Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #126
LostInPhilly89
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 267951
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout809 View Post
Hey man, enjoying your build thread. Glad to see a fellow GR WRB hatch still around. I had a question regarding the installation of your diode dynamics low beam bulbs. How did you deal with the rear covers on the back of the headlight housing as well as the mounting of the ballasts? Did you have to modify the rear covers or just forego them altogether? Also how do you like the light output of the bulbs? Iím looking into purchasing a set of led bulbs for my car as well. Thanks!
Hey shutout,
Thanks! The GR chassis is becoming surprisingly rare considering how recent it is.

The covers for the low beams do clear the DD bulbs, even with the built-in fans. There's a bit of an air pocket around where the bulb actually gets inserted and the headlight housing itself. The lights came with enough wire that I was able to slide the ballasts underneath where the bulbs are mounted, plug them in, and still fit the covers over everything. I'll see if I can get a decent picture of how it looks later.

For LEDs in a halogen housing, they are fantastic! I was recently down at the Tail of the Dragon, so it was my first chance to try them out at night without any light pollution getting in the way. I almost didn't need my high beams during our night runs. I love them so much I actually just bought their 9005 high beam bulbs as well.
LostInPhilly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #127
LostInPhilly89
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalessio View Post
With replacing the steering rack, what all do you need to do, or does it straight swap in?
Hey Dalessio,
I paid a mechanic friend of mine to install it for me, but he said the 15+ steering rack was physically identical to the 11-14 steering rack that came out of the car, so it was plug-and-play. Some people who do this swap do have issues with the stability control under certain cornering conditions, but mine has been perfectly fine. As long as the steering wheel is held centered during the swap and the rack gears are centered prior to installation, the splines should all line back up so as not to damage the clock spring in the wheel or any miscellaneous sensors. If I remember correctly, my friend said the splines could shift by up to 5 in either direction without damaging anything.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #128
LostInPhilly89
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
WRB

May 8, 2019

Alright, Roxanne's first "blood test" came back from Blackstone Laboratories. For the most part, engine wear actually seems to be below average, which is awesome. Silver was a little higher than average which could indicate bearing wear. However, I did go down to the Tail of the Dragon with the oil that was sampled so there was some hard driving on it. Also, Blackstone noted that it's not an excessive amount above average. Overall, everything seems to be in pretty good shape under the hood!

Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #129
Dalessio
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 358693
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInPhilly89 View Post
Hey Dalessio,
I paid a mechanic friend of mine to install it for me, but he said the 15+ steering rack was physically identical to the 11-14 steering rack that came out of the car, so it was plug-and-play. Some people who do this swap do have issues with the stability control under certain cornering conditions, but mine has been perfectly fine. As long as the steering wheel is held centered during the swap and the rack gears are centered prior to installation, the splines should all line back up so as not to damage the clock spring in the wheel or any miscellaneous sensors. If I remember correctly, my friend said the splines could shift by up to 5 in either direction without damaging anything.
Good to know, thanks for the info!
Dalessio is offline   Reply With Quote