Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #501
livewoutlimit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487919
Join Date: Jul 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzagnr View Post
go ahead and do this procedure.
car feels like a different car, let's see how long this is gonna last, i had 3 racks and 1 intermediate shaft replaced in 10k miles.
if this rack is knock free more than 3k miles, it would be a good augury haha
I'm planning on doing this procedure once I finish moving. If anyone is interested in doing this, refer to post #268 on this thread. Whiplash Willy has an extensive post on this & service manual. I'm hoping I can get to the nut w/out having to drop the EPS.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
livewoutlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #502
blackseafleet
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463024
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: los angeles
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DGM

Default

Just to rule out more items anecdotally on your list: I've replaced pitch stop, engine mounts, brake pads, no change in my 2017 clunk. that said, 41,000 miles on the car and the clunk has stayed consistent, never getting worse at all. It doesn't bother me much and I regularly drive on very twisty roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adafoo View Post
Suspects I have not touched:
- Brake calipers or pads
- CV axels
- Suspension/control arm bushings
- Engine mounts
- Pitch stop mount
blackseafleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #503
livewoutlimit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487919
Join Date: Jul 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewoutlimit View Post
I'm planning on doing this procedure once I finish moving. If anyone is interested in doing this, refer to post #268 on this thread. Whiplash Willy has an extensive post on this & service manual. I'm hoping I can get to the nut w/out having to drop the EPS.
It looks like you have to drop the rack to do this procedure (adjusting steering lash essentially). I'll be bringing the car back to the dealer soon enough as noise is getting more pronounced with the temps dropping.

Whether this will fix the clunk or not, I think the car needs this procedure done. My WRX tracks all over the place when there's an uneven camber, or crowning on the road. The steering wheel, if I'm not holding it firmly, will literally spin itself at some roads with very uneven surface.
livewoutlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #504
Btec
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494590
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewoutlimit View Post
It looks like you have to drop the rack to do this procedure (adjusting steering lash essentially). I'll be bringing the car back to the dealer soon enough as noise is getting more pronounced with the temps dropping.

Whether this will fix the clunk or not, I think the car needs this procedure done. My WRX tracks all over the place when there's an uneven camber, or crowning on the road. The steering wheel, if I'm not holding it firmly, will literally spin itself at some roads with very uneven surface.
Yes, my 2018 does the exact same thing. Do you think the dealership will help fix/adjust the steering lash? I have my rack replaced a few months ago and it was good for a solid few weeks before the issue/sound came back...
Btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #505
livewoutlimit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487919
Join Date: Jul 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btec View Post
Yes, my 2018 does the exact same thing. Do you think the dealership will help fix/adjust the steering lash? I have my rack replaced a few months ago and it was good for a solid few weeks before the issue/sound came back...
Not sure. I'll need to work on wording my issue so that it points to getting the steering adjusted. I'm planning on going to the dealer once temps drop further. Ugh, I do hate morning commute right now as temps are in the low 60's & clunk/thunk is getting more & more pronounced.

Or, I might just try dropping the rack & going thru the recommended procedure myself. Probably will take me the entire weekend.
livewoutlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #506
Btec
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494590
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

I recall a member in this thread that mentioned that the 2020 models will have this issue fixed or something along those lines. Can anyone confirm or have any inside knowledge of this to share?
Btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #507
livewoutlimit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 487919
Join Date: Jul 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btec View Post
I recall a member in this thread that mentioned that the 2020 models will have this issue fixed or something along those lines. Can anyone confirm or have any inside knowledge of this to share?
I recall reading that too somewhere, but who knows how reliable the source was... I'm waiting to see the 2020 parts list, hoping to see new part # for the rack or other suspect components. I'm getting close to bringing the car back to the dealer. I'm also getting close to either filing for lemon law or trading the car in.
livewoutlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #508
Btec
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494590
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewoutlimit View Post
I recall reading that too somewhere, but who knows how reliable the source was... I'm waiting to see the 2020 parts list, hoping to see new part # for the rack or other suspect components. I'm getting close to bringing the car back to the dealer. I'm also getting close to either filing for lemon law or trading the car in.
That is a great point about seeing the 2020 parts list. Do you know when this will be coming out? Thanks
Btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.