Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 10, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
Nitrousspeed
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183192
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2013 STI
World Rally Blue

Default 09 WRX Motor in an 02 WRX

Hey all,
I recently had a complete 09 WRX Long block (EJ25) land in my lap for pretty cheap, and I am wondering if this will be an easy swap into my 02 WRX (replacing an EJ20). Primary concerns are the wiring harness, Tranny, intake manifold, etc...

If there is already a thread for this, please let me know, as I am fairly inexperienced when it comes to complete motor swaps... I am simply looking for the information on doing the swap. The actual swap will be done at a performance shop who will be doing the build for me. I am simply looking to find out what parts will be needed for the build, as I dont want to waste time at the shop and/or waste the time of the shop

Any information at all is a help! Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Nitrousspeed; 10-28-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Nitrousspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
DHRDAN
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 204358
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Santa Paula, CA.
Vehicle:
01 2.5RS W/ EJ257
Black

Default

Your ECU won't run it, the dissplacement is too different.


Everything else is fine as long as you don't abuse it.



Come to think of it, the wiring is probably different, the years are soo far apart, post in the 2.0L sub-forum, maybe you'll have some luck there.


On a side note if you use the shortblock and your heads, it will work, but it will run like ****.


Why would you want to do such a thing. Sell the later model engine, get an older model engine, and..............................done.
DHRDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
jaxscuby
Sammo Hung
Moderator
 
Member#: 10613
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: S Ga / N Fla
Vehicle:
2002 USDM WRX
WRB

Default

if you use the block the ecu doesn't care about displacement.
done about a dozen 2.0/2.5 combos. they are all running fine.
you will need 2.5 head gaskets.
jaxscuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Nitrousspeed
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183192
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2013 STI
World Rally Blue

Default

Its a complete long block with the heads. I just want to make sure that they are compatible, and find out what parts I will need...
Nitrousspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Nuke209
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 108089
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
NF Performance

Default

You won't get to use the avcs if you plan on using the stock 2.0 ecu.
If you do plan on using the 09 ecu, you will need the harness and pedals (for dbw).
Or go standalone and you can use the dbc on it.
Nuke209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
TEK112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 218140
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Prm Sed DGM
Know my friend Hiram?

Default

Seriously, guy.

If you were being honest when you say that you are inexperienced in motor swaps, you really shouldn't be searching the boards. It will give you just enough information to make you dangerous, but not enough to do the swap.

The mechanical and electrical expertise need to pull this off would be nothing short of a custom shop. Rather than surf the boards for fitment answers you need to seek out a shop that has done this before and meet face to face.

At the rate this is going you will have spent thousands of dollars and will most likely have an iffy engine that won't run right. Trust me, take it to a shop and have it done right.
TEK112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
69subaru360
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159682
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2015 F150

Default

Wow this thread fails in so many ways. People, if you don't have a clue don't post. The 09 longlock will bolt right into your 02. If you want working avcs you will need an ecu and harness that will control it.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Nitrousspeed
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183192
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2013 STI
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK112 View Post
Seriously, guy.

If you were being honest when you say that you are inexperienced in motor swaps, you really shouldn't be searching the boards. It will give you just enough information to make you dangerous, but not enough to do the swap.

The mechanical and electrical expertise need to pull this off would be nothing short of a custom shop. Rather than surf the boards for fitment answers you need to seek out a shop that has done this before and meet face to face.

At the rate this is going you will have spent thousands of dollars and will most likely have an iffy engine that won't run right. Trust me, take it to a shop and have it done right.
Im not doing the physical swap, Im having Forged Perfromance, the new home of Scott Siegle do the swap for me. But so I dont waste the time of the people in the shop and have my car sitting in the shop for too long waiting to order other parts, I want to make sure that I have all the nesessary parts for direct bolt up. Its not a matter of me being a master mechanic to do the swap, I am searching the boards to make sure that they have everything they need! And regaurdless of whether or not I have that expertiese, maybe some people are trying to learn... Besides the point, this way Im NOT spending thousands of dollars on this project... Im just trying to get educated on what is needed!
Nitrousspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Nitrousspeed
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183192
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2013 STI
World Rally Blue

Default

[quote]Wow this thread fails in so many ways. People, if you don't have a clue don't post. The 09 longlock will bolt right into your 02. If you want working avcs you will need an ecu and harness that will control it...[quote]


Thank you... I am keeping the drive by cable, I prefer the direct connection to my foot... So with that said, I shoudl be able to keep my stock ECU and they can protune the car with the new block?

Last edited by Nitrousspeed; 10-28-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Nitrousspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
69subaru360
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159682
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2015 F150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousspeed View Post
And as for you, if you dont have anything with some proper input, the stay the **** off my thread... Forums are here for the spreading of knowledge and helping other people out. If you dont feel like doing so, then you should not post... I appreciate your final words about the bolt up, but no need to be an ass about it!
Calm down big guy, people in your thread are giving you bad advice, that's who my comments are directed at, not you.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Nitrousspeed
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183192
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2013 STI
World Rally Blue

Default

Yeah, as soon as I wrote that, I realized where that was directed and edited my comment. Sorry about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69subaru360 View Post
Calm down big guy, people in your thread are giving you bad advice, that's who my comments are directed at, not you.
Nitrousspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
TEK112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 218140
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Prm Sed DGM
Know my friend Hiram?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousspeed View Post
Yeah, as soon as I wrote that, I realized where that was directed and edited my comment. Sorry about that...
You flew off the handle way too easy. Take a deep breath.

In your first post you were asking for "an easy swap." Plus, didn't mention you had a shop involved.

My answer was to help you. You didn't give enough information when you posted the first time. If you don't appreciate the kind advice, don't blow up on people, just ignore it and move on.

You recognized yourself that you need a shop involved. You are doing research and that's great. It's a good thing to educate yourself, but seriously. Go back and read your first post. How do you think it sounds? It's sounds like half of them where someone jumps in without help and there are too many posts where some goes "I did this and now nothing works."

My post was intended to save you the hassle if you have never done this before.
TEK112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Nuke209
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 108089
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
NF Performance

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousspeed View Post


Thank you... I am keeping the drive by cable, I prefer the direct connection to my foot... So with that said, I shoudl be able to keep my stock ECU and they can protune the car with the new block?
If that's the case, then just drop the block in. You just wont be able to run the avcs, that is all.
Nuke209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Nitrousspeed
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183192
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2013 STI
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK112 View Post
You flew off the handle way too easy. Take a deep breath.

In your first post you were asking for "an easy swap." Plus, didn't mention you had a shop involved.

My answer was to help you. You didn't give enough information when you posted the first time. If you don't appreciate the kind advice, don't blow up on people, just ignore it and move on.

You recognized yourself that you need a shop involved. You are doing research and that's great. It's a good thing to educate yourself, but seriously. Go back and read your first post. How do you think it sounds? It's sounds like half of them where someone jumps in without help and there are too many posts where some goes "I did this and now nothing works."

My post was intended to save you the hassle if you have never done this before.
Ah, I see where you ya got that... no no. Ok, yeah, I needed to clarify... Thats what I get for posting at 2 AM... So lets start this over again...!
Nitrousspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
TEK112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 218140
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Prm Sed DGM
Know my friend Hiram?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousspeed View Post
Ah, I see where you ya got that... no no. Ok, yeah, I needed to clarify... Thats what I get for posting at 2 AM... So lets start this over again...!
No problem buddy...
TEK112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

making this work well....ya gotta get the AVCS to work so ya gonna need to get an 09 ecu to work or I'd get some sort of stand alone EM that will control the avcs
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #17
Nitrousspeed
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183192
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA
Vehicle:
2013 STI
World Rally Blue

Default

Why do I have to have AVCS? (Again, Im not 100% knowledgeable on this... )


Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
making this work well....ya gotta get the AVCS to work so ya gonna need to get an 09 ecu to work or I'd get some sort of stand alone EM that will control the avcs
Nitrousspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
69subaru360
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159682
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2015 F150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousspeed View Post
Why do I have to have AVCS? (Again, Im not 100% knowledgeable on this... )
You don't have to have the AVCS working. You won't have variable cam timing if you don't. If you do get it working, it'll run a little nicer at lower speeds and spool the turbo a bit faster.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wrx motor in an 89 gl wagon rusty89wagon Subaru Conversions 5 11-12-2006 05:26 PM
05 WRX tranny in an 02 WRX, need some advice GottaREX Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 3 10-16-2006 09:51 AM
04 STi motor into an 02 wrx Smoby Service & Maintenance 1 08-28-2006 11:35 PM
Who has blown their motor or built a motor in their 02 + wrx STEALTH-WRX Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 4 08-20-2002 11:05 AM
Anyone think about a US spec WRX motor in an RS? RacerinLSL Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 7 06-27-2001 09:48 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.