Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 24, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
skybluesube
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482372
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX Wago
Silver

Default 2002 WRX rev hesitation

I've got myself a 2002 Subaru WRX wagon. I've owned it for 7 months, put 10k miles on it and have had no issues aside from this. When the car idles, if you blip the throttle the rev noise sounds weird, king of like a 2 stage process instead of revving normally. Like the rev is skipping quick at first. I'm not good at explaining it so I'll link a video of it when I get the time. If anybody has any idea what this could be I'd be glad to hear it.

The only mods are an Emusa turbo inlet which was a mod of a previous owner and I've got no clue what it does and aftermarket up/downpipe headers.
skybluesube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
snow_bound26
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 395793
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 92x Aero
Blue

Silicone inlet or hard inlet? Doesn't make too much of a difference, just curious as I haven't heard of the brand.

So it has a catless up pipe, a down pipe, and aftermarket headers? Or are you calling the up pipe and down pipe headers? Headers are a completely different part of the exhaust from the up and down pipes.

Is it tuned? If so, what engine management? I.E. Cobb, Opensource, EcuTek

If you don't know then you need to find out. Down pipe and headers would need a tune. Also, did the PO do more to it and then bring it mostly back to stock?

Not really sure what king (kind?) of like a stage 2 process sounds like. My 205 is stage 2+ right now and I have a random hesitation that's most likely related to coil packs (will find out later today), but it doesn't sound different being a stage 2.

Hesitation can be caused by plugs, air filter, boost/Vac leaks, bad gas, bad tune, coil packs, MAF sensor, intake leak, etc. Do you feel any hesitation while driving? If so, what RPMs? Does your gas mileage fluctuate or is it consistent from tank to tank? Are you using highest octane in your area or lowest? I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but these are a good start to begin narrowing down what the cause is. And get as much of the vehicle history as you can.
snow_bound26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
awcforever
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382066
Vehicle:
96 Subaru
Green

Kind of going along with what snow said, my car was doing the same thing when I bought it. Almost like the throttle dipped before revving. Lots of times itís tune related. With the mods you listed Iím sure youíd need a tune to change MAF scaling and injector scaling for the headers and up pipe, more airflow in either direction could use some tuning. Are there any CELís? There may not be a light all the time so a scan would help. Again as Snow said above history is everything on these cars when buying modded and used. I found out the hard way unfortunately.....a combination of bad tuning from the previous owner, running the wrong oil, and a 324HP dyno pull led me to a spun rod bearing. Youíll get it, just be patient with it and donít be afraid to research until you pass out, LOL. Itís worth it!
awcforever is offline   Reply With Quote