Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-13-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
jgaffney
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41061
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Yellow

Default Baja,hla Lifter Problem ?

Has anyone had problems with hyd. lifters on Baja 8k with mobile syn.? seems it clicks only in the morning after setting all night then only taps under load for about one mile or more then goes away until next overnight shut down i suspect an HLA,WHICH SUBARU CALLS THERE HYD. LIFTERS will take to dealer soon but not looking fwd to that!!! dont reallly went the song and dance but then again maybe if things dont good there is always calling Subaru and factory reps. thanks for any info Jim AND IT DID CLICK BEFORE I INSTALLED MOBIL 1
jgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4562
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Perfectly normal.
The sound you are hearing is piston slap. In 97 Subaru made the EJ25 more powerful and fuel efficient by utilizing a lighter piston. Until the engine warms up the pistons are not fully seated in the cylinder. think of them as egg shaped until they warm up,and round when heated.

Ben,
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 09:31 AM   #3
jgaffney
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Yellow

Ben,i did read that in the maint. manual but why did it wait until about 3k before it started ? and if it was piston slap wouldent it be louder ? should only one piston do it? other then that i sure like this Baja. and it really isnt something that would bother the average joe, and i still have about 25K to go under warrenty. took it on a trip and it is a joy to drive. anyhow thank you very much for your info. Jim Gaffney
Old 12-14-2003, 02:17 PM   #4
hatake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34811
Vehicle:
04 Baja T
Black

My 98 impreza does the same thing in cold morning. Hydraulic lifter is making that noise, I was told. That is only for SOHC, I was told. It always go away once engine is in the normal operating temperature. Interesting to see if it still does the same thing with my new Turbo... Alright, not yet mine, but I got my name of it.
hatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:34 PM   #5
jgaffney
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Yellow

does the turbo have mech. lifters???
Old 12-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
hatake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34811
Vehicle:
04 Baja T
Black

Uh, I don't know. Same as Forester XT... I thought they abandoned when Sub went back to DOHC with WRX and on, back to mechanical. But I can be totally misinformed.
hatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 04:13 PM   #7
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4562
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Quote:
Originally posted by jgaffney
Ben,i did read that in the maint. manual but why did it wait until about 3k before it started ? and if it was piston slap wouldent it be louder ? should only one piston do it? other then that i sure like this Baja. and it really isnt something that would bother the average joe, and i still have about 25K to go under warrenty. took it on a trip and it is a joy to drive. anyhow thank you very much for your info. Jim Gaffney
The cylinders were not fully worn in yet. Usually the noise starts from 0-15,000 miles. Alhtough if it is very loud and does not go away when warmed up it amy be a tensioner.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #8
jgaffney
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaslayer
The cylinders were not fully worn in yet. Usually the noise starts from 0-15,000 miles. Alhtough if it is very loud and does not go away when warmed up it amy be a tensioner.
O.K. Ben that sounds real good to me,Thanks again!
It does go away after you go into high press on the oil pump and over 4k rpm thats what makes me think of lifters ,but then again this is my first subaru so i got a few things to learn.