Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday June 20, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #51
Optimus Prime
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69847
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cybertron
Vehicle:
2017 AMG C43

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinWhitePearl View Post
Where man?



There were three Type Rs, NSX, Integra and Civic; I don't see them adding another variant out of the blue.... or did I miss something?
Yes, there was an Accord Type-R (not the Euro-R).

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #52
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: South Bound Saurez
Vehicle:
I'm riding Falcor
to get the fuggoutta PP

Default

Man I miss my Accord.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #53
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinWhitePearl View Post

The CTR, has to be one of the best cars I've ever driven, out of the box; I know a lot of people have reservations about FWD, but drive a CTR and tell me you still feel like you're driving an early '00s Civic.
I have driven two. One stock, one tuned/flashed, believe it was Hondata. Wheel spin and I got some torque steer out of the modded one. Absolutely zero interest.

And 100% on the cost/ADM. Dude I can get a used ZL1 for what the thing costs or a C7 Z51. I paid 37.5k for my RS and sold it 2.5 years later for 34.5k. I couldn’t imagine paying that kind of money for ANY FWD car. The SM that I dealt with on my SH-AWD truck, asked if I was interested In the one CTR they had and I started
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:26 PM   #54
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A car lounge in the midwest
Vehicle:
19 WRX 16 STI
17Mk7R 20Supra 20Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
You can't overstate how tame the engine of the current CTR sounds. I was shocked the first time I heard it. There's never been a car where looks matched sound more poorly than the CTR.

I'm over my modding days, but I'd stick an exhaust on a CTR the second I bought it if I had one.
I thought my WRX was super quiet in its stock form. I threw on a pair of Remark muffler deletes (and Cobb SF intake) and now sounds the way it looks.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:27 PM   #55
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

I think the Type R has sold pretty well, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. They took the super practical Civic hatch (I have one and love it!), then put 20" wheels and pothole scraping body kit on it - so it's not really a daily driver, it's a weekend or fun car. But for a weekend car, I want something that thrills me when I rev the engine. GT350 for example. RS5? I know they're more money and maybe there's not good alternatives at $35k, but it just doesn't quite make sense to me. Makes more sense as a track car of course. Do people even do that anymore?

The Sport model sold in Europe makes more sense to me - 19" wheels and smaller spoiler, makes it more of a daily driver.
VarmintCong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #56
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A car lounge in the midwest
Vehicle:
19 WRX 16 STI
17Mk7R 20Supra 20Forester

Default

Yeah, I too think the CTR should've been a 2 door coupe (like the Si Coupe shape but wilder looking, and less practical is good).
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #57
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
I think the Type R has sold pretty well, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. They took the super practical Civic hatch (I have one and love it!), then put 20" wheels and pothole scraping body kit on it - so it's not really a daily driver, it's a weekend or fun car. But for a weekend car, I want something that thrills me when I rev the engine. GT350 for example. RS5? I know they're more money and maybe there's not good alternatives at $35k, but it just doesn't quite make sense to me. Makes more sense as a track car of course. Do people even do that anymore?

The Sport model sold in Europe makes more sense to me - 19" wheels and smaller spoiler, makes it more of a daily driver.
The CTR was a killer platform for DS auto crossing. It has cooling issues with prolonged HPDE lapping.

I think a veloster n might be better for me than a CTR. The civic is definitely faster and more “special” but the VN is more fun.

I’d much prefer the sport version as well. The red interior is not for me.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #58
DougNuts
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 192568
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, KY
Vehicle:
2015 Outback 3.6R
'18 F150, '21 RAV4 XSE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
I think the Type R has sold pretty well, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. They took the super practical Civic hatch (I have one and love it!), then put 20" wheels and pothole scraping body kit on it - so it's not really a daily driver, it's a weekend or fun car. But for a weekend car, I want something that thrills me when I rev the engine. GT350 for example. RS5? I know they're more money and maybe there's not good alternatives at $35k, but it just doesn't quite make sense to me. Makes more sense as a track car of course. Do people even do that anymore?

The Sport model sold in Europe makes more sense to me - 19" wheels and smaller spoiler, makes it more of a daily driver.
Your concerns echo mine from 3 years ago, when the car was first launched. There's no doubt that the 20" wheels need replaced on a daily driver, or they'll just end up bent. But for 3 years now, all of the reviews and feedback from owners is that the car can be daily driven without sacrificing anything.

Also, the feedback from the owners (and reviewers) regarding the engine is that it feels very special from 3-7000RPM.

I'm in no way defending it, as I see where you're coming from, but the feedback I've seen tells me that it really is that good at being a dual purpose car. I'm still thinking of picking one up, but I'm just not sure I want to spend 50% more than an Si to do it.

On that subject, I've watched a few Si vs. TypeR reviews and they usually end with the conclusion that they feel like they are different cars (not in a bad way, just explaining how much next level the TypeR is).
DougNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #59
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yeah, well, you know
Vehicle:
that 's, like, your
alternate facts, man.

Default

I wish Honda would lower the price of the dual-axis front suspension by making it standard and throwing it on every one of their passenger cars (like getting back to the dual-wishbones of the 80s). The Si or Accord Sport with the DA front axle would bring a lot of sport compact fans back into the Honda fold.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #60
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA #350
2021 Honda Civic Type R

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Yes, there was an Accord Type-R (not the Euro-R).

Dear Lord - how the hell did I forget about that? I recall the TSX / Accord Euro-R days, competent car!
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #61
neg_matnik
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132389
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: SF Bay Area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
I wish Honda would lower the price of the dual-axis front suspension by making it standard and throwing it on every one of their passenger cars (like getting back to the dual-wishbones of the 80s). The Si or Accord Sport with the DA front axle would bring a lot of sport compact fans back into the Honda fold.
I agree. These DA struts are one the main reasons why the car is so good.
And, since the new TLX went back to double wishbones, maybe Accord will get those back as well.
neg_matnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #62
Apharmd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357059
Join Date: May 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Vehicle:
2019 CTR
NB

Default

Man I can't believe there are still dealer markups on this car. I got mine for MSRP last year. At $35k when Honda introduced it this car made a lot of sense, if you can live with FWD. At $40k or more no way.
Apharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #63
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apharmd View Post
Man I can't believe there are still dealer markups on this car. I got mine for MSRP last year. At $35k when Honda introduced it this car made a lot of sense, if you can live with FWD. At $40k or more no way.
Cargurus shows lots of dealers advertising $2k off. There's some dealer lunacy right now, they look at the stock market and think it's gonna be a roaring year for car sales. So nothing would surprise me with the markups.
VarmintCong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #64
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
The CTR was a killer platform for DS auto crossing. It has cooling issues with prolonged HPDE lapping.

I think a veloster n might be better for me than a CTR. The civic is definitely faster and more "special" but the VN is more fun.

I'd much prefer the sport version as well. The red interior is not for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNuts View Post
Your concerns echo mine from 3 years ago, when the car was first launched. There's no doubt that the 20" wheels need replaced on a daily driver, or they'll just end up bent. But for 3 years now, all of the reviews and feedback from owners is that the car can be daily driven without sacrificing anything.

Also, the feedback from the owners (and reviewers) regarding the engine is that it feels very special from 3-7000RPM.

I'm in no way defending it, as I see where you're coming from, but the feedback I've seen tells me that it really is that good at being a dual purpose car. I'm still thinking of picking one up, but I'm just not sure I want to spend 50% more than an Si to do it.

On that subject, I've watched a few Si vs. TypeR reviews and they usually end with the conclusion that they feel like they are different cars (not in a bad way, just explaining how much next level the TypeR is).
Yeah, I'm not saying I don't want one, but the Sport would suit me a lot better, in fact I'd buy it if it was available here.

I'm still holding out hope we get the i30N here, since that seems just as fun, sounds better, and looks not better, just more stealthy. I'll probably buy a car this fall, if no word of i30N, I'll get either an Si, another Sport hatch, or maybe the updated Elantra GT N-Line if we get that. Just have to test drive the Si and Elantra GT.
VarmintCong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #65
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
Cargurus shows lots of dealers advertising $2k off. There's some dealer lunacy right now, they look at the stock market and think it's gonna be a roaring year for car sales. So nothing would surprise me with the markups.

Idiots. The bomb will drop at the end of the summer. A lot of people are on paid government assistance that will run out next month. Same for the fed backed mortgages. A lot of these government programs to keep people afloat during c19 will run out this summer. I would not buy a car right now. Wait for the end of Q3 or better yet, Q4.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #66
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
Idiots. The bomb will drop at the end of the summer. A lot of people are on paid government assistance that will run out next month. Same for the fed backed mortgages. A lot of these government programs to keep people afloat during c19 will run out this summer. I would not buy a car right now. Wait for the end of Q3 or better yet, Q4.
I agree, I'm waiting for fall.
VarmintCong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #67
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
I agree, I'm waiting for fall.
Q2 earnings will shave the market I think. Full crap o-la, maybe winter.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #68
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
** LP640
575M DMC-12

Default

I wonder how many faux scoops/vents that camo is covering up.
White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:51 AM   #69
ShadowLess
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280701
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Grand Canyon Wellsboro
Vehicle:
2011 STi/ 05 NSX
Black

Default New 2022 Honda Civic Type R hot hatch set to stick with tradition

New 2022 Honda Civic Type R hot hatch set to stick with tradition
The next Honda Civic Type R will grow in size, but it won’t use a hybrid powertrain. Our exclusive image previews how it could look

Honda is well under way with developing a replacement for the Civic Type R. And it should delight enthusiasts when it arrives in 2022 by shunning a hybrid powertrain.

The current Type R only landed in showrooms three years ago, but Japanese manufacturers work on significantly shorter production cycles, typically between four to five years, as opposed to the eight years employed by European rivals, such as Renault, Peugeot and Volkswagen.

Our spy photographers have caught the very first prototypes of the upcoming hot hatch on the road, which clearly show that the Type R will increase in size. The wheelbase is visibly longer than today’s model, while the front overhang is more pronounced, too.

Although still heavily disguised, styling changes appear to be evolutionary; this mule shares the same fastback silhouette, enormous rear wing and broad front splitter as the outgoing model. At the rear, more horizontal tail-lamps make an appearance, while the offset exhaust will be replaced by a centre-exit unit on the production model, as hinted at by the cut-out in the rear bumper.

While Honda’s range shifts towards electrification, the next Type R won’t. The Japanese firm recently clarified its EV strategy by announcing that it aims to electrify only its ‘mainstream’ European line-up by 2022.

When asked if this included the Type R, Tom Gardener, senior vice president at Honda Europe, told us: “We have our main pillars that are going to be electrified. Clearly we have a very famous product, such as the derivative of the Civic, which I guess is what you are referring to in the Type R, but no decisions have been made on that yet.

“We’re very much aware of customers’ strong appreciation of the current model, and we’ll have to deeply consider the best progress forward.”

Expect the new hot hatch to make use of the existing car’s 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged engine, but with power up from the current 316bhp, plus efficiency tweaks. It’s almost certain that the Type R will retain its six-speed manual gearbox and front-wheel drive set-up, too.

Production of the model will also move, from its current base in Swindon, which is due to close in 2021, to one of Honda’s facilities in Japan.

Honda Civic Type R timeline
1996 (EK9)


The very first Civic to wear the Type R badge was built in Japan as a three-door hatch. It had a 1.6-litre VTEC engine that developed 181bhp.

2001 (EP3)


The EP3 generation Type R was the first to be manufactured at Honda’s Swindon plant and sold overseas. It was powered by a 197bhp 2.0-litre VTEC engine.

2006 (FN2)


Two versions of third-generation Type R were launched: a four-door saloon for Japan and a three-door hatch for Europe, both with the same engine as the EP3.

2012 (FK2)


Honda moved to a five-door hatchback body for this generation. The Type R also had turbo power for the first time, with a 306bhp 2.0-litre four-cylinder.

2016 (FK8)


Current Type R will be the last produced at Swindon. It’s the most powerful version yet, with 316bhp, and was the first to be exported to North America.

Article is from AutoExpress UK

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/...tick-tradition
ShadowLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #70
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

So much for AWD oichan. F'd again.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #71
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

The real pisser is that the CTR is going to get even bigger. It's already 2" longer than an 8th Gen Civic sedan. If they want the Civic to become the old Accord, they need a car that's the old Civic - and it's not the ugly ass Fit.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #72
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2020 X3M Competition

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
The real pisser is that the CTR is going to get even bigger. It's already 2" longer than an 8th Gen Civic sedan. If they want the Civic to become the old Accord, they need a car that's the old Civic - and it's not the ugly ass Fit.
I was going to post the same thing. When I saw the CTR in person the first thing that popped into my mind was how big it was. They really should change the current compact segment description to "entry level mid-size" cars as there's nothing compact about these beasts.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #73
JP Chestnut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
I was going to post the same thing. When I saw the CTR in person the first thing that popped into my mind was how big it was. They really should change the current compact segment description to "entry level mid-size" cars as there's nothing compact about these beasts.
It’s true. And the sedan version is many inches longer than the hatch. The sedan IS a midsized car. It’s big on the outside and the inside.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #74
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
It’s true. And the sedan version is many inches longer than the hatch. The sedan IS a midsized car. It’s big on the outside and the inside.
Totally, the sedan is 3.3" longer than the hatchback. I'm probably going to buy a 2020 Si sedan, but I wish it wasn't so long. The hatch is a good size but really shouldn't be any bigger, unless Honda has a smaller platform to use for a Type R.
VarmintCong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #75
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Wait, Type R production will be in Japan? But the hatch is being produced in the US for next gen. That's weird.
VarmintCong is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.