Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Kamen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49217
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
0210 Impreza WRX
Silver

Question Coolant leak - radiator failure?

It seems rather obvious to me, but I thought I'd ask. I noticed a small leak (no significant coolant loss) under the car and looking at the engine bay, there is mostly spray at the upper-front area. It's quite cold and I'd rather save myself a full diagnostic session, if these kinds of failures are common: it seems like the top of the radiator has developed a crack or something. You can't see it very well in the picture, but there is accumulation of coolant in the grooves where the top cap of the radiator is crimped. I don't see any leaks around the hoses (which I have replaced not too long ago, 2011, 26K miles ago), so I don't know what else it could be. The water pump is still the original, but I don't think there is any leak there, plus (if it's not leaking) it can wait until I'm doing the timing belt later on.
Any thoughts about what else this could be and how likely it is that it is the radiator? Also, considering the difference in prices, should I go for a) new genuine Subaru (~$330), b) new aftermarket (Mishimoto MMRAD-WRX-01, $250, or any of the cheaper OEM replacements, $60 to $120), or c) used Subaru (haven't checked with local Subie junk yard for pricing yet, but I'm sure they have them)?

Kamen

Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
WRXFanDave
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 151245
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
Silver

Could be a hose or a loose clamp, but plastic/metal radiator failure is a common experience. As for replacements, my original radiator popped while I was on a road trip out of town so I didn't have much of a choice at the time and got another Subaru one installed. I have an all-aluminum radiator to install someday. I would buy something soon if you think it's starting to leak (like real soon). If you go with a junk yard piece, I would assume you'll need to do it again before too long. I don't have any recommendations on specific brands or models, but I'm sure there is info on the site (probably in one of the faqs).
WRXFanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

More likely than not, it's the radiator.

OEM, Koyo aftermarket OEM style (aluminum core, plastic top and bottom tanks), Koyo aftermarket full aluminum (not racing 3-core), Mishimoto aftermarket.

The fit and finish of Koyo OEM and full-aluminum are great. I had experience with an older version of Mishimoto and the fit-and finish was okay.

Regardless, each of the above should suit you well.

Do not buy a used radiator unless it has been flow and pressure tested.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Pretty common for the plastic/aluminum radiators to leak like that with time and miles. Could be a crack in the plastic tank, could be the seal between the 2 parts starting to fail. For most stock cars, I get a decent grade replacement off of RockAuto.

BTW, Kamen, did you also post on the old COBB forum? I think the signature was something like "half a million miles worth of Subarus"?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
Kamen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49217
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
0210 Impreza WRX
Silver

Cool So far - so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Pretty common for the plastic/aluminum radiators to leak like that with time and miles. Could be a crack in the plastic tank, could be the seal between the 2 parts starting to fail. For most stock cars, I get a decent grade replacement off of RockAuto.

BTW, Kamen, did you also post on the old COBB forum? I think the signature was something like "half a million miles worth of Subarus"?
Hey, Charlie - my man! Good to hear from you! Yes, we met in person when you were in Colorado a few years ago. Definitely ring me up, if you're ever here again! You have my email address, right? Always good to talk to you! And - funny thing - I'm still sporting about half-a-million miles worth of Subies! (but they don't allow signatures here) Only replaced one of them (the old Legacy with an Outback XT).

About the radiator, I ended up getting a Mishimoto knock-off from Amazon. Just installed it. There was a coupon, so I ended up paying $91, shipped. It is for 2002-2007 models, but 2002-03 don't have the cap on the radiator (it's near the turbo). I don't know that this is an exact replica of the Mishimoto, so I can't be sure that the pressure threshold is higher on its cap, or if it would have worked if I left its overflow line disconnected, at all, so I ended up creating a splitter, as you can see on the picture. No leaks so far, and as it's cooling down, it's been properly sucking the coolant from the overflow tank. We'll see how it goes after a few driving cycles, and in the long run.

Kamen

Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:46 PM   #6
reliantkcar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495810

You can buy or borrow a kit that connects a hand pump to a rad cap adapter and pressurize the cooling system to look for leaks...
reliantkcar is offline   Reply With Quote