Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 11, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #76
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
The Mach-E might be the first of many offshoots

The future Mustang branded minivan has a little something for dad too!

FCA tried to do exactly this a few years ago with the Ram name and it was a massive failure.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #77
Keshav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1654
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2019 GoCycle GX
MV Agusta Brutale S

Default

Found this bit on the MOTOR1 site

Quote:
Ford guarantees its customers access to 75 percent of all charging stations in the U.S. (12,500 stations and 35,000 individual plugs). Though, itís not proprietary like Teslaís supercharger network, as Ford contracts out to companies like Chargepoint and EVGo. With the purchase of the Mach-E, buyers get access to said massive charging network using FordPass Charging Network, with the ability to recharge up to 47 miles in just 10 minutes with a maximum 150-kilowatt DC fast charging rate. Though, note that competitors like the Porsche Taycan and Tesla Model 3 can charge at rates as high as 250-kilowatts.

Of course, Ford also offers a few home solutions, as well. A Ford Mobile Charger comes standard with the purchase of any Mach-E. Plugged into a typical 120-volt outlet, the home charger will trickle out an estimated range of about three miles each hour. Plugging the same Ford Mobile Charger into a more-powerful 240-volt outlet yields up to 22 miles of range each hour. Ford says that this application will charge up to 80 percent of the Mach-Eís pack overnight and makes the most sense for consumers.
Keshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #78
Keshav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1654
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2019 GoCycle GX
MV Agusta Brutale S

Default

Here's an article comparing it to the other Mustangs.

https://www.motor1.com/news/382777/f...ther-mustangs/

For the GT, acceleration and range compare to the GT500 but its 4-door and AWD and cheaper.

Gotta admit that it's kinda cake-and-eat-it good. That and you won't piss me off driving past my place at 2 AM when the bars close. (die Harley-riders die)
Keshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:11 AM   #79
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
08 Impreza,80Vette
68 Impala, 15 SantaFe

Default

Someone buying a GT500 is not concerned about 4 doors, AWD, or noise. But an interesting comparison considering they both carry the Mustang name.
subyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:10 AM   #80
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yeah, well, you know
Vehicle:
that 's, like, your
alternate facts, man.

Default

So, is Ford actually installing any chargers? It sounds like they're claiming a charging network by gathering contracts with existing charging networks. This means they're going to be selling the idea of Ford having their own Supercharger network when in reality it's just a federated charging network login.. so you'll still be chased away by Rent-a-Cops for plugging up at public chargers in business parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
Iím really surprised at Hondas lack of EV vehicles or any substantial announcements of future EV. Then again, Honda has been limited in new designs and tech due to penny pinching bean counters who actually do more harm than good to the company.
Honda has the Clarity EV (Cali compliance car only) and decided not to bring the Honda E to the US citing a lack of demand. Shame.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #81
arghx7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 232940
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: cold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
So, is Ford actually installing any chargers? It sounds like they're claiming a charging network by gathering contracts with existing charging networks. This means they're going to be selling the idea of Ford having their own Supercharger network when in reality it's just a federated charging network login.. so you'll still be chased away by Rent-a-Cops for plugging up at public chargers in business parks.
The question is, will the nav system integrate well with these different charging networks? Will it accurately show real time availability of charging stalls and the speed of each, accounting for public vs non public? If their software is good enough it could be a seamless Supercharger-like experience. If it's no, the customer will be frustrated.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #82
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 Legacy / Ascent
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus View Post
So, is Ford actually installing any chargers? It sounds like they're claiming a charging network by gathering contracts with existing charging networks. This means they're going to be selling the idea of Ford having their own Supercharger network when in reality it's just a federated charging network login.. so you'll still be chased away by Rent-a-Cops for plugging up at public chargers in business parks.



Honda has the Clarity EV (Cali compliance car only) and decided not to bring the Honda E to the US citing a lack of demand. Shame.
Truer words were never spoken.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #83
alape8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 337748
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Denver
Default

A shame since I want an E really badly, but do agree it probably wouldn't sell in the numbers they'd want. With EV's and battery weight it's going to be tough to get a lighter weight fun car without taking a huge hit on range.
alape8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #84
Keshav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1654
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2019 GoCycle GX
MV Agusta Brutale S

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyski View Post
Someone buying a GT500 is not concerned about 4 doors, AWD, or noise. But an interesting comparison considering they both carry the Mustang name.
I was talking about the comparison to a coworker and realized that the Mach-E MachE? Machy? Mocky? whatever. the new EV is only 0.2 seconds slower to 60 which means that even your mom can beat a GT500 driver in a drag race 90% of the time because she doesn't have to depend on perfect shifts and launches.

Effectively, it's a better stop light bragging rights car than the GT500.
Keshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #85
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyski View Post
Someone buying a GT500 is not concerned about 4 doors, AWD, or noise. But an interesting comparison considering they both carry the Mustang name.
No, but their wife sure as hell might which in turn makes it so dad doesnít have to drive some generic pile of **** CUV / Small Suv. Letís not forget that likely a majority of GT500 buyers also have a second car themselves. Iím heavily considering buying a X3M or X5 M50i as my DD. Similar concept minus one being EV. Itís just nice to have a secondary useful vehicle that is also fun to drive.
godfather2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:01 AM   #86
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
08 Impreza,80Vette
68 Impala, 15 SantaFe

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I was talking about the comparison to a coworker and realized that the Mach-E MachE? Machy? Mocky? whatever. the new EV is only 0.2 seconds slower to 60 which means that even your mom can beat a GT500 driver in a drag race 90% of the time because she doesn't have to depend on perfect shifts and launches.

Effectively, it's a better stop light bragging rights car than the GT500.
Considering the GT500 is DCT only and all the launch control nannies, the GT500 could be much more consistent. Sure the Mach E is impressive but it's not like the Tesla X turns heads anymore. The GT500 will burn through more tires and get less range too. That's bragging rights there
subyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #87
Pre
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

A friend who is a Ford guy, big time, who has a GT500 on order, just passed on this. And he has a solar array recently installed and really wants a plug in. And he passed. Not a good sign to me. The image crowd wants a Tesla.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #88
legacy_etu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 35985
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
19 Q50S
16 Wrangler ultd.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
No, but their wife sure as hell might which in turn makes it so dad doesnít have to drive some generic pile of **** CUV / Small Suv. Letís not forget that likely a majority of GT500 buyers also have a second car themselves. Iím heavily considering buying a X3M or X5 M50i as my DD. Similar concept minus one being EV. Itís just nice to have a secondary useful vehicle that is also fun to drive.

You're not thinking of giving up the M2, are you? I think this is my next car. I made the mistake of swinging by the BMW dealer the other day to check out a LBB M2C. Yikes, it was all I could do to leave before I bought it.

Yup, I have a Wrangler as my fun third car.
legacy_etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #89
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
I was talking about the comparison to a coworker and realized that the Mach-E MachE? Machy? Mocky? whatever.
I know how it's pronounced in Mass/RI...


And I guaren-damn-tee you that someone will have a plate "Mark/Mahk".

--kC
KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #90
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyski View Post
Considering the GT500 is DCT only and all the launch control nannies, the GT500 could be much more consistent. Sure the Mach E is impressive but it's not like the Tesla X turns heads anymore. The GT500 will burn through more tires and get less range too. That's bragging rights there
The Model X is turd and was in top 10 least reliable cars by Consumer Reports. My girlfriends brother in law / sister have a model X and hate it. They do love their model 3 however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_etu View Post
You're not thinking of giving up the M2, are you? I think this is my next car. I made the mistake of swinging by the BMW dealer the other day to check out a LBB M2C. Yikes, it was all I could do to leave before I bought it.

Yup, I have a Wrangler as my fun third car.
No, I’ll be keeping the M2 and getting rid of the truck if I end up with X3M or
X5 M50i. I’ll likely hold out on the X3/X5 until cpo’s / lease trades come in or if they start leasing well. I want to go test drive a M2C to see if i really like it as I love my M2. I think I’ll be doing suspension, pure stage 2 turbo with supporting mods and tuned during the spring. The car is plenty fast as is, but I also wouldn’t complain with 425-450whp .

Get the M2C, you’ll love it.

Edit: Definitely get it in LBB. I can’t tell you how often I get compliments, thumbs up, starred etc from kids 5 years old to women in their 70’s. I think LBB really makes the car.

Last edited by godfather2112; 11-20-2019 at 03:58 PM.
godfather2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #91
Skylab
n00b Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 4263
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Encinitas
Default


Outrageous claim:

Parked next to the 2020 GT500, it isn't much bigger.
Skylab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #92
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

I do like the exterior, especially in that grabber blue. That said, I hate the ****ing tablet. If you’re going to be a lazy cheap ass and just use a tablet, would it be too much to ask to have it flush within the dash as opposed to sticking out from it? It just looks so god damn tacky and cheap.
godfather2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #93
Keshav
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1654
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Vehicle:
2019 GoCycle GX
MV Agusta Brutale S

Default

yeah, they need to evolve the interior to accommodate these new screens. just drop them down and recess them into the dashboard.

i think the reluctance to do so is because they want to upsell you to the big screen like every damn FCS vehicle does. set up a deal with LG for one standard size and then design your interior around it. the people designing the infotainment software will be thrilled that they can design to one standard size and it will look great on every car.
Keshav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #94
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keshav View Post
yeah, they need to evolve the interior to accommodate these new screens. just drop them down and recess them into the dashboard.

i think the reluctance to do so is because they want to upsell you to the big screen like every damn FCS vehicle does. set up a deal with LG for one standard size and then design your interior around it. the people designing the infotainment software will be thrilled that they can design to one standard size and it will look great on every car.
Agree 100%. However I donít believe there are different size options available for the tablet on these vehicles, it just comes standard with 1 size. The cost for r&d and manufacturing of a dash to recess a tablet into cant possible be meaningfully higher than just slapping one on all lazy style.
godfather2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #95
lil'redwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10854
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles, CA.
Vehicle:
'02 WRX; '08 OBXT;
'08 G37 (S/C'd); '09 XF

Default

I saw it in person today. My impression is that it looks dopey. It looks like they tried to keep the same footprint of the Mustang, but gave it a cargo "backpack". But in reality, they raised the ground clearance, and did the opposite of "channeling" it - on this car they ADDED like 8" in the floor height. So between the raising of the suspension, the taller body, and the 'Humpback' instead of a 'Fastback' roof profile, it ends up looking really tall and narrow. Overall, it's about a foot taller than the Mustang, but has the same footprint. Impressive EV numbers, but looks like any other crossover.

Interestingly, they also had a lowered new explorer that looked great! If they were smart, they would just put the EV stuff in that, and sell every one they can make.
lil'redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #96
legacy_etu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 35985
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI
Vehicle:
19 Q50S
16 Wrangler ultd.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
The Model X is turd and was in top 10 least reliable cars by Consumer Reports. My girlfriends brother in law / sister have a model X and hate it. They do love their model 3 however.



No, I’ll be keeping the M2 and getting rid of the truck if I end up with X3M or
X5 M50i. I’ll likely hold out on the X3/X5 until cpo’s / lease trades come in or if they start leasing well. I want to go test drive a M2C to see if i really like it as I love my M2. I think I’ll be doing suspension, pure stage 2 turbo with supporting mods and tuned during the spring. The car is plenty fast as is, but I also wouldn’t complain with 425-450whp .

Get the M2C, you’ll love it.

Edit: Definitely get it in LBB. I can’t tell you how often I get compliments, thumbs up, starred etc from kids 5 years old to women in their 70’s. I think LBB really makes the car.
Yeah, the LBB is beautiful. I like the HS too but I think I'm getting tired of whites and silvers on cars. Like you, it's not the right time for me. I'm thinking in a at least a year or two when some of the Comp's start showing up used I may jump. I just swung in the BMW shop because I was nearby and bored . Mistake number one, luckily as I said I got out of there before my impulsive side of me won out.

This Ford if it's anything like the new Explorer will have all sorts of cheap plastic inside and I feel like they're asking too much dinero for a so-so interior. I mean look at what Kia and Hyunda are doing for their interiors and their pricing is decent. I think they need to learn how to use chrome/silver /carrbon to provide accents???? Dunno, but they look cheap right now. I mean they get primo money for the GT350 but that's only because the performance value is so high. Agreed with the stuck on tablet look, but at least they provided a center stack for the usual stuff. The last time I drove a car with the center stack was my 80 CJ-7 .
legacy_etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #97
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_etu View Post
Yeah, the LBB is beautiful. I like the HS too but I think I'm getting tired of whites and silvers on cars. Like you, it's not the right time for me. I'm thinking in a at least a year or two when some of the Comp's start showing up used I may jump. I just swung in the BMW shop because I was nearby and bored . Mistake number one, luckily as I said I got out of there before my impulsive side of me won out.

This Ford if it's anything like the new Explorer will have all sorts of cheap plastic inside and I feel like they're asking too much dinero for a so-so interior. I mean look at what Kia and Hyunda are doing for their interiors and their pricing is decent. I think they need to learn how to use chrome/silver /carrbon to provide accents???? Dunno, but they look cheap right now. I mean they get primo money for the GT350 but that's only because the performance value is so high. Agreed with the stuck on tablet look, but at least they provided a center stack for the usual stuff. The last time I drove a car with the center stack was my 80 CJ-7 .
The silver one looks pretty good too. Reminds me of my E46 M in silver. There are a few M2C going for $55k fairly loaded (6spd), with stupid low miles on the forums. I think you should also try and test drive a 2018 M2 to see if the difference in cost is worth it. Yes, you get the S55 engine, better seats, and fancier calipers, but Iíve heard fairly often that the M2 feels more balanced, better power down low and in my opinion, sounds a whole hell of a lot better. My biggest hold up in trading in for an M2C is the exhaust note. Iíd have to drop like $4500 on a damn cat back just so it sounds better.

The interior will likely be cheaper hard plastic simply due to cost constraints. The batteries still make it difficult for manufacturers to keep costs low while making higher quality interiors. Over time I suspect that as battery technology gets cheaper, manufacturers will have more margin to play with and focus on overall quality.

I do think the tablet is a bad move for Ford. I personally donít see a lot of tech driven people buying this car like they would a Tesla. I see Jane and Bob from next door who are afraid of technology wanting to buy this car but possibly be thrown off by the tablet.

Iím also blown away by how we all know not to text and drive yet weíre using tablets where you likely have to look at it, swipe on the tablet or at a minimum, look at the tablet while scrolling with buttons on the steering wheel and taking your eyes off the road.

*shrug*

I hope it does sell well though and doesnít end up a flop. I truly want a truck or large SUV that is EV and can get 350-400 miles per charge and has the same features my F150 with similar performance (0-60, etc) for around $45k. Once that happens, Iíll make the switch. My fun cars however will continue to burn dino fuel. 0 ****s given if itís slower than an EV.
godfather2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #98
mhoward1
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 9481
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FFR Challenge #43
Vehicle:
1832 Steam Buggy
Wood

Default

At least the ford has a tactile knob on the tablet
mhoward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #99
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: who the hell makes those
Vehicle:
.... missiles - when
they know wat they can do

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil'redwagon View Post
I saw it in person today. My impression is that it looks dopey. It looks like they tried to keep the same footprint of the Mustang, but gave it a cargo "backpack". But in reality, they raised the ground clearance, and did the opposite of "channeling" it - on this car they ADDED like 8" in the floor height. So between the raising of the suspension, the taller body, and the 'Humpback' instead of a 'Fastback' roof profile, it ends up looking really tall and narrow. Overall, it's about a foot taller than the Mustang, but has the same footprint. Impressive EV numbers, but looks like any other crossover.

Interestingly, they also had a lowered new explorer that looked great! If they were smart, they would just put the EV stuff in that, and sell every one they can make.
If Iím not mistaken this has 4 side doors and the Mustang has 2.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #100
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Ford is such a joke anymore. They need to take their head marketing guy out back and shoot him.

"Hurrr durrrrr, we'll just make a cheap knockoff Tesla, call it a Mustang, which is the only decent vehicle we still build, and the Chads and Karens will buy it by the hundreds of thousands!"

Quote:
A friend who is a Ford guy, big time, who has a GT500 on order, just passed on this. And he has a solar array recently installed and really wants a plug in. And he passed. Not a good sign to me. The image crowd wants a Tesla.
Exactly.

And the image driven crowd with a lot of money isn't going to want to be seen driving a "Mustang" regardless of how good of a vehicle it actually is and how little in common it has with the real two door pony car Mustang. The "Mustang" is a strong brand, but it's not the sort of weapon you want to be taking to a luxury car fight.

It seems like this would have been the perfect reason to revive the Mercury name.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.