Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 21, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #3301
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454620
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Funny, I just got the email. Silicon is high which is no surprise as I waited till 30k to change it and it was filthy.

JRowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #3302
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

The silicon comment from above was about my air filter not the oil. For some reason Iím unable to edit.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #3303
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRowland View Post
Funny, I just got the email. Silicon is high which is no surprise as I waited till 30k to change it and it was filthy.

Youíve probably mentioned it before, but why are you running this over regular Edge 0W-40? The regular stuff has more magnesium and less calcium and probably costs less.
bluesubie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #3304
wrx12tt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 108462
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Quote:
I was running M1 5w30 with decent OAIs for a stock car at 5k intervals. I was changing my oil 2 changes ago and realized after I drained it that my 5 gal. jug that I thought was new was full of dirty oil. I ran to Wal Mart and they were out of the 5 gal. 5w30 so I bought 0w40 (M1). Afterwords I did some research and while itís a solid oil for sure it is really high in calcium. After 5k I switched to Castrol 0w40 for the same (relatively cheap) price and a lot less calcium. I just changed that and sent it in to OAI and will post it when I get the results. Calcium from my understanding is a contributor to LSPI. Obviously driving behaviors play a part in LSPI but I would rather have more protection against it while basically getting the same protection from a different oil for the same price. While the car feels and drives the same between all 3 I did notice that the 0w40 averages 200+ degrees but the 5w30 averaged 190 degrees. Iím hoping this keeps the fuel dilution down, thatís why I stuck with 0w40. I could care less about fuel economy but that did drop 1 mpg as well. I only average 25 mpg on the gauge, but I have a heavy foot.
Good call on the calcium and LSPI. I found a post on BITOG claiming that M1 0w40 uses calcium-based detergents and Castrol 0w40 uses magnesium-based detergents. I'm not sure if current formulations have stayed consistent, but I'll give Castrol 0w40 a strong consideration.

The temperatures make sense to me, 0w40 should have higher friction losses (heat), and it won't cool as well as 5w30.
wrx12tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #3305
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Youíve probably mentioned it before, but why are you running this over regular Edge 0W-40? The regular stuff has more magnesium and less calcium and probably costs less.

I didnít realize there was 2 Edge 0w40. I saw this at Wal Mart for $21 (5 gal.) and grabbed 2. Iíll use the other one next time then switch. 2400 on the calcium seemed higher than I expected but I probably looked at VOAs for the one you are talking about. I guess the bright side is the calcium is similar to the Subaru factory oil you posted in the other thread. Thanks for clearing up the question I didnít ask but wondered about :-)
Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #3306
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx12tt View Post
Good call on the calcium and LSPI. I found a post on BITOG claiming that M1 0w40 uses calcium-based detergents and Castrol 0w40 uses magnesium-based detergents. I'm not sure if current formulations have stayed consistent, but I'll give Castrol 0w40 a strong consideration.

The temperatures make sense to me, 0w40 should have higher friction losses (heat), and it won't cool as well as 5w30.

And it didnít help my fuel dilution, BUT it didnít shear or dilute down to a 20w.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #3307
CoffeeBlacker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482592

Quote:
You’re getting Extended Performance mixed up with High Mileage.

Extended Performance is meant for extended oil change intervals. This oil is made with better base stocks but I’m not sure that there will really be that much of a difference over the regular oil running it for only 3-6k miles.

The early days of High Mileage oils had more problems because of “seal swellers”. Today I would call them “seal conditioners” since the oil manufacturers use a better balance of base stocks and additives to make them and you don’t have to worry about destroying seals or gaskets.
Bluesubie, thanks for the info, both the extended perf bit and the seal info is good to know. I'll pack that away for future reference.

Have you guys noticed a difference in highway mileage with the different oils? (and i realize we didn't buy these cars for the gas mileage, but i also don't want to be putting what may be additional pressure on internals, by using something too...thick...in edit: and this is in regards to me using Purple 5w30 fs).

One last thing, i read we can (maybe should) use 5w40 for hotter environments and our current subie 5w30 stuff is pretty thin* (more like a mix of 5w20/5w30). Am i kind-of reading that right? It also seems like the subie oil breaks down earlier, compared to other oils in this thread/spreadsheet, and when looking at responses on the results of their oil breakdown. So, if you use that subie 5w30, you want to replace it earlier (due to early breakdown) and not use it in hotter environments (due to lack of viscosity at higher engine temps) basically?
CoffeeBlacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #3308
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBlacker View Post
Bluesubie, thanks for the info, both the extended perf bit and the seal info is good to know. I'll pack that away for future reference.

Have you guys noticed a difference in highway mileage with the different oils? (and i realize we didn't buy these cars for the gas mileage, but i also don't want to be putting what may be additional pressure on internals, by using something too...thick...in edit: and this is in regards to me using Purple 5w30 fs).

One last thing, i read we can (maybe should) use 5w40 for hotter environments and our current subie 5w30 stuff is pretty thin* (more like a mix of 5w20/5w30). Am i kind-of reading that right? It also seems like the subie oil breaks down earlier, compared to other oils in this thread/spreadsheet, and when looking at responses on the results of their oil breakdown. So, if you use that subie 5w30, you want to replace it earlier (due to early breakdown) and not use it in hotter environments (due to lack of viscosity at higher engine temps) basically?
Iíd start here:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...5#post45560595

Then read this thread we are in from the beginning AND follow all the links. It took me awhile, but it will answer most every oil question you may have now. Plus you will learn where to go to find answers in the future. As an added bonus youíll learn who some of the really smart people on this forum are as well as a few trolls.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #3309
ruhohshaggy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 426218
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
DGM

2016 wrx
stage2 e-tune w/ TBE, TGV&EGR deletes, AIG AOS, GS IC

https://imgur.com/a/Qmwz9

I realize 2k mi is a super short OCI, I usually go at least 3k, but it was 0F constant short-tripping stop and go traffic. My first oil report so I don't know what I'm looking at here. Any feedback would be great.
ruhohshaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #3310
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhohshaggy View Post
2016 wrx
stage2 e-tune w/ TBE, TGV&EGR deletes, AIG AOS, GS IC

https://imgur.com/a/Qmwz9

I realize 2k mi is a super short OCI, I usually go at least 3k, but it was 0F constant short-tripping stop and go traffic. My first oil report so I don't know what I'm looking at here. Any feedback would be great.
I’d bet that your viscosity is down to a 20 grade due to fuel dilution, but you are using the wrong company to know. Use OAI and ask them to test for fuel in your note next time. 2,000 miles is a short amount of time for the turbo to shear the oil that much, that’s why my money is on fuel dilution. It’s common with our cars. I would run a stout 5w40 with those mods if it was me. At least when it dilutes it will be a 30 grade or may even stay a 40 if you pick one that is a higher viscosity 5w40. Read the thread and you will understand why (especially with a modified motor) you want a better oil. Bluesubie recommends HTHS as one of the main things to judge an oil by and I trust his knowledge. Also try to keep calcium down, it appears to have an effect on LSPI. I can’t say it enough, read the whole thread and follow the links if you want to learn. If you don’t care to learn and just want a good oil read this, it’s all spelled out and spoon fed to you.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #3311
ruhohshaggy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
DGM

Quote:
Iíd bet that your viscosity is down to a 20 grade due to fuel dilution, but you are using the wrong company to know. Use OAI and ask them to test for fuel in your note next time. 2,000 miles is a short amount of time for the turbo to shear the oil that much, thatís why my money is on fuel dilution. Itís common with our cars. I would run a stout 5w40 with those mods if it was me. At least when it dilutes it will be a 30 grade or may even stay a 40 if you pick one that is a higher viscosity 5w40. Read the thread and you will understand why (especially with a modified motor) you want a better oil. Bluesubie recommends HTHS as one of the main things to judge an oil by and I trust his knowledge. Also try to keep calcium down, it appears to have an effect on LSPI. I canít say it enough, read the whole thread and follow the links if you want to learn. If you donít care to learn and just want a good oil read this, itís all spelled out and spoon fed to you.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Is it not the "fuel %" in my chart that shows dilution? My dipstick definitely always reeks of fuel for sure tho. Would you run 5w40 during the summer (avg 85degF) AND winters (0-30degF? What specific oil would you run personally with my mods? I'm reading the link you sent right now, thanks again. May look like I'll have to sell my 5 jugs of 5w30 PUP I hoarded from Walmart lol...
Old 03-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #3312
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

Quote:
Iíd bet that your viscosity is down to a 20 grade due to fuel dilution, but you are using the wrong company to know. Use OAI and ask them to test for fuel in your note next time. 2,000 miles is a short amount of time for the turbo to shear the oil that much, thatís why my money is on fuel dilution. Itís common with our cars. I would run a stout 5w40 with those mods if it was me. At least when it dilutes it will be a 30 grade or may even stay a 40 if you pick one that is a higher viscosity 5w40. Read the thread and you will understand why (especially with a modified motor) you want a better oil. Bluesubie recommends HTHS as one of the main things to judge an oil by and I trust his knowledge. Also try to keep calcium down, it appears to have an effect on LSPI. I canít say it enough, read the whole thread and follow the links if you want to learn. If you donít care to learn and just want a good oil read this, itís all spelled out and spoon fed to you.

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Is it not the "fuel %" in my chart that shows dilution? My dipstick definitely always reeks of fuel for sure tho. Would you run 5w40 during the summer (avg 85degF) AND winters (0-30degF? What specific oil would you run personally with my mods? I'm reading the link you sent right now, thanks again. May look like I'll have to sell my 5 jugs of 5w30 PUP I hoarded from Walmart lol...

JR - Thereís not a lot of data (one or two uoaís posted by hotdog), but he likely has less fuel dilution than typical due to TGV/EGR deletes.

ruhroh - Blackstone extrapolates the fuel % based on the flashpoint reading. They donít actually test for fuel. Oil Analyzerís Inc tests for actual fuel by running a Gas Chromatography if your viscosity is out of grade or if you request it.

Regardless, not too unusual for a Resource Conserving GF5 5W-30 to shear to a 20 grade in a WRX in 2k miles anyway. To confuse you more, the minimum viscosity for a 30 grade is 9.3 cSt. BS just expects it to shear.

Last edited by bluesubie; 03-05-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #3313
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Quote:
I am no expert on this subject and even though I have read a lot it doesnít mean Iím comfortable in recommending something for your car and mods. I do know 5w oils are good down to around -20F if I recall correctly, so Iíd run a 0w if I was seeing negative 30F.

Being that I have an aversion to expensive oil, and I like being able to run to the store and buy it, and I want at least 5k mile change intervals I run Castrol 0w40 for $25 or less per 5 gal. jug from Walmart. My car is stock now and if I jumped up to a 93 octane tune without hard parts I wouldnít change a thing.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #3314
ruhohshaggy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
DGM

Quote:
I am no expert on this subject and even though I have read a lot it doesn’t mean I’m comfortable in recommending something for your car and mods. I do know 5w oils are good down to around -20F if I recall correctly, so I’d run a 0w if I was seeing negative 30F.

Being that I have an aversion to expensive oil, and I like being able to run to the store and buy it, and I want at least 5k mile change intervals I run Castrol 0w40 for $25 or less per 5 gal. jug from Walmart. My car is stock now and if I jumped up to a 93 octane tune without hard parts I wouldn’t change a thing.
yeah that's what bluesubie recommended also. i guess i'll be selling my jugs of PUP lol. thanks

is it this stuff? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-E...-5-QT/35931146
Old 03-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #3315
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Quote:
yeah that's what bluesubie recommended also. i guess i'll be selling my jugs of PUP lol. thanks

is it this stuff? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-E...-5-QT/35931146
Yes sir.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #3316
Rowrx11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338312

How about motul x-cess 5w40 for stock 2017 Sti ?
Rowrx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #3317
fredzy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 317270
Vehicle:
15 WRX, WRB 6MT
15 Sienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie1688 View Post
I was thinking about M1 0W40 Euro, because I also stock it for my Cayman. Then realized that I haven't had any apparent valve deposit issues. I assume this is because of the low SAPS formulation for ESP.
Have you inspected your valves to confirm this, or are you basing that assessment only on the car running well?

I've been running 5W30 ESP since second OCI @ 10k miles. I do 5k mi intervals. I'm going on 40k mi now.

Last fall I decided to check my valves with a bore scope to see if I could make out any significant deposits. It was a mostly hopeless endeavor at first. I borrowed another, better scope from a friend and wasn't able to see much more but what I saw looked like a shiny/greasy valve with no significant deposit. I do mainly mixed driving and see 1/3 to 1/2 quart oil consumption in 5k miles.

I'm wondering if the ESP oil does more than just spit less crud into the intake. If it is designed to allow certain components of the oil to cook off, travel to the catalytic converter and prevent buildup from occurring or dissolve it from hot bits, those same friendly components could be making their way to the intake via PCV/EGR and having the same effect on the valves and intake port. Wishful thinking, but pretty logical nonetheless.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #3318
ruhohshaggy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
DGM

bluesubie, if price and availability were non-issues, which would you run in a Stage 2 FA20DIT in New York? Castrol 0w40 or 5w40? I can find 5w40 for $30.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #3319
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
04 FXT

Quote:
bluesubie, if price and availability were non-issues, which would you run in a Stage 2 FA20DIT in New York? Castrol 0w40 or 5w40? I can find 5w40 for $30.

Letís see if youíve been paying attention. What is the spec that the 0W-40 meets that the 5W-40 does not meet? And why do you ask this question?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #3320
Popnfresh48x
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 471221

Quote:
2018 wrx stage 2 and I currently run redline 5w30, runs really well and waiting to do a uoa, was considering switching to motul x cess 5w40 or possibly M1 0w40 based on positive feedback and lower cost
Popnfresh48x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:21 AM   #3321
musubie
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 475399

First time using Blackstone or any service for that matter. Iíll have results emailed to me? Thanks
musubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #3322
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubie View Post
First time using Blackstone or any service for that matter. Iíll have results emailed to me? Thanks
I believe that is the fastest option, Iím not familiar with Blackstone though.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #3323
ruhohshaggy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
DGM

Quote:
Let’s see if you’ve been paying attention. What is the spec that the 0W-40 meets that the 5W-40 does not meet? And why do you ask this question?
Whoops yeah you did say that the 0w had the more stringent MB certification but the 5W-40 did not. Sorry lots of things going on atm and I kind of wished I had never delved into this whole oil debacle. Can. Of. Worms.

So lemme see if I have this right:
-You recommend Castrol 0w40 since it’s got lower saps than Mobil 1 0w40? Any other reasons?

-Also, is a higher hths always better? Mobil 1 = 3.8, Castrol=3.6? Couldn’t find anything definitive on Castrol.

-Heard the Mobil 1 formulation was changed recently? Good bad changes?

-how can Mobil 1 be less viscous but have a higher hths(supposedly)?

https://ibb.co/dtFp2x

Last edited by ruhohshaggy; 03-13-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #3324
JRowland
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Red

Default 2015 WRX Used Oil Analysis Thread

Quote:
Whoops yeah you did say that the 0w had the more stringent MB certification but the 5W-40 did not. Sorry lots of things going on atm and I kind of wished I had never delved into this whole oil debacle. Can. Of. Worms.

So lemme see if I have this right:
-You recommend Castrol 0w40 since itís got lower saps than Mobil 1 0w40? Any other reasons?

-Also, is a higher hths always better? Mobil 1 = 3.8, Castrol=3.6? Couldnít find anything definitive on Castrol.

-Heard the Mobil 1 formulation was changed recently? Good bad changes?

-how can Mobil 1 be less viscous but have a higher hths(supposedly)?

https://ibb.co/dtFp2x

Castrol 0W40 has less calcium which has been linked to LSPI. Similar price, similar certifications, less calcium than Mobil1 0w40. That was my deciding factor anyway.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #3325
wheeliesteve
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 455200
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DGM

Default Latest UOA with Motul 5w40

My latest report looks good compared to the last one when I was running PUP 5w30. I changed over to Motul 5w40 and happy with it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X5...6_tkV4EBBx_4L2

Last edited by wheeliesteve; 03-14-2018 at 08:05 PM.
wheeliesteve is offline   Reply With Quote