Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #551
ayau
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332408
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Tuning/modding the S209 would be a such a waste. Only 200 units made. This is obviously more of a collector's car more than anything. Keep it stock.

If you're going to tune it, just get a base 2019 STI instead and mod to your heart's content. If you blow an S209 motor, say goodbye to 40k lol.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #552
bemani
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5673
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Folsom, CA
Vehicle:
05 LGT, 02 bug eye
16 Hellcat, 19 CTR

Default

Still interested at 60k, I wonder how they're allocating the cars ...
bemani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #553
redpanda87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274092
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Nomadic/NYC/BX/NEW ROC
Vehicle:
2011 wrx rip,2013WRX
Blanco

Default

Waiting on s209 block part numbers... would be nice to have an OEM forged bottom end with OEM longevity. Do think di and dct is the future though. However, I do love the analog driving feel of my 17 sti!
redpanda87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #554
Robo Squirrel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 235276
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
Pure Red

Default

[quote=dabocx;45903867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by btkwong1 View Post




These two pieces look too AutoZone tacky for me.
exactly my thoughts
Robo Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #555
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
2020 STI on radar.

Seriously, if those performance figures are correct and the S209 is that big of a leap over the RA around a big track, ugliness aside, well done Subaru. I’m still in for dyno numbers on pump 91.
Yeah, waiting for 91 dyno as well.
But, I think the larger turbo, the increased fueling capacity and the forged pistons will help with reliability on 91 regardless of the factory tune.
I don't know whether or not Subaru engineers would have been able to low mount that HKS turbo; that would have been the ultimate factory turbo EJ25.
But, IMO, it's certainly the sturdiest factory EJ257 short block we've ever had.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #556
ayau
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332408
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Interesting it comes with Motul 5W-40 Performance Oil. Even Subaru thinks the resource conserving 5W30 sold in the states is inadequate.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #557
ben_7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464522
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2018 Subaru WRX STi

Default

How much would it approximately cost to purchase that particular HKS turbo and the forged pistons and forged rods with labor to install/upgrade the current STi block?

Last edited by ben_7; 01-14-2019 at 05:04 PM.
ben_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #558
NZrex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340330
Join Date: Dec 2012
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Default

Impressive upgrades but so they should be considering the likely price. Tacked on fenders on top of existing fenders make it look worse than a type r tho? Why not enlarge the existing fenders? Give it a true wide body factory look like the great 22b. Instead it looks aftermarket (rocker bunny?).

Main problem is that you'll pay 60k plus and still get the same cabin as the now obsolete previous gen Impreza which went on sale in 2011... it's now 2019....

*mic drop
NZrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #559
dcsti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 77809
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda87 View Post
Waiting on s209 block part numbers... would be nice to have an OEM forged bottom end with OEM longevity. Do think di and dct is the future though. However, I do love the analog driving feel of my 17 sti!
Subaru is going to sell 200 sets of these pistons and rods in the actual s209 and about 10000 sets over the part counter aftermarket if the price isn't crazy. Would be a nice gift to all the people that blew up their EJs over the last 15 years..
dcsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #560
redpanda87
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 274092
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Nomadic/NYC/BX/NEW ROC
Vehicle:
2011 wrx rip,2013WRX
Blanco

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsti View Post
Subaru is going to sell 200 sets of these pistons and rods in the actual s209 and about 10000 sets over the part counter aftermarket if the price isn't crazy. Would be a nice gift to all the people that blew up their EJs over the last 15 years..
Amen brother! Ha
redpanda87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #561
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_7 View Post
How much would it approximately cost to purchase that particular HKS turbo and the forged pistons with labor to install/upgrade the current STi block?
You're better off buying the entire S209 factory short block with its forged pistons precisely fitted, at the factory, to the bore of the short block.

Otherwise, it's best to get 99.75mm aftermarket 4032 alloy pistons and get them precisely machined and fitted into a short block by a reputable engine builder.
That's what I'd do if it were my money.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #562
ben_7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464522
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2018 Subaru WRX STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg_matnik View Post
You're better off buying the entire S209 factory short block with its forged pistons precisely fitted, at the factory, to the bore of the short block.

Otherwise, it's best to get 99.75mm aftermarket 4032 alloy pistons and get them precisely machined and fitted into a short block by a reputable engine builder.
That's what I'd do if it were my money.
That makes sense, approximately how much do you think an S209 short block costs in comparison to how much it would cost to get aftermarket pistons/rods to strengthen the standard STi block?
ben_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #563
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Indiana
Vehicle:
2019 WRX/STI DGM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

By a base 2019 STI. Build the engine internals, bigger turbo, injectors, fuel rails, fuel pump, dp and cbe, upgraded clutch.

Protune it and call it a day and you'll still be below what the S209 will cost.

Not really liking the tacked on wide body. They couldn't figure out a more pleasing vent design?

Same damn seats as my 2019? Really?
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #564
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Here's something to consider, I had reached out to Japan Parts to inquire on whether it was possible to order something from the S208 and I was promptly advised that Subaru doesn't actually sell the parts - STi does and they don't sell them to the public. So one couldn't exactly go into a Subaru dealer and buy the parts, because they don't sell them.

This is also why I learned that it's very hard, if not impossible to buy "S" parts or even Type RA-R parts (of which I can't find any - mirror caps for example).

So all these people thinking they're going to be able to go into their local Subaru dealer and just buy the block / pistons / rods / etc., might find themselves disappointed. It may prove to be that this has changed with the US spec'd S209, but do you honestly expect them to stock blocks for a car that's 200 units - really?

This reminds me of BMW and the E46 M3 CSL - you can only buy parts with your VIN number.

Last edited by SatinWhitePearl; 01-14-2019 at 05:49 PM.
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #565
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
By a base 2019 STI. Build the engine internals, bigger turbo, injectors, fuel rails, fuel pump, dp and cbe, upgraded clutch.

Protune it and call it a day and you'll still be below what the S209 will cost.

Not really liking the tacked on wide body. They couldn't figure out a more pleasing vent design?

Same damn seats as my 2019? Really?
I feel like the vent sticks out like a sore thumb, it's the only thing about the car I don't like. Don't get me wrong, I want an S209, but the vent - the vent!

The interior does leave quite a bit to be desired, looks quite similar to my RA's.

As far as the fenders, from what was said earlier, I believe they're pressed - so not tacked on - at least they didn't go full Liberty Walk lol.
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #566
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Indiana
Vehicle:
2019 WRX/STI DGM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinWhitePearl View Post
Here's something to consider, I had reached out to Japan Parts to inquire on whether it was possible to order something from the S208 and I was promptly advised that Subaru doesn't actually sell the parts - STi does and they don't sell them to the public. So one couldn't exactly go into a Subaru dealer and buy the parts, because they don't sell them.

This is also why I learned that it's very hard, if not impossible to buy "S" parts are Type RA-R parts (of which I can't find any - mirror caps for example).

So all these people thinking they're going to be able to go into their local Subaru dealer and just buy the block / pistons / rods / etc., might find themselves disappointed. It may prove to be that this has changed with the US spec'd S209, but do you honestly expect them to stock blocks for a car that's 200 units - really?

This reminds me of BMW and the E46 M3 CSL - you can only buy parts with your VIN number.
Isn't the Dodge Demon/Red Eye this way as well? Gotta prove by vin that you own the car to be able to buy parts
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #567
bemani
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5673
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Folsom, CA
Vehicle:
05 LGT, 02 bug eye
16 Hellcat, 19 CTR

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Isn't the Dodge Demon/Red Eye this way as well? Gotta prove by vin that you own the car to be able to buy parts
Just the Demon. You just need to pay an added premium for a middle man. There are people who sell Demon parts because they can order however many from dealers since they have a VIN.
bemani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #568
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Isn't the Dodge Demon/Red Eye this way as well? Gotta prove by vin that you own the car to be able to buy parts
I'm not sure, as I'm not familiar with those cars (to that extent), but I don't think it'll be as simple of a task as some here seem to think it'll be.

Of course I could be wrong and I wouldn't be mad if I was, but we need to think logically. Subaru knows the allure of the S209, rarity aside, is in the motor and they're not going to endanger the value of the "S" models by making their components widely available.

It'd turn into: "Oh cool a carbon fiber roof, but I just want the block", do you guys think Subaru doesn't know that?
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #569
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemani View Post
Just the Demon. You just need to pay an added premium for a middle man. There are people who sell Demon parts because they can order however many from dealers since they have a VIN.
People did this with the CSL too, until BMW caught wind of it and killed that game.

The premium you speak of is never cheap either, everyone's looking to come up.
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #570
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon SGM
2003 SV1000S, 2014 DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_7 View Post
That makes sense, approximately how much do you think an S209 short block costs in comparison to how much it would cost to get aftermarket pistons/rods to strengthen the standard STi block?
We're going to have to wait and see on this one; but I have the feeling getting an aftermarket short block from a builder will be cheaper.
However, there's a higher rate of failure for "built" aftermarket short blocks; factory short blocks usually do better.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #571
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: who the hell makes those
Vehicle:
.... missiles - when
they know wat they can do

Default

I guess we will see what 2020MY brings. This engine and fail items like turbo may only be available through VIN ordering. One reason I suspect this is HKS is a special vendor and forged bits will require tighter tolerances if failure were to occur. They may only offer it as a replacement longblock.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #572
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
The more I read about this the better it gets....

At 341 horsepower with FORGED PISTONS and a larger HKS turbo charger, larger injectors, they probably left some horsepower and torque off the Table and this thing is slightly detuned from what it can put out power wise. It probably will approach 400 horsepower with some tuning and especially with a 3" downpipe.


I think this is going to be the 2020 STI's base engine as well. Again there is a HUGE advantage to them continuing on with the EJ as they are doing, because now this turbo, the new pistons, the rods, the injectors etc etc, can be ordered and used on the earlier EJ's!!! I think any advantages the very few other cars in this category, 4 door turbo 4 all wheel drive sedan, are completely erased by the S209's upgrades. This car is just frickin AWESOME......of course the price will be high...I mean the engine upgrades alone are going to add several thousand to the price over the base STI's and then probably 5 G's more for the body parts etc etc....I'd say it will be in the 50-55G's range but under 60. Which is still quite reasonable given the potential of this thing right out the showroom floor. I think just an E85 tune alone will put this engine over 400 horsepower??? Agreed?

This!
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #573
ben_7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 464522
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2018 Subaru WRX STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
I guess we will see what 2020MY brings. This engine and fail items like turbo may only be available through VIN ordering. One reason I suspect this is HKS is a special vendor and forged bits will require tighter tolerances if failure were to occur. They may only offer it as a replacement longblock.
However since HKS is a third party vendor, I wonder if we can buy the turbo they use in the s209 directly from them?

Also while forged internals are nice, shouldn't the standard STi (2015-2018) block be pretty strong to handle 400hp at the crank with upgraded bolt ons?

Isn't it only once you start hitting the high hp range (450+ crank hp) that the pistons/rods start malfunctioning?
ben_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #574
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_7 View Post
However since HKS is a third party vendor, I wonder if we can buy the turbo they use in the s209 directly from them?

Also while forged internals are nice, shouldn't the standard STi (2015-2018) block be pretty strong to handle 400hp at the crank with upgraded bolt ons?

Isn't it only once you start hitting the high hp range (450+ crank hp) that the pistons/rods start malfunctioning?
The Ej's pistons are sensitive to detonation, especially in CA with our poor excuse for gas.
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #575
ayau
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332408
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Tuning for more power out of an S209 doesn't make sense. You could blow through a bunch of WRX FA20DIT motors on flex tune making 350/350 and still be well below the price of the S209 lol.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.