Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-21-2018, 12:52 AM   #1
CapWow12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487400
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default Dangerously Low Oil

Just the other day as I was driving home in my 05 Impreza obs and on the last few turns the oil pressure light would come on but wouldn’t stay on. Anyways so freaked after that and once I got home I stopped driving the car. So the next day I change the oil in my drive way and it ended up only draining a little above a quart of oil. Feeling really dumb for not checking the oil at all. It was 2800 miles ago when the oil was changed at Valvoline which was actually before I owned the car. After filling back up with oil no different noises. Should be I fine or is the engine going to be toast soon?
CapWow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT
20 OB Onyx XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapWow12 View Post
Just the other day as I was driving home in my 05 Impreza obs and on the last few turns the oil pressure light would come on but wouldn’t stay on. Anyways so freaked after that and once I got home I stopped driving the car. So the next day I change the oil in my drive way and it ended up only draining a little above a quart of oil. Feeling really dumb for not checking the oil at all. It was 2800 miles ago when the oil was changed at Valvoline which was actually before I owned the car. After filling back up with oil no different noises. Should be I fine or is the engine going to be toast soon?

Whether or not the engine is toast is one thing, but you need to figure out why you lost so much oil. 4 quarts in under 3k miles?? Any leaks or smoking? Any oil on the ground anywhere?

You can do a used oil analysis, but a uoa may not show any problems since it only shows wear of 5 microns or less.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

You are not going to be able to tell anything right now as to whether or not you have suffered any motor damage.

Best thing to do is make sure you are using a quality brand oil in the correct weight with the correct amount.

As far as why the oil level was so low in under 3K miles, multiple possibilities:
1. Previous oil change didn't install enough oil
2. Previous oil change didn't use the correct weight oil
3. You may have an oil leak
4. You are burning oil

For #1 & #2 - You can't do anything about it now
For #3 & #4
- Use proper amount & weight of oil and check weekly to track usage
- Search for oil leaks above, below and alongside motor
- Keep an eye on the color & smell of your exhaust
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
CapWow12
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
PSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
You are not going to be able to tell anything right now as to whether or not you have suffered any motor damage.

Best thing to do is make sure you are using a quality brand oil in the correct weight with the correct amount.

As far as why the oil level was so low in under 3K miles, multiple possibilities:

1. Previous oil change didn't install enough oil

2. Previous oil change didn't use the correct weight oil

3. You may have an oil leak

4. You are burning oil

For #1 & #2 - You can't do anything about it now

For #3 & #4

- Use proper amount & weight of oil and check weekly to track usage

- Search for oil leaks above, below and alongside motor

- Keep an eye on the color & smell of your exhaust

Never noticed any sort of leaks around the engine bay nor on my driveway so must be burning oil. Really hoping it was just maybe the wrong oil before. Anyways checking it after driving every time now just trying to see if anything changes so far so good after a few drives hopefully won’t burn too much in the coming weeks. Also now have a little bit of oil ready to pour in Incase oil level drops.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
CapWow12
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
PSM

Just a quick update the other day while on the high way the car threw a cel P0420 and after wards I checked the car and it was down a half quart. Anyways so I get home and I pour in some engine restore. Also after some research heard it may be the pcv valve due to the fact I burnt the oil on the high way so I replaced the valve the next day. Will have to drive some more to see if there is any change.