by-braille" method a lot more frequently. Her previous car, a camry, got side T-bone/swiped buy a pickup. It didn't seem like a lot of damage, and wasn't enough to total the car. BUT. THEY HAD TO CUT OUT AND REPAIR THE B-PILLAR. That is not a trivial amount of work and, despite their insistence that it would be good as new, it wasn't. We traded that car in after the repair on a new Forester.

Now her Fozzy has been in the body shop twice and she asked me to inspect the repair both times. One was because someone tweaked the open driver's door in a parking lot, the other was to repair a parking-pillar-rub.

She LOVES her Forester and took it to two different but equally highly rated body shops. Upon both post-repair inspections I found enough shoddy work, missing clips, overspray, crappy buffing, or just poorly installed/aligned panels that we ended up getting about $2,500 combined in free repairs because these two "highly rated" shops couldn't be bothered to put in the time to properly repair a crappy old 2016 Forester.

Can a repair be made correctly? Sure, but in MY experience I've found that body shops are the last people you want to trust with your vehicle and you/your family's safety. It is for this reason, along with others, that I won't give a vehicle with accident damage a second look.

"Buy the best example you can find." --- Ever heard that saying? Salvaged/branded/accident-repaired vehicles DO NOT fall into the "best example" category. I think a previous poster hit the nail on the head when they said that there is a market for rebuilt vehicles because there is some population of people who couldn't afford the vehicle in question unless it WAS a salvage or had some other massive issue that made the car cheap to buy in the first place.
car_freak85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:11 AM   #18
Flowmastered87GL
WCSS Drunk
Moderator
 
Member#: 8914
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland Oregon
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Sport
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

To add upon the above post... agreed on trying to buy the best example. And also if you are needing to buy a salvage car to afford the car.... you likely can't afford the rest of the car when it needs a $1000 set of tires, you blow a turbo, etc. That is the reason that some once higher end cars end up at the bottom of the market. (For example you can find a lot of neglected SVX's for super cheap.... but they are money pits because people have neglected them because the parts are so expensive. Top gear also touched on it... Jeremy Clarkson bought a 5000 British Pound supercar (and old Mercedes I think) and it was 1200 Pounds for a new coil pack a week or two later. Not salvage I know, but same idea of not being able to afford a discounted car.
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:48 AM   #19
Annihilator817
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 296742
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
'16 STI, '11 WRX,
'96 328i DSP

Default

When someone crashes into you and totals it again, and the insurance company gives you exactly jack and **** for your $25k car, you'll realize why you don't want a car with a branded title.
Annihilator817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #20
13wrxpnw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 375935
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Issaquah WA.
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru WRX
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Depends why it got the branded title.
13wrxpnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.