Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > STi Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-13-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
ushtang
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39812
Default Just got my STi, but have some questions.

As of this past Sat I am a proud owner of Silver/Silver STi.

However I think there are some minor problems I will be taking the car in for tomm.

I was just wondering if anyone else has these problems as well.

1.Car pulls slightly to the left. I notice that while driving straight, and hold the steering wheel with both hands, my have to use more force on my right hand to keep the car straight because I find that the car is slightly pulling to the left.

If I let the wheel go, the car slowly starts to drift leftward.

2. Speedometer is in-accurate. On the highway the speed will read I'm doing 80mph when I know I'm travelling much less than that.

With that, again I'll be taking it into the dealer tomm but I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had these problems or know if they are common occurances.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
peczenij
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16791
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
WRBlue

Default Alignment

Sounds like your alignment is off. Should be a minor adjustment.
As far as the speedo error goes, how many RPM are you turning over in 6th when you are doing 80?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
ScoobyAficionado
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36575
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
'04 STi
WRB

Default Alignment

I've had cars track right because of the heavily rutted and slightly sloped (for drainage) roads in my area. Tracking left is odd.

The STi is the straightest tracking car I've ever owned. I can release the pressure of my hands on the wheel (essentially hands-off) on the highway or on side roads and I usually don't have to correct the steering even slightly for 20 seconds. This was a total surprise to me since I figured that the sticky Potenzas would follow every cigarette butt tossed out of the car in front of me.

My dealer has a full alignment done as part of the PDI. I'd recommend one in your case.

The speedo issue is covered in other threads, and others have documented the same error. I don't have a GPS with which to calculate the speedo error on mine, but I will try to do it in the near future.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:01 AM   #4
ZenBoy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12524
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB/Gold

I can confirm the problem as well. The speedometer is roughly 4 mph high between at least 20 and 80 mph. I've verified this with radars more than once.

I've thought about taking it in to a dealer to have it fixed.

But then, it's also bailed me out with a couple of speed traps....

Zen
Old 08-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #5
kb3drfsti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41507
Vehicle:
2004 sti
blue

Somebody told me if you put 18 inch wheels on the speedometer will then be correct.I do not know if this is true,just wanted to tell you.Not really a fix but just info.Matt