Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 30, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
subarutrissi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 493969
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
Obsidian black pearl

Default Swapping a 5spd manual

Hi, i have a 2005 legacy. It has a 4 speed automatic transmission, i want to put a 5 speed manual out of a 98 impreza. I know that there isn’t a speed sensor on the 4th gen tranny so i need to plug that hole, how do i do all the other electrical stuff to drive the car. Best regards, Tristan
subarutrissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
subarutrissi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 493969
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited
Obsidian black pearl

No one?
subarutrissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
Dvpper_sf5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469362

Sell your car and buy the manual version. I’ve done this on an 02 wrx and I’m still having a nightmare with the speed sensor
Dvpper_sf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Fozymandias
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504375

Need to check your own pin outs but ... from my 2001 Forester swap

The main things that need to be tackled are;

1) Ignition
2) Key interlock
3) Reverse / backup sensor
4) Neutral position switch
5) Speed sensor
6) ECU identification pin
7) Transmission control unit

You may also have or need a clutch safety switch (attached to the clutch pedal which only allows the ignition to fire when the clutch is depressed) - in Ireland they are not needed or fitted so I’m not familiar with the wiring for this.

At the bulkhead after swapping the transmissions, you will have two plugs disconnected - a 16 pin one and a 12 pin one you can ignore the 16 pin one - the pins you need are contained in the 12 pin plug

1. Ignition

At pins 11&12 you will see two thicker wires - snip them and join them together, you can now start your car with the key in the ignition.

2. Key interlock

Your key can’t come out of the barrel as the interlock switch will be waiting on a park signal. At the base of the gear shifter, you will see a white plug with 4 wires going into it. By joining two of these you can disable the lock and you can now take out your key as normal. From memory it’s the middle two wires but to check just loop some wire to connect them at the back of the plug and you’ll soon work it out.

3 & 4 – Reverse and Neutral switches

Located on the Manual transmission towards the rear – as above. They are attached to either two separate 2 pin plugs or one 4 pin plug (as below) if it’s a 4 pin plug then pins 2 & 4 are your reverse switch and pins 1 & 3 are your neutral switch.

To wire them;

The reverse switch (one nearest the front) needs to be wired into pins 9 & 10 of the 12 pin plug.

The neutral sensor (nearest the rear) needs to be wired into pins 1 & 4 of the 12 pin plug.

5) speed sensor - on the gearbox also with 3 wires coming out

This needs to be wired into the transmission control plugs - you can locate the transmission control unit under the dash on the drivers side - silver box with either 2 (standard Auto) or 3 (Auto with VTD) plugs going into it.

You will need to unplug it and require the B54 and B55 plugs:

Run the signal from the speed sensor to B55 plug at pin 13. Run the ground to B55 plug at pin 10 or 21 Run the power to B54 plug at pin 23 or 24

You will now need to plug B54 back into the transmission control unit and fix it back up somewhere under the dash. This will allow you to keep your ABS without having to fit the ABS pump and control module from the donor car. Leave B55 plugged out or you will get issues with a high idle.

From what I have read, some cars (for reasons unknown) need to run an additional wire that is ‘T’d off of the B55 plug signal wire (that you have just run) and run over to your ECU speed sensor pin. Try the first option and, if you encounter an issue where the engine cuts out when slowing to a stop then you will need to run this additional wire as a remedy.

All that’s left is to ground the MT/AT identification pin on the ECU so it knows that it’s now manual. You’ll need to find out which pin this is on your own ECU as they are all different but basically put a wire into it at that pin and ground it.

Now you’re finished
Fozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote