Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
llb_dll
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 273785
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5 RS
PSM

Default Need Help : 05 Impreza 2.5RS Fog light install help

Hi, I am quite a noob to the subarus (just got the RS a month ago). I just installed a set of 04-05 WRX fog lights from ebay (not OEM) and everything was plug and play. However, I didn't know what to do with the fog light relay. To the right of the fuse box, there were 5 relay slots. I think it is a relay; it is a black block with 4 prongs in the back. Anyways, assuming it is called a relay, I saw 5 relay slots on the right of the fuse box underneath the driver's side dash. The 3rd and 5th slots were occupied, so taking an educated guess after TRYING to find some help on the forums, I plugged in the relay into the 4th slot (counting downwards from the top).

In my RS, there are 4 blank buttons on the left side of the dash above the coin tray. The 2nd blank button from the left had a harness plug running to it. I assumed that was for the fog light switch since it was a perfect fit. When have the car running, I push the fog light button and my HIGH-BEAMS come on!? I am very confused. Maybe I plugged in the wrong switch or mis-placed the relay?

Also, For some stupid reason, my passenger's side low-beam head light is not working. I've gone through 3 bulbs today (and they're not very cheap) as I keep finding that they are breaking after I test the headlights. I have no idea what is going on. I have the foglights plugged in properly as well at the bumper. There were 2 harness plugs that I know were for the fog lights as they plugged in perfectly.

Anyways, ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! I have been searching and searching with no results. Thank you.
llb_dll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
llb_dll
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 273785
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5 RS
PSM

Can someone please help me? It sucks driving around with 1 headlight and non-functional foglights.... Thank you.
llb_dll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Lifeisgood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 162117
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS Sedan
Silverthorn Metallic

Did you ever get this figured out? If not then PM me and I'll see if I can help. Just did this on an '02 and had similar problems. Got it all figured out now though.
Lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
jtown123
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 252769

Did you ever figure out your problem? I'm planning on installing fogs on a friends bugeye RS soon and would like to avoid the trouble you encountered if possible.
jtown123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Tucci139
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 336953
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza 2.5RS
Regal Blue Pearl

Installed fog lights on my 2005 RS and it was very simple. Be glad to help anyone out there do the same - post your questions here. Many aftermarket versions maybe much cheaper, but I wanted the factory look.

On my 2005 RS -- You do use 2nd blank switch spot from the left for new fog light switch and you need a new 12V relay. This goes in the fuse box under the steering wheel to the left of the fuses - need to remove dash - no big deal. Looking at fuses you will see relays to the right. Third empty spot down is where new Denso (or Hyundai brand will work as well) - just need a 12V relay. So, you will need - fog lights, covers (painted in your cars color), switch for dash and a 12V relay. 2005 RS comes pre-wired for the fog lights. Cable is taped just inside fog light cavity.

Stealership sold me relay for $20 because I forgot to order online, but you can get for $10 at NAPA special order. Or try an online Subaru shop for all parts - much cheaper. Many options for aftermarket fog lights, but I got the Subaru versions ($$) and the painted covers are a must. Not cheap, but looks great if you want to stay factory.
Tucci139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
eddiem
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 343233
Default need help with fog lights

Hi. I want to slowly fix up my daughters car. She has her first car, a 2005 Impreza RS. It does not have fog lights, but it has the tabs to remove and install them. It also does not have the mounts, wirjng harness, or anything for fog lights. Before I go and shop arround for the best deal and product (looking for pink), I want to have an idea on exactly what i need and how difficult it might be. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastie View Post
Installed fog lights on my 2005 RS and it was very simple. Be glad to help anyone out there do the same - post your questions here. Many aftermarket versions maybe much cheaper, but I wanted the factory look.

On my 2005 RS -- You do use 2nd blank switch spot from the left for new fog light switch and you need a new 12V relay. This goes in the fuse box under the steering wheel to the left of the fuses - need to remove dash - no big deal. Looking at fuses you will see relays to the right. Third empty spot down is where new Denso (or Hyundai brand will work as well) - just need a 12V relay. So, you will need - fog lights, covers (painted in your cars color), switch for dash and a 12V relay. 2005 RS comes pre-wired for the fog lights. Cable is taped just inside fog light cavity.

Stealership sold me relay for $20 because I forgot to order online, but you can get for $10 at NAPA special order. Or try an online Subaru shop for all parts - much cheaper. Many options for aftermarket fog lights, but I got the Subaru versions ($$) and the painted covers are a must. Not cheap, but looks great if you want to stay factory.
eddiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
2.5RSNEWBIE
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423330
Vehicle:
2005 Impresa RS
Silver

I know this is an old thread. Tucci139, I have an 05 and want to install foglights. Which lights do I buy? Covers? Etc?

Thanks
2.5RSNEWBIE is offline   Reply With Quote