Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-31-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431618
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Default 255/35-19 on 2018+ stock STi wheel Issues?

Is anyone running a 255/35-19 on the stock 2018+ 19" STi wheel? If so, any issues. Please post a pic, thanks!
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Norm Peterson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

You might notice that steering response with the 255's is a little 'softer' than with the 245's - assuming that you get the 255's in the same tire mfr and model as the 245's. Ultimate grip may or may not improve, not that you're likely to be able to appreciate the difference in any street driving.

Keep in mind that because a 255/35 tire is measured on a 9" wide wheel that it will only appear to be about 250mm wide when mounted on an 8.5" wide rim. A 245/35 is measured on 8.5", so it looks 245 wide on 8.5". The 255/35's tread with will remain about the same, but that's a harder thing to see . . . let alone compare against the tread width of a 245/35 tire.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:40 AM   #3
CoronaWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431618
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2019 STI
CWP

Thanks for the info Norm! Would the sidewalls of a 255 on an 8.5" be taller than a 245 on a 8.5? What I'm really after is a bit more sidewall to help with the horrible roads vs width for performance, but I don't want to deviate too far away from the original tire diameter. Maybe 245/40-19s is a better option? I'll probably have to drop to 18"s and run a taller sidewall.
CoronaWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronaWRX View Post
Thanks for the info Norm! Would the sidewalls of a 255 on an 8.5" be taller than a 245 on a 8.5?
Yes, by about 1/8" (3mm).

As a percentage of "visible" sidewall height, that's about 2.81" vs 2.68" or 5%. Visible sidewall height being taken from the rim flange OD rather than from the bead seat which is what the profile height is referenced to. Flange heights for car wheels are typically about 0.70".

On 245/40-19's, I haven't taken any measurements to see if 1" more on the tire OD is likely to cause anything outside of a minor speedometer/odometer error (60 mph indicated really being a little over 62 mph actual).

For all practical purposes, a 245/40-18 is the same OD as a 245/35-19, and you'd be gaining almost a half inch of visible sidewall height (3.16", 18% more).

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote