Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
CaMKii
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491127
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2005 9-2x Aero
Blue

Default Momentary metallic rattling noise on cold start

Just got my 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero this fall. The temperature's been dropping, and I'm getting a new noise on cold morning start ups. There's a 1-2 second grinding/rattling sound that immediately goes away. I posted a video here:

It's very short in this video since the car was run about 4 hours prior. But in the mornings the noise lasts a second or two longer. Timing belt/tensioner replacement was just done about 4 months ago.

Any insights about whether I should be worried would be awesome, thanks in advance!
CaMKii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
sWagonRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324522
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
PSM

Its the starter gear grinding against the flywheel ring gear. I had this issue before and I have seen it in others as well. Basically the starter becomes "sticky," resulting in the drive gear not retracting right away. In summary, replace the starter when you get a chance lol.
sWagonRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
CaMKii
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 491127
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2005 9-2x Aero
Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sWagonRX View Post
Its the starter gear grinding against the flywheel ring gear. I had this issue before and I have seen it in others as well. Basically the starter becomes "sticky," resulting in the drive gear not retracting right away. In summary, replace the starter when you get a chance lol.
Ah, that would make sense I guess. Do you think it's bad enough to take care of right away? Would it damage the ring gear?
CaMKii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #4
sWagonRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324522
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
PSM

I drove on it for at least a year before finally changing it when I did my clutch, but that was because mine did it intermittently. If yours is making this noise with EVERY startup, I would recommend replacing it sooner than later to avoid potential damage to the flywheel ring gear. The starter at the top of the transmission bell housing, so it is fairly easy to replace.
sWagonRX is offline   Reply With Quote