Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 18, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-06-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
val189289
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479848
Vehicle:
1998 Forester

Default 2000 RS Auto to 2002 WRX Manual HELP

Alright so to start, I followed a bunch of guides to merge the harness even tho all of them were assuming it was a manual to manual conversion. Drivetrain is in, no check engine codes, everything works great except the motor doesnít crank.

The PO has already manual swapped it when it was still NA and it worked for him. Iím wondering if I have to do anything extra now that itís merged to a wrx ECU and WRX tranny. Fuel pump turns on (even tho I didnít connect the controller yet). Just no crank, starter doesnít even click.

If I canít figure it out Iíll just run a wire straight from the ignition to the battery since I donít have the switch on the pedal anyway. Just want to figure it out before I do that in case itís something simple I missed.

Thanks!
val189289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2020, 12:18 AM   #2
Mauricemonge
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 425415
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
66 Bug with ej20g

edit:

Looks like an 02 wrx has an immobilizer
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2781441

You might be able to bypass it. I’m sure it’s been done since some vw swaps use that ecu
Mauricemonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #3
val189289
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricemonge View Post
Unless you have an immobiliser - I donít believe the US got them until later - Iím pretty sure your starter control wire should go from the ignition to the starter, and only tee off to tell the ecu that youíre trying to start the car.

Do you have power to the wire at the starter? If not start working your way back to the ignition. If you do, check your ground and that your battery is hooked up well to the starter. The starting system shouldnít be that complicated in an 02... I think
Iíll have to check tomorrow but Iím gonna assume I have no power to the wire on the starter since it doesnít even click. My main guess right now since I havenít been able to check anything yet is that since the WRX ecu thatís in this auto RS is a manual, I think I still have the shift lock box and the auto lock boxís still plugged in. I might have to unplug those, Iím thinking, I have no idea haha.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:38 AM   #4
Mauricemonge
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
66 Bug with ej20g

You swapped the complete wrx harness, or just merged it at the ecu?

I think the ecu can be “hot-wired” on if you have the 02 wrx immobilizer, then just run the starter wire straight to the starter.

If you didn’t swap the entire harness, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t crank if your old setup worked.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:41 AM   #5
val189289
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Forester

Quote:
You swapped the complete wrx harness, or just merged it at the ecu?

I think the ecu can be ďhot-wiredĒ on if you have the 02 wrx immobilizer, then just run the starter wire straight to the starter.

If you didnít swap the entire harness, thereís no reason why it shouldnít crank if your old setup worked.
Thatís the thing, I never personally saw the old setup work, Iím just assuming it did based on what the PO told me. I merged the wrx ecu into the 2000 RS harness.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:50 AM   #6
Mauricemonge
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
66 Bug with ej20g

Then the ecu has nothing to do with it not cranking. I’m fairly sure your car doesn’t even have an immobilizer, or one that can’t be easily bypassed. Check your main power and grounds, check your fuses, then check if your ignition has power from the starter wire coming out of it.
The starter wire to the ecu is actually spliced off from the wire going to the starter itself. Make sure you didn’t accidentally chop off the starter end and just wire it to the ecu (you can also check starter power at the ecu)
Old 05-07-2020, 01:04 AM   #7
val189289
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Forester

Quote:
Then the ecu has nothing to do with it not cranking. Iím fairly sure your car doesnít even have an immobilizer, or one that canít be easily bypassed. Check your main power and grounds, check your fuses, then check if your ignition has power from the starter wire coming out of it.
The starter wire to the ecu is actually spliced off from the wire going to the starter itself. Make sure you didnít accidentally chop off the starter end and just wire it to the ecu (you can also check starter power at the ecu)
Yup Iíll check all that tomorrow, appreciate the help, Iíll let you know if it works!
Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 PM   #8
val189289
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Forester

Quote:
Then the ecu has nothing to do with it not cranking. I’m fairly sure your car doesn’t even have an immobilizer, or one that can’t be easily bypassed. Check your main power and grounds, check your fuses, then check if your ignition has power from the starter wire coming out of it.
The starter wire to the ecu is actually spliced off from the wire going to the starter itself. Make sure you didn’t accidentally chop off the starter end and just wire it to the ecu (you can also check starter power at the ecu)
Ok so went through and checked all fuses and when I got to main fuse in the engine bay I don’t have any power at all at it. Pulled it and check continuity and it’s good. Went to the ecu and checked B137/10 which is backup power and I have 12v there. When I went to check B137/2 and B137/3 which are ecu control power, I have no power there at all.

Edit***

Main relay is not clicking either, so I’m gonna assume there’s no power there either. I haven’t pulled it yet to check if the relay itself is bad.

Also checked OBD2 port and I have a bunch of codes which I assume are from the main relay not having power to check those. They’re like tgv codes, and TPS codes etc.

Last edited by val189289; 05-07-2020 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Mistyped, meant to say no power at main fuse
Old 05-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Mauricemonge
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
66 Bug with ej20g

Isn’t the box for the main fuse powered straight from the alternator/battery? You’ve got your alternator wires hooked up correctly?
Old 05-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
val189289
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Forester

Quote:
Isnít the box for the main fuse powered straight from the alternator/battery? Youíve got your alternator wires hooked up correctly?
Yup, Iím going to check to see if my main relay is bad first. If not I may have messed up wiring those 2 pins. Guess weíll see.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:19 PM   #11
val189289
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Forester

Ok, update time. I have power to the main relay and main fuse. The only 2 wires I don’t have power to is the 2 main 12v ecu control wires. Which are pins B137/2 & 3. Tomorrow I’ll just take the dash back out and trace my wiring and see where I messed up. Those are the y/b power wires FYI. It’s weird because I have 12v to the engine from that wire but not to the ECU so it’s obvious I missed something simple.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:54 AM   #12
Mauricemonge
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
66 Bug with ej20g

Sounds like you’re 99 percent there. I believe those are hot all the time, so if you can’t find the issue, you can always Hotwire them... but try to do it correct first.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:42 PM   #13
val189289
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Forester

Quote:
Sounds like youíre 99 percent there. I believe those are hot all the time, so if you canít find the issue, you can always Hotwire them... but try to do it correct first.
Alright good news, took the dash back apart and found I do have power to all the pins on the ECU that need it. Also found out the reason it wouldnít start was because the part of the starter wiring to the ignition circuit was just cut. Lol, so I went ahead and merged the WRX manual starter interlock relay wiring so now I have to press the clutch to start it.

Thanks for all the help!