Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #5201
JonnyD91
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 250084
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Central NJ
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Pure red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronmanDaremo View Post
48, 2017 WRX. Just finished a few more mods, so now full bolt-ons except for header and around 313whp/339wtq (virtual dyno). I'd like to do the header too, but it is a pain in the azz mod to do as far as work. And eventually I'll try to go built block with upgraded turbo.

Wife isn't into cars, but she knows they are one of my passions, so lets me play a little. I have RCE Yellows sitting in a box in the garage and just waiting for the time to put them on.

Time is difficult to find though because we have a baby ...... Yup. I've got 4 kids. 19, 16, 13, and ......... 6-months. First three were from my first wife who passed away in 2011. Got re-married in 2012, and we didn't think my current wife could conceive (according to a few different docs). Surprise, surprise! She got pregnant last year and delivered in October. And she's 44 now. (And I'm snipped so it won't happen again!)

So now I'm an old/new dad with a baby seat in the back of my modded WRX.
That sounds like one hell of an oops.
Just turned 40 and I am really up in the air about having another one.
<-- 4 and 7 year old.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JonnyD91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #5202
zxet
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316642
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

38 and in the process of rebuilding the motor sad days I miss my car
zxet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:46 AM   #5203
wontbslow
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 16986
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PDX/Beaverton, OR
Vehicle:
2015 STi
WRB

Default

41, and I own a 2015 STI. Bought it brand new and have been daily driving it for four years. Have 71k miles on it now and I STILL get people talking to me about my car every week. Usually a couple times a week. Most of my co-workers drive cars much more expensive than mine, but for some reason mine gets all the attention.

Sometimes I think about getting something quieter and easier on my knee (shifting in rush hour traffic gets old) but when I think about not having it, I come back to my senses. It was my dream car when I bought it and I still love it today.
wontbslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #5204
SPDE RA
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 497867
Join Date: Feb 2019
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STi type RA
WR Blue

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontbslow View Post
41, and I own a 2015 STI. Bought it brand new and have been daily driving it for four years. Have 71k miles on it now and I STILL get people talking to me about my car every week. Usually a couple times a week. Most of my co-workers drive cars much more expensive than mine, but for some reason mine gets all the attention.

Sometimes I think about getting something quieter and easier on my knee (shifting in rush hour traffic gets old) but when I think about not having it, I come back to my senses. It was my dream car when I bought it and I still love it today.
Couldn't agree with you more my Subie Brother!
SPDE RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #5205
anarekist
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468117
Join Date: May 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Southern Cali
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DMG

Default

yeah, i feel like the pedal geometry in our wrx/sti's is all wrong. i had to add a pedal extender for the clutch and its been much better, i cant wait to put on this verus gas pedal adjuster adapter that brings the gas pedal more even with the brakes.
anarekist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #5206
kabz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 351744
Join Date: Mar 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Northwest Houston
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
SRR

Default

51 and had a '13 WRX from new, traded on a '16 STI new, and just traded that for a new '19 Outback.

Currently swapping a JDM EJ205 into the '04 WRX Wagon that's been sitting in my garage for the last 5 years. I kinda knew I'd have to get rid of any running turbo car to get the motivation to get the '04 WRX done !

I still have the old engine, and it's ready to put together, but just too lazy. Sue me. STI rods, forged pistons etc.
kabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #5207
wrxjrk
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164093
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Cypress, TX
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

38, Bug eye 1 owner, Me. Good amount of bolt on’s under hood including front mount inter cooler, with GT spec header and full exhaust. 16G turbo.
wrxjrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #5208
STI_Sheddy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 500418
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Vehicle:
2017 WRX STi
WR Blue

Default

31, Stage 1 '17 STi.
STI_Sheddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #5209
gemortar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 388739
Join Date: Apr 2014
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: West LA
Vehicle:
14 STi
SWP

Default

32, Stage 1 '14 STi hatch.
gemortar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #5210
slowfa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 500449
Join Date: Apr 2019
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Blue

Default

42, stage 2. Came over from the DSM world
slowfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #5211
JimmysRC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501341
Join Date: May 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

I’m 32 and have a 2019 WRX premium. Not planning on doing much to it since the car is my daily. But I do want to take it to a track day this year since I’ve never done a road course.
JimmysRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #5212
Norm Peterson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498642
Join Date: Mar 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: our wrx IS the family sedan
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmysRC View Post
Iím 32 and have a 2019 WRX premium. Not planning on doing much to it since the car is my daily. But I do want to take it to a track day this year since Iíve never done a road course.
Understand that there's very little that you have to do to your almost brand-new car in order to get it out there on a road course. "Want to do" is something else entirely, but it's going to be best to start a track day habit out by driving the car that you know. As you get better as a driver, that's when you start making the car more capable. But HPDE is mainly about the driver, and a lightly-modified car is entirely sufficient to see your progression into run groups for more experienced drivers.

Upgrades in the beginning could be as minor as flushing the OE brake fluid with one of the better DOT 4 fluids (Motul RBF600, for one). Max'ing out front camber would be a good idea.

I don't have enough experience in my own WRX to say anything about the capability of the OE brake pads - though both my wife and I find their 'bite' under hard-ish braking to be somewhat lacking. So for anything past the first couple of cautiously driven days I think you should probably get brake pads that are rated for higher temperature fade resistance (perhaps G-loc's R8 or R10 pads).


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #5213
JimmysRC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501341
Join Date: May 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Understand that there's very little that you have to do to your almost brand-new car in order to get it out there on a road course. "Want to do" is something else entirely, but it's going to be best to start a track day habit out by driving the car that you know. As you get better as a driver, that's when you start making the car more capable. But HPDE is mainly about the driver, and a lightly-modified car is entirely sufficient to see your progression into run groups for more experienced drivers.

Upgrades in the beginning could be as minor as flushing the OE brake fluid with one of the better DOT 4 fluids (Motul RBF600, for one). Max'ing out front camber would be a good idea.

I don't have enough experience in my own WRX to say anything about the capability of the OE brake pads - though both my wife and I find their 'bite' under hard-ish braking to be somewhat lacking. So for anything past the first couple of cautiously driven days I think you should probably get brake pads that are rated for higher temperature fade resistance (perhaps G-loc's R8 or R10 pads).


Norm
Thanks Norm. My car has about 1400 miles on it only. Still getting used to it and the shift points right now. The grip seems really good going around corners in the little bit of spirited driving Iíve done so far. Thanks for the pointers on the brake pads. Blackhawk farms, in South Beloit, Illinois, has a track day once a month where beginners can go out with a pro riding shot gun to learn the ropes. So Ive been kicking around the idea of doing that. Just gotta convince the wife itís safe and I wonít kill myself or the car haha!
JimmysRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #5214
Norm Peterson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498642
Join Date: Mar 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: our wrx IS the family sedan
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmysRC View Post
Thanks Norm. My car has about 1400 miles on it only. Still getting used to it and the shift points right now. The grip seems really good going around corners in the little bit of spirited driving Iíve done so far. Thanks for the pointers on the brake pads. Blackhawk farms, in South Beloit, Illinois, has a track day once a month where beginners can go out with a pro riding shot gun to learn the ropes. So Ive been kicking around the idea of doing that. Just gotta convince the wife itís safe and I wonít kill myself or the car haha!
You won't be pressured to run any faster than what you're comfortable going, and you shouldn't put pressure on yourself via lap timing or shooting for personal-best speeds down the main straight. It should be more about the corners and braking than drag-racing down the straights.

Don't worry too much about shift points, and don't stare at the tach. Try to do that part by sound and "feel", and if anything try to make fewer shifts rather than more of them. Being less busy is a lot better than feeling too busy, and it's better to be a gear too high through a corner than screw up your line because you were too busy downshifting.

You may find using the entire track width enough different from what your years of street driving has been teaching you.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #5215
xtremsiege2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 232721
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2015 wrx premium
ICM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Understand that there's very little that you have to do to your almost brand-new car in order to get it out there on a road course. "Want to do" is something else entirely, but it's going to be best to start a track day habit out by driving the car that you know. As you get better as a driver, that's when you start making the car more capable. But HPDE is mainly about the driver, and a lightly-modified car is entirely sufficient to see your progression into run groups for more experienced drivers.

Upgrades in the beginning could be as minor as flushing the OE brake fluid with one of the better DOT 4 fluids (Motul RBF600, for one). Max'ing out front camber would be a good idea.

I don't have enough experience in my own WRX to say anything about the capability of the OE brake pads - though both my wife and I find their 'bite' under hard-ish braking to be somewhat lacking. So for anything past the first couple of cautiously driven days I think you should probably get brake pads that are rated for higher temperature fade resistance (perhaps G-loc's R8 or R10 pads).


Norm
Good points Norm! I feel like so many more people would track their cars if they didn't view caged STI's, 911, M3's etc tearing down the track thinking how am I supposed to fit into that mix? The answer is you aren't because they aren't in your group.

A track day will teach you so much about your vehicle and its capabilities that it will make you a better driver on the road. And when you find yourself testing the car's limits on the street you'll be more prepared.

For a standard track and learning day its not 'racing' so you'll be covered for insurance purposes.
xtremsiege2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #5216
JimmysRC
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501341
Join Date: May 2019
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark gray metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
You won't be pressured to run any faster than what you're comfortable going, and you shouldn't put pressure on yourself via lap timing or shooting for personal-best speeds down the main straight. It should be more about the corners and braking than drag-racing down the straights.

Don't worry too much about shift points, and don't stare at the tach. Try to do that part by sound and "feel", and if anything try to make fewer shifts rather than more of them. Being less busy is a lot better than feeling too busy, and it's better to be a gear too high through a corner than screw up your line because you were too busy downshifting.

You may find using the entire track width enough different from what your years of street driving has been teaching you.


Norm
My interest in road courses is more just to see if I like it at this point. So I donít feel pressured yet to do anything too crazy. Itís something new that I wanna try and is presumably saver than messing around on the streets. I appreciate the tips on shifting and gear selection, that isnít something I had thought of. As for competing with cars outside my class, I learned a long time ago to ignore them! Itís fine to appreciate what they can do, but I donít feel the need to compare my car to what someone else has. Did that back when I had my mustang and drove myself crazy trying to be faster than the next guy. Iím at a stage in life where I wanna have fun and enjoy my car.
JimmysRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #5217
MP08
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 498484
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default

37 just got a used 15 wrx
MP08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #5218
quiksilver_dragon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 246479
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wisconsin
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Default

32

2005 STi (extensive list) 470whp/415wtq

2019 STi Stock
quiksilver_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #5219
ghost321
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 499709
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default

31, 19 wrx stage 1
ghost321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #5220
switchbacks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 384543
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontbslow View Post
41, and I own a 2015 STI. Bought it brand new and have been daily driving it for four years. Have 71k miles on it now and I STILL get people talking to me about my car every week. Usually a couple times a week. Most of my co-workers drive cars much more expensive than mine, but for some reason mine gets all the attention.

Sometimes I think about getting something quieter and easier on my knee (shifting in rush hour traffic gets old) but when I think about not having it, I come back to my senses. It was my dream car when I bought it and I still love it today.
I've found myself in my dream car (18 sti) and hope to feel similar in 3 years from now. I Hope to daily this into my retirement.
switchbacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:03 AM   #5221
zoukieee
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501511
Join Date: May 2019
Default

40 years of age and a 2006 WRX STi
zoukieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #5222
Wagnerx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501548
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Perkasie, Pa
Vehicle:
2019 WRX base
Silver

Default I CAN drive Iím 55

55 YO

LOL My first ever WRX. Silver base 2019
Wagnerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #5223
lscardin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 500424
Join Date: Apr 2019
Default

41 and on my 2nd WRX. Current is an 08 that I bought almost 4 years ago. Previous was an 02 bought brand new. I'm afraid the age of my car is catching up with me though. Having to get numerous things fixed at this point.
lscardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #5224
Dreaden
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 500718
Join Date: Apr 2019
Default

37 years old
2017 WRX
Dreaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #5225
MidnightS2000
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471388
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Omaha/Council bluffs
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

Default

33 with 2017 WRX with a few mods...


MidnightS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many OTters are in IT? Dirty25RS Off-Topic 62 06-04-2010 08:18 PM
how many here are still in High School? vthokies422 General Community 268 10-09-2009 10:33 PM
I want to start taking nice pics w/ a 30 yr old camera... bobturismo Off-Topic 7 08-26-2004 02:48 PM
how many here are running a non-stock turbo? Benjamin Tang Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 2 05-23-2004 12:17 PM
How many here are previous DSM owners? joostin420 General Forum Archive 27 01-21-2001 12:24 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.