Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Hazmat Junkie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350645
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon

Default Just picked up a 98 wagon! I have a few questions.

So, I picked up a 98 L Wagon yesterday as a second car and kayak mover. I have a long commute to work and the miles are killing the resale value of the truck not to mention the cost of gas killing my wallet. I am excited to drive something that doesn't threaten to tip over if I go around a corner at full speed. I had a MKV VW GTI prior to the truck and it was an adjustment.

It is in pretty good shape. The PO did the seals, belts, timing belt, one bearing/CV shaft, O2 sensor, water pump, brake pads, and a few other things while he owned it.

However, it does have almost 168k on it so there area a few small issues. Namely, the shifter. I've already read up on replacing the shift knuckle so I am good on that. While I am working on the shifter is there anything else I should do?

I also read that the grounding is terrible so I'll be ordering the paranoid fabrications kit to handle that.

The main issue right now is the turn signals. They flash very fast and for a short duration. When the headlights are on the rate slows but the duration of the flash is very short. The bulbs are not blown out and I am going to go outside in a few minutes and check how they are in the sockets. could it be that the relays are going or it is related to poor grounding? I'd like to fix the issue tonight if possible as it goes in for inspection in the AM.

Edit: Disregard the turn signal issues! I found out that the driver side bulb was loose in the socket. The PO used packing tape to try and hold it tight. I bent the tabs up and now it works perfectly.

Last edited by Hazmat Junkie; 03-20-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Hazmat Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
woodstocktech
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 341363
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

So was there a question in that somewhere?
woodstocktech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Hazmat Junkie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon

Sorry, the first question about the turn signals got handled shortly after posting.

The other question was if there is anything else worth fixing/upgrading while I am doing the shift linkage knuckle.

I am sure I had something else in mind but most other things have been answered by various FAQ's here and elsewhere.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
woodstocktech
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 341363
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

I would drain and fill the trans and diffs, I always like new fluids in a used car. Im sure if you look hard enough you can find plenty to keep you busy.
woodstocktech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Hazmat Junkie
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon

trans and diff fluid are also on the to-do list. I guess while I am under the car near the trans I should do the fluid while I am there.