Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-20-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
DGMSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435906
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
DGM

Default Is it the Axle shaft TSB or my clutch?

Info: 2015 STI, stage 2+, pro tuned, 45,000 miles/67,000 kms, original clutch

About a month ago after a launch my clutch slipped in 2nd. Ever since, my car is fine in 1st and 2nd but, in 3rd or higher my RPM spikes if I accelerate hard (once I hit like 13psi). It only happens when I am in sport or sport # and not at all in Intelligent mode. Car was very much driveable in intelligent mode for the past month, no slipping. I tried the usual to see if the clutch is worn, like stop the car and try to go in 3rd, worked fine, weird but maybe its just worn at higher RPMs I thought. So I bought a new oem clutch, got the flywheel, im sitting here about to install it when I read a paper that comes with the clutch about the retaining clip on the inner end of rear axle shaft which can come off and make the car slip under hard acceleration but drive fine under normal acceleration. Apparently its a TSB.

So I put the car on 4 jackstands, start it and put it in 1st gear and all 4 wheels spin. I turn it off and I go under the car and spin the rear driver wheel and the passenger wheel spins too. But when I spin the rear passenger wheel the driver side wheel barely spins. What do u guys think? Is there another way to check for this issue? I dont really know which clip is the retaining clip Im looking for beside the rear diff.
DGMSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

The clip/ring is on the axle stubshaft that goes into the diff. With the car up in the air, grab the big part of the axle next to the diff., try to pull it out by hand. It should NOT come out.
If it does, reseat the axle into the diff. and try again.
If it doesn't, replace clutch.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
DGMSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435906
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
The clip/ring is on the axle stubshaft that goes into the diff. With the car up in the air, grab the big part of the axle next to the diff., try to pull it out by hand. It should NOT come out.
If it does, reseat the axle into the diff. and try again.
If it doesn't, replace clutch.
This is what I was looking for! Hard to tell if its broken if it isnt! the axle did not come loose.

Ill check in if the problem doesnt go away after I replace the clutch
DGMSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:32 AM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Sounds good.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote