Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 16, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Default More compact steering pump or electric conversion??

Obviously there are a lot of builds nowadays deciding to go rotated, which avoids the hassle of a tight fitting inlet near the steering pump. I'm actually in the process of a build and while I have a 06-07 impreza pump and it will fit (tightly), I'd rather the inlet not have any distortion.

I've read a thread here discussing the electric power steering and modifying it, but don't see anything coming of it. The subaru electric racks are too bulky to install under the 93-07 cars obviously, but until there is something compact enough, maybe we could find an alternate steering pump that fits better, even if an adapter bracket has to be made. There are plenty of companies making custom cnc parts for our cars now, Aluminati for example.

Does anyone else wish we could have an alternative to the power steering pump we have, maybe even an electric conversion? There is a company that makes a "universal" electric rack setup, but not sure how universal it is. https://epasperformance.com/
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Why couldn't we incorporate a pump like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Acti...t/123446954548 and install a torque sensor into the steering column? An electric pump could be mounted anywhere the hydraulic hose and electric connection allows. A brushless controller could surely drive this pump, it doesn't require a lot of current. This could be steering assist, even if not as easy as the oem pump, and we could eliminate the oem steering pump.

I don't have the resources to research all of this, just throwing it out there because I've seen people here with the capability, posting about related subjects. The tech is there in my opinion, just up to someone to utilize it.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:03 AM   #3
binny
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 198108
Vehicle:
MY98 WRX
Blue

There's a mob that do the electric column for Subaru in Australia not sure of the name
binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

I've seen some people using nissan and toyota small car columns, but they do a good bit of modding and the motors are huge. There isn't much room under our dashes, at least 93-07. Also saw a few people using oem electric pumps connected to the rack, but they kept the pumps wide open, didn't modulate voltage at all. That will overheat the fluid and cause quick pump failure...not to mention the major current draw. I could see using an electric pump, but would need to find a way to modulate speed with load, and that would likely require a sensor installed in the column. Otherwise we could use a speed controller that is road speed based and lower current / speed of the pump to a minimum at higher speeds. This way you could have maximum assist at stops and slow speeds.

I know there is someone here who could easily design the circuit, I would try but have no work space for all of the testing. There are people here designing methanol sensor kits for crying out loud, and they require more complex circuits.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
Barge
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 62941
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 #LesboRacer
#TunedbyBarge

I'm using a Volvo electric power steering pump. They're like $130-150 bucks last I checked on ebay and you can get them with an integrated reservoir. I mounted mine where the battery usually mounts and recessed it through the fenderwell.

I'm just running it in emergency/default mode. I'm running a '15 STI rack and the assist is much less than stock but no issues steering at low speeds with a smaller wheel.

It does have a canbus connection but I haven't found anything about how it's used. Since i like the way it feels i'm not to concerned about figuring it out.

There are some pics on my instagram BRGPerformance.
Barge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

I'd watched a video of a guy who used one on his car and he said it drew a lot of current, not sure if that was continuous or he didn't really understand how to measure it. What size wiring did you end up using, and is it noisy? Volvo has several different styles depending on reservoir location. Nissan also uses them but they are horizontal. The old toyota ones are vertical and weigh about 15lbs. Going to measure some of the ones in the used nissans at work to see what would be the best fitting option. I believe on any of them you can direct wire the motor terminals and not use the safety, pressure, and speed wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge View Post
I'm using a Volvo electric power steering pump. They're like $130-150 bucks last I checked on ebay and you can get them with an integrated reservoir. I mounted mine where the battery usually mounts and recessed it through the fenderwell.

I'm just running it in emergency/default mode. I'm running a '15 STI rack and the assist is much less than stock but no issues steering at low speeds with a smaller wheel.

It does have a canbus connection but I haven't found anything about how it's used. Since i like the way it feels i'm not to concerned about figuring it out.

There are some pics on my instagram BRGPerformance.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #7
Barge
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 62941
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 #LesboRacer
#TunedbyBarge

I haven't measured the current. I used the stock size wires that came with the cut connector because I was really close to my 12v post. It's probably 6-8awg wire.

It is fused for I think 70a.

All the testing i've seen done shows it pulling like 6a at a standstill and loading up to 20-30 under higher loads. They say it won't pull anywhere near 70 unless you've got it jammed locked to one side.

I think it's super quiet. If you have a whisper quiet engine and exhaust then maybe you'd notice it. I did use the stock rubber isolating bracket to mount it so I'm sure that helps.
Barge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #8
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

I saw the one pic, and you can see a little of the top of your pump. My build definitely won't be clean like yours, lol. I'm considering moving my battery, but already will have the surge tank, capacitor, and wiring gadgetry back there. Was trying to keep trunk "junk" to a minimum and at least have some room for cargo. There's not much room in an impreza in the battery area anyway, so the vertical style may not be a great idea. There are a few options though, will figure something out to keep the turbo inlet free and clear.