Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday January 19, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Texas Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
dhernandez
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316022
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
White

Default Long Shot, Water pump help

Hey guys I have a 2004 Forester XT and the water pump is bad. I took it to a local shop in Texas City and they did they did not feel comfortable working on it. So I was wondering if there is any body on here that is familiar with these that is willing to work on it. I'll be bringing it home Friday. I have a garage full of organized tool and will help every step of the way. I will pay for your services and supply water, beer, soda, food, whatever. Or if someone knows someone that can help please share their info.
The car will be at my house come Fri in Hitchcock just north of Galveston. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks Derrick H 409-795-9793
dhernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
dhernandez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
White

Surely someone has done this before and wants to make some money.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #3
dhernandez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
White

No one huh? This used to be the place to go to for help. What a shame....
Old 11-21-2017, 05:07 AM   #4
JonnyBlobeyeSTi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477298
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Platinum Silver

Being that I'm in CenTex I can't come out to help you but I can tell you that changing the pump isn't very hard.
Step 1, buy the parts you need. Typically when replacing the water pump you will want to replace the timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, 4 idler pulleys, water pump gasket, and thermostat gasket. You can also test the thermostat using hot water on the stove to verify it's opening and closing properly. If not, add that to the list. Might also be a good time to replace the coolant if it's old since you will have to drain the system anyways. Finally, if your accessory belts are old you might as well change those too because those have to come off. Got all your parts? Cool.
Step 2, drain the coolant. Your radiator has a drain ****. You can put the coolant overflow hose on it to drain it into bottles or drip pan. Make sure to remove the radiator cap to help speed up the process. The alternative method would be to drain from the lower radiator hose, this is faster but can be messy. All drained? Good.
Step 3, remove accessory belts and timing belt cover. The alternator will need to be loosened so the belt tensioner can move and there should be a nut that needs to be loosened on the other belt tensioner so it moves freely. Once that's out of the way remove the timing belt cover.
Step 4, rotate the assembly to center. Your main pulley should have a mark for center which you will want to rotate to the center mark on your block. If you're planning on reusing the timing belt you will want to mark the belt and cam gears with paint pens BEFORE removing the belt. Don't be shy with the paint pen either. I like using fluorescent paint pens because they're easy to see. I suggest using a different color for each cam gear and draw an arrow for front so it's fool proof.
Step 5, remove the idler pulleys, hydraulic tensioner, and water pump. I like to replace as I remove so there's no, "where did this one go again". Remove the thermostat and be ready for more coolant to come out. Take off the thermostat gasket and test it in some hot water on the stove to verify it's good, replace it if it isn't. Put a new thermostat gasket on and put it back but make sure you don't insert it backwards. Bolt up the new water pump with the new gasket. Bolt up the hydraulic tensioner and leave the pull pin in until you get the belt all lined up. Didn't get a new one? Compress the old one to line up the holes and stick a nail or something like that in there. You'll want to do that before bolting it up.
Step 6, my least favorite, the belt. Yes, they make special tools to help prevent the cam gears from turning and to help rotate them if they aren't alligned correctly but I never bought them. It's not impossible but can be difficult solo. The cam lobes compressing the valve springs tend to make the cam gears not want to stay put. It's okay if they jump, just be patient. Piston to valve contact shouldn't be an issue because you centered the pistons, 'member? Once you've got the belt on and triple checked the marks are lined up, pull the hydraulic tensioner pin/nail. Verify everything is still lined up. Good? Okay!
Step 7, install the timing belt cover and accessory belts. Make sure you tighten everything that you loosened to release the tension on the belts. Make sure you put the lower radiator hose back on the water pump before...
Step 8, refilling the coolant. Don't forget to close the drain **** on the radiator. You're going to want to burp the air in the system so you don't get an air pocket and overheat which would make all your hard work pointless.
Not sure what I'm talking about? Check out YouTube and you'll understand. There's probably several videos of doing the whole job as well. Pretty sure I covered everything but I may have missed something along the way which I'm sure someone will explain. Ultimately what you decide to replace is up to you. I'm guessing that shop didn't want to do it because they didn't want to mess with the timing belt or they recommended replacing XYZ and you said no. The fact of the matter is there is preventative maintenance which can be taken care of at the same time. If you just replaced the belts and idlers, then don't replace them again. Sorry I couldn't be helpful physically but I hope this helps in some way. The first time I pulled my motor I did it with the help of a friend that only speaks Chevrolet and YouTube.
JonnyBlobeyeSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #5
JonnyBlobeyeSTi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477298
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Platinum Silver

Apparently draincock isn't allowed when the word is split up in case you were wondering what the censorship was for.
JonnyBlobeyeSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
dhernandez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
White

Thank you very much for the great write up Jonny. And yes the timing is the reason the shop said no. And also the reason I was hesitant about doing myself. I have a week off and plan to tear into it. I just did the thermostat before realizing it was the water pump and since I'm there I'll defintley be doing the belt and tensioner.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
AliBenn
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 487
Vehicle:
1998 /2005 STunIcorn
Acadia Green RS-T

if you get that far in the repair go ahead and get a timing belt kit....like from Rock Auto
includes EVERYTHING including h20 pump

I know of no shops in that area but hard to imagine that some shop can work on a Subaru
AliBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
Angrypoonani
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 318618

I'm way far on the north side (Houston is really big no?) but if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to Engine Logics (BW8 & 59 on the southside) they do good work and have a long history with subaru motors.
Angrypoonani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
dhernandez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
White

Yeah that's who tuned my WRX 2 years ago. Still running strong. I don't have a way of getting it there. Plus they are not cheap. I'd like to take it to Todd with TNA but I don't have a car Hauler.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #10
dhernandez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
White

I went to pick it up tonight and the battery was dead. I'll have to go back in the morning and get it. I live 15 min from the shop so it should make it.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #11
dhernandez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
White

Well I'm still looking for help when it comes to the timing portion. I've watched a few videos but still a nervous job for someone that's never done it before. I'll tear it all down and start putting it together. Hopefully by then someone can chime in locally.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
dhernandez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
White

Bump it up.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #13
backslider
Scooby Guru

Member#: 43196
Vehicle:
1999 STi Type R
93GF 95GC 02GD 01SF-T

Yeah, man i dont know anyone in that area that could help. Its pretty easy, just time consuming. You might as well live in another state being down there. (I live in Cypress) good luck, if you have to do it alone YouTube has a ton of tutorials. If you end up biting the bullet either Brad at Engine Logics or Kozmic Motorsports can do the needed repairs.
backslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #14
Magnum
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 105363
Vehicle:
00 RHD V2 Sti
01 Lightning

I haven't been doing as many side jobs because we actually have some nice shops in town now. I can however help you. I can do the work or guide you while you work with my tools and I have a beer. I'm in Pearland.
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #15
dhernandez
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
White

Thanks guys. I've started doing it in the garage. Kinda in a pickle.
Pm'd you magnum