Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
STI68
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 465991
Default My 05 STI keeps losing its power

So my car is a 05 sti with cobb stage 2. 300k on odo, engine rebuilt with new stock turbo and a few other things year and a half ago. My car lost all of its power. Sluggish, rough idle, terrible fuel economy. Recent maintenance has been changing the avcs line 2 months ago and then swapping the blower fan a week ago.

Due to the symptoms I thought it was the knock sensor, so swapped that. No i didnt test it i just did it since the odo is at 300k. Didnt notice any difference.

My car last night all of a sudden kicked back to full power while turning onto a high way. It was good to feel the power again. This has happened 2 other times in the two weeks this has happened. (Had to get to and from work and I live in the middle of nowhere. Took a week to get the knock sensor) but this morning on my way to work doing bout 120km the power just cut out again and I was back to no power. Getting closer to work it kicked on and off twice in like 2 seconds.

Codes:
P0037-Rear o2 sensor heater control circuit low input
P2016-TGV position sensor 1 (RH) circuit low
((And it had P0021 yesterday but is now gone and I didnt reset it off?))
P0021-intake cam 2 (LH) position-timing Over-advanced or system perf

->note the first two codes have been on for well before my car acted up. And last one just noticed yesterday.

Please help, I'm out of ideas and the shop is few hours from my place and 150 an hour shop rate so I'd like to try stuff I can do first.
Thanks so much
STI68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
ifearnoevo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475635
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2016 WRX STI
Wrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI68 View Post
So my car is a 05 sti with cobb stage 2. 300k on odo, engine rebuilt with new stock turbo and a few other things year and a half ago. My car lost all of its power. Sluggish, rough idle, terrible fuel economy. Recent maintenance has been changing the avcs line 2 months ago and then swapping the blower fan a week ago.

Due to the symptoms I thought it was the knock sensor, so swapped that. No i didnt test it i just did it since the odo is at 300k. Didnt notice any difference.

My car last night all of a sudden kicked back to full power while turning onto a high way. It was good to feel the power again. This has happened 2 other times in the two weeks this has happened. (Had to get to and from work and I live in the middle of nowhere. Took a week to get the knock sensor) but this morning on my way to work doing bout 120km the power just cut out again and I was back to no power. Getting closer to work it kicked on and off twice in like 2 seconds.

Codes:
P0037-Rear o2 sensor heater control circuit low input
P2016-TGV position sensor 1 (RH) circuit low
((And it had P0021 yesterday but is now gone and I didnt reset it off?))
P0021-intake cam 2 (LH) position-timing Over-advanced or system perf

->note the first two codes have been on for well before my car acted up. And last one just noticed yesterday.

Please help, I'm out of ideas and the shop is few hours from my place and 150 an hour shop rate so I'd like to try stuff I can do first.
Thanks so much
I would check the wiring harness for any obvious damage by the avcs line you replaced and by the downpipe /o2 harnesses I have seen them get too hot and melt by the downpipe and have seen the o2 sensor wiring short to ground from vibration. I would also clean the avcs solenoid.
ifearnoevo is offline   Reply With Quote