Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 20, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Thumbs up Anyone ever put a newer Homelink mirror in a older GD???

Been trying to find out if a later Homelink Mirror is compatible with my 05 STi that has a autodim/compass mirror in it that was a option of the day.
Before I spend money on the new mirror, I was wanting to see if anyone has successfully done this??? TÍA
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #2
Stretch18
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239822
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: America's Penis
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
pandiculation

Default

There’s a guy on eBay named copper_z71 that does conversion cables for these. You let him know what connectors you have, so the install is plug and play. They’re in the $20 range...
Stretch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch18 View Post
There’s a guy on eBay named copper_z71 that does conversion cables for these. You let him know what connectors you have, so the install is plug and play. They’re in the $20 range...
Perfect.. thank you
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #4
turbo sol
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 245106
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas city
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
San Remo

Default

I put homelink in my 2004 wrx

bought USED mirror from EBAY

bought a mirror harness
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...mirror-harness

bought a camlock adapter for the mounting
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...-mount-adapter

bought the wiring trim cover (I had to trim to fit the shorter distance in the WRX)
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...ror-wire-cover
turbo sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo sol View Post
I put homelink in my 2004 wrx

bought USED mirror from EBAY

bought a mirror harness
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...mirror-harness

bought a camlock adapter for the mounting
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...-mount-adapter

bought the wiring trim cover (I had to trim to fit the shorter distance in the WRX)
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...ror-wire-cover
Even better..What year mirror did you get to be compatible??. thanks, Thats exactly what I was looking for. and since you did on a 2004.. makes it even better.. Appreciate it ..
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
turbo sol
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 245106
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas city
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
San Remo

Default

this is the mirror I bought,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2007-S...72.m2749.l2649


it matched the mirror from this Youtube video…

so it looks like the mirror comes in a variety of cars
turbo sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
thatgarrett
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 497099
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: TN
Vehicle:
2007 Outback Sport
Urban Gray

Default

That’s the one that came stock in my 2007, I don’t think you’ll even need a conversion cable for it
thatgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
turbo sol
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 245106
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas city
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
San Remo

Default

the rearview mirror with only the compass takes a different harness than the homelink equiped mirror (the mirror side plug is different). - but they both seem to plug into the chassis harness by the dome light.
turbo sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #9
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo sol View Post
this is the mirror I bought,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2007-S...72.m2749.l2649

it matched the mirror from this Youtube video…
https://youtu.be/RQ2IEcQ7IlI

so it looks like the mirror comes in a variety of cars
Perfect. Thank you very much..Exactly what I was looking for.. You ROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgarrett View Post
That’s the one that came stock in my 2007, I don’t think you’ll even need a conversion cable for it
As turbo sol said below...I will need a different cable as mine has the Auto Dimming/Compass feature but with no Homelink..

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo sol View Post
the rearview mirror with only the compass takes a different harness than the homelink equiped mirror (the mirror side plug is different). - but they both seem to plug into the chassis harness by the dome light.

Thanks again Kind sir..
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #10
turbo sol
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 245106
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kansas city
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
San Remo

Default



it's one of those mods no one thinks about… but I wish i did it so many years ago.

I've had the car for about 10 years and just got around to doing this…
turbo sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #11
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo sol View Post


it's one of those mods no one thinks about… but I wish i did it so many years ago.

I've had the car for about 10 years and just got around to doing this…
Sweeeeet ... mine shows up today but I will be at work. Love this. thanks again.. invaluable resource .. you should check out my Gallery Thread.. you might find it interesting Scooby South's 2005 STi OG
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #12
Zmanwrx23
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 438620
Join Date: Jan 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Des Moines, IA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan
CGM

Default

Can agree I wish I did this to mine a long time ago. I got the OE optional homelink mirror shown in this post from a wreck. Swap took all of 5 min and was plug and play. 100% recommend
Zmanwrx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 123843
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

Default

I bought a 2003 Bugeye sedan a year and half ago and need to replace the original compass / auto-dimming mirror.

I was considering taking the compass / auto-dimming mirror out of my 2016 STI LTD to do so, and then replace the one from the STI with a newer 'frameless' compass / auto-dimming mirror.

What would I need to do so and of course I would need the PN for each.

Thank you kindly in advance.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:30 AM   #14
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

A 12 wire harness.. and a adaptor plate.. both available at the dealership.. of use the parts listed above from RallySportdirect... They work too
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:43 PM   #15
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

Well I got mine in.. Can't get to program tho.. I wonder if my Garage door opener is more advanced than what the mirror can handle.. Garage door opener new as of 2019
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:57 AM   #16
BlueSTI4Me
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34361
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MI
Vehicle:
04.7 STI
WRB IG @got2boostit2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
Well I got mine in.. Can't get to program tho.. I wonder if my Garage door opener is more advanced than what the mirror can handle.. Garage door opener new as of 2019
Had original Homelink mirror and bought new garage door opener in 2017 and have not been able to program. Bought adapter and couldn't program. Gave up and have been using App. Unit was 2007 installed in my 2004 STi.
BlueSTI4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #17
Craig4g63
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 217175
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSTI4Me View Post
Had original Homelink mirror and bought new garage door opener in 2017 and have not been able to program. Bought adapter and couldn't program. Gave up and have been using App. Unit was 2007 installed in my 2004 STi.
I have an 03 wrx that has a Homelink mirror installed in it around 10 years ago. It does not work with a garage door opener from 2016 ish. Wife has a 16 forester that does work with the garage door opener. Her Homelink mirror came with the car from the dealer.
So after doing a little looking i have found this

14-16 forester pn: H501SSG101
15-16 wrx and 13-16 brz pn: H501SCA101

17 -20 wrx pn: H501SVA301
18-21 forester and impreza pn: H501SSG304

it appears the 14-16 stuff is a 12 pin plug on the mirror and the 17-21 stuff looks like it has a 5 pin dongle attached to the mirror. This has been very difficult to verify as no one seems to take pictures of the back of the mirror.
I will also make assumptions on homelink version on these mirrors. I would guess 17-21 to be homelink V5 and that 14-16 be one of the V4's. I have found no way to verify this though.
I haven't decided to do it yet, but my plan would be to purchase the 14-16 forester mirror and the wire adapter from Rallysport linked in this thread. I assume this is the same part in the wife's subaru and that it will also work with my opener. The 13-16 BRZ mirror appears to be about $30 cheaper, but as i can't verify what version of Homlink any mirror is running I don't know if it will work with my opener.
another note: current price at a local dealer for me.
H501SSG101 $197
H501SCA101 $165

I also have not been able to find if the part numbers mean anything. I don't know the difference between SSG vs SCA in those two part numbers.
feel free to add any information or correct me.
Craig4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:42 PM   #18
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig4g63 View Post
I have an 03 wrx that has a Homelink mirror installed in it around 10 years ago. It does not work with a garage door opener from 2016 ish. Wife has a 16 forester that does work with the garage door opener. Her Homelink mirror came with the car from the dealer.
So after doing a little looking i have found this

14-16 forester pn: H501SSG101
15-16 wrx and 13-16 brz pn: H501SCA101

17 -20 wrx pn: H501SVA301
18-21 forester and impreza pn: H501SSG304

it appears the 14-16 stuff is a 12 pin plug on the mirror and the 17-21 stuff looks like it has a 5 pin dongle attached to the mirror. This has been very difficult to verify as no one seems to take pictures of the back of the mirror.
I will also make assumptions on homelink version on these mirrors. I would guess 17-21 to be homelink V5 and that 14-16 be one of the V4's. I have found no way to verify this though.
I haven't decided to do it yet, but my plan would be to purchase the 14-16 forester mirror and the wire adapter from Rallysport linked in this thread. I assume this is the same part in the wife's subaru and that it will also work with my opener. The 13-16 BRZ mirror appears to be about $30 cheaper, but as i can't verify what version of Homlink any mirror is running I don't know if it will work with my opener.
another note: current price at a local dealer for me.
H501SSG101 $197
H501SCA101 $165

I also have not been able to find if the part numbers mean anything. I don't know the difference between SSG vs SCA in those two part numbers.
feel free to add any information or correct me.

Great Info... I think the other part I want to research is the Garage door opener itself... maybe there is a way to 'teach' my mirror what to do??? I have a website bookmarked for the company that 'makes' Home-link with some youtube vids on how to program... I am at work right now.. but I will try to remember to do it when I get home.. ..Thanks again for info.. maybe we can have a collaborative effort to solve the mystery of this..

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:18 PM   #19
charles s
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 35935
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Vehicle:
2006 OBS 99 Forester
Steel Grey & Silver

Default

If your opener has a yellow "learn" button, you will need a mirror compatible with Security+ 2.0, which I believe came out 2016 or so.
charles s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #20
Scooby South
Subtly Outspoken
Moderator
 
Member#: 238
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
OG05 STi
51E

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles s View Post
If your opener has a yellow "learn" button, you will need a mirror compatible with Security+ 2.0, which I believe came out 2016 or so.
I learned something .. if you are trying to pair with a Liftmaster opener then you will need a Homelink repeater...


https://www.liftmaster.com/homelink-.../HOMELINK+RPTR

the interesting thing is the opener works with my 2017 Impreza Sport equipped with homelink and the wifes 2017 Nissan Rogue

sooo my current mirror that I have on the GD. doesn't support the 2.0 Security.. and the Bridge is a way to defeat it.

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #21
obiling
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 409438
Join Date: Dec 2014
Vehicle:
2003 Sedan
white

Default

From my experience, any year "Subaru" auto-dim compass mirror will work with any year Subaru.

All the mounting points for the mirror are the same and Subaru offers the adapter kit for the Homelink ones.

Any Subaru that has the factory option to add an auto-dim will have the 3 wires necessary under the map light.

Ground, Power and Reverse Signal.

The newer auto-dim mirrors have 5 wires, the 2 additional wires are for the exterior auto-dim option, left and right signal.

I have a 2020 Auto-dim w/ Compass and Homelink in my 07 Forester and it works perfect. I get that not many people want to cut up their new mirror harness but you can easily take out the pins and buy some terminals and save the connector if you want to ever take it out.
obiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #22
GalaxyWide
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383291
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Great White North
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Cayenne Red

Default

Aren't the newer cars all wedge mount, vs the older camlock mounts? Or is that the adapter you mentioned?

I'm looking to put a newer frameless mirror in my 04, and it appears the new mirrors need a mount adapter.
GalaxyWide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #23
obiling
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 409438
Join Date: Dec 2014
Vehicle:
2003 Sedan
white

Default

Yeah Subaru makes the adapter part #H501SSA041
obiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.