Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 19, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-27-2002, 08:44 PM   #1
kovalov
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28133
Vehicle:
- -
-

Default extendent warranty from Subaru on a new WRX.

Would like to ask you about extendent warranty from Subaru on a new WRX.
$298 - 5 years 50 000 miles (60 000 - do not remember for sure).

Does it worth it?

Thanks.
kovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2002, 07:40 AM   #2
Tsepic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 9544

After reading so many horror stories about owners having Subaru deny warranty claims, forcing owners to involve lawyers to get warranty items covered, I would recommend not to buy the extended warranty. I would ask the dealership not to include a warranty but rather reduce the price of the car by $5000. I know that is absurd but Subaru and their dealers need to be sent a message.

Bad news travels faster than fancy marketing campaigns.
Tsepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 11:36 AM   #3
cptplt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 22439
Vehicle:
02 WRX
black

a 5yr/60K warranty only extends your bumper to bumper warranty up to the factory powertrain warranty, if you get one at all you should have it extended well beyond the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty. Except for maybe AC repairs there isn't much you are likely to get covered with the extra warranty to 5/60.
Also whats the deductible? Expect at least a 1/3 of whatever list price they give you or walk!
Being on my 4th Subaru I can say Subaru provide excellent backup on warranty issues of their products, compared to many other manufacturers esp Audi, Honda in my personal experience, but only if you DON'T mod it. Problems people get and report here seem to be related on the whole to mods or they have "abused" the car.I've had warranty work done on non covered items as goodwill by Subaru dealers. If you mod your car, have a problem which even if not directly related to your mod is denied coverage and you scream and curse at them, you ain't getting any goodwill!
cptplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
kovalov
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
- -
-

Also whats the deductible?
deductible is $0 as I understand. It extends factory warranty(3years/36000miles) up to 5 years/60000

Expect at least a 1/3 of whatever list price they give you or walk!

cptplt , does it mean the warranty price is negotiable?
Old 11-28-2002, 10:51 PM   #5
armand1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10309
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'02 OBS 2-tone!
'95 Montego Miata

Yes, the warranty price is negotiable. Dealer cost is half or less of the list price of the warranty; also, you can buy the warranty from any American authorized Subaru dealer, and you have up until just before the end of your 3 year/36k mile warranty to buy it.
armand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 11:48 PM   #6
cptplt
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
black

if your dealer won't deal then go to subaruwrxparts.com or subaruwarranty.com. I got my 7/100K zero deductible for about 800 bucks less than list from subaruwarranty.com
one other thing, Subaru lets you pay for an extended warranty by installments over a year on a credit card
Old 11-29-2002, 10:24 AM   #7
kovalov
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
- -
-

Quote:
Originally posted by cptplt
if your dealer won't deal then go to subaruwrxparts.com or subaruwarranty.com.
cptplt,
http://subaruwrxparts.com/security.html
The plan for
$50 Deductible 5y/60000m costs $884
$50 Deductible for 7/100K is $2208
(I could not find prices for $0 Deductible)

http://subaruwarranty.com/ prices :
$0 Deductible 5y/60K costs $742
$0 Deductible 7y/1000K costs $1604

That was for Subaru Impreza WRX 2003 with 10 miles on it.

My dealer gives me $0 Deductible 5y/60K for $298
That's about $450 less then price from http://subaruwarranty.com/
Where is the catch?
Looks like a good deal from the dealer for me.
Do not understand. Should be something wrong here. Too cheap.

Quote:
Originally posted by cptplt
I got my 7/100K zero deductible for about 800 bucks less than list from subaruwarranty.com[/b]
So, you got 7/100K zero deductible for about $800? ($1604 - $800 if you have WRX 2003)

Where did you get this price from?

Last edited by kovalov; 11-29-2002 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-29-2002, 10:36 AM   #8
kovalov
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
- -
-

Quote:
Originally posted by armand1
Yes, the warranty price is negotiable. Dealer cost is half or less of the list price of the warranty; also, you can buy the warranty from any American authorized Subaru dealer, and you have up until just before the end of your 3 year/36k mile warranty to buy it.
Thank you, armand1.
The ceapest price I got from dealers arund my area for $0 5y/60000 is $666 (maximum - $1559).
My dealer is willing to sell the warranty for about $300.
I am wondering - why it is so cheap?

Last edited by kovalov; 11-29-2002 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:23 PM   #9
cptplt
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02 WRX
black

I looked up my paperwork from earlier this year, I paid $1529 for my 7/100K zero deductible warranty for my WRX, the subaruwarranty.com site no longer seems to show the "list " price but IIRC I saved about 800 bucks or so then. My local dealer I purchased the car from would not sell for less than 1800. One other in the area would match subaruwarranty but wanted me to go there in person to do the paperwork while all I had to do was sign and put my credit card # on the paperwork subaruwarranty had already sent me.

Not sure why you are getting yours so cheap but as I said before you are only covering non powertrain items up to 5/60 and its not likely you will need to spend over 300 for that in the 2 years and 24K miles of additional bumper- bumper coverage you will get.

What gets you are powertrain items or things which tend to go wrong after 5/60. I have a 98 Legacy GT with 75K now, I have broken even already on it with my 6/100 zero deductible warranty which I got for about 1100 (list was about 1600), however most of this was work after the 5/60 was up. Only thing I used under the ext warranty before the 5/60 was a dead radio antenna as well as some HVAC light bulbs (actually thats not a covered item but my dealer is very good about doing little goodwill things).Then shortly after the 5/60 powertrain warranty was over I had an oil leak and AC problems which would have cost over 800 bucks and there is still AC work I will probably need next season.They fixed the refrigerant leaks but there is a strange sound still. They also replaced my timing belt for free while doing the cam seal leak which is definitely not covered but again done under "goodwill".(these guys are desperate for me to not go to the independent subaru mechanic I usually go to!)
On my 92 Legacy I needed some sensors and oil leaks fixed after 60K which cost altogether many hundreds but probably under a grand. If you keep the car for over 5/60 I would definitely get the ext warranty but do not pay list price!

My wifes Chevy minivan is only 4K beyond the 3/36 factory warranty and we have almost broken even on her ext warranty already!(5/75, zero deductible for $800- had to have a new intake manifold - $700+). So much for this so called improved GM quality.