Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 11, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-18-2019, 01:20 AM   #1
FastFachi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508323
Impreza WRX STi Greetings from Delaware

Hi all!

I've been planning on making this introductory post for a few days now. My fiance and I have become Subaru owners in the last year and a half. She leased her Black 2018 Impreza in June last year and I bought a WRB 2019 STI this March. I've been enjoying reading the technical section and some discussions on winter tires. We had a great time at Boxerfest this year up in York, PA and will definitely be going again next year!

Her car is going in for the 12,000 mile service on Friday and is getting the current recall taken care of. Also, her volume knob stopped working on the dash. At least she has the one on the wheel.

As for myself, I have enjoyed modifying cars since I started driving in 2007. In fact I still have my 1995 Ranger pick-up that I got from my grandfather. It made me fall in love with driving stick and I always wanted to get into sports cars. I purchased my 1990 Miata back in 2013 and stripped it down to a bare chassis. The engine was rebuilt and supercharged, the interior was swapped from black to tan, a complete respray with all of the wiring and mechanicals out, custom gauges, Blackbird Fabworx SCCA rollbar, bikini top... the list is quite long. I'll link the build thread to the whole process below. It can be a fun read!

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=597877

My car currently has 6700 miles on it. I just took care of my second oil change at 6,000. (the first was at 1,000) I am currently looking into a set of winter tires. I know going down to 18's is a good option but with the addition of TPMS sensors, the install, tires and wheels it is looking like an extra $500 at least to go that route over a set of 19" winter tires alone.

MODS that I've done so far.

Invidia R400 Gemini Catback Exhaust (Planning on adding a downpipe)
Cobb Accessport V3 w/ Stage 1 Tune
Go Fast Bits Respons BOV (full open)
5% Tint all around (Delaware Waiver in hand!)
JNA Performance V-Spec Front Lip
Rallysport mudflaps (Neon Yellow)
Billetworx STI plate delete
Greddy magnetic oil plug (why aren't these included stock?)
Molded Innovations F1 Rear Fog Light
Thule Roof Racks (Included w/ the car)

Ordered tonight during the COBB 10% off sale:
COBB Stage 2+ Drivetrain Package (currently standard STI shifter)
Includes:
-Cobb Dual Adjustable Short Shifter
-Cobb Black/Red Shift Knob
-Cobb Red/Black Revers Lockout
-Front/Rear shifter bushings
Cobb X Weathertech front floormats

So that is where I am at right now. The floor mats complete half of my winter prep. I just need to decide on tires. Thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Anthony F.
Instagram - FastFachi
Miata.net - DelaRanger95'

https://i.imgur.com/kd6yIdf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cTaqJT4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EvD3KKK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cgAdS5T.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UlJJC12.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZnCM0OM.jpg
FastFachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
FastFachi
Scooby Newbie

Hey, is this thing on?

Hahaha

Anyway, I received most of my shipment yesterday and got along with installing them today. Parts installed include the Cobb short shifter, reverse lockout, and rear shifter bushing. The shift knob is coming from NV and won't arrive until Monday.

Unfortunately, Matt, who packed my front shifter bushings at Cobb, put two 5-speed bushings in the 6-speed box. They are too large to fit within the housing by about 3mm in diameter.

Hopefully I can get this resolved soon and get back under there.
The shifter feels amazing though!! It's going to take some getting used to as shifting from first to where neutral was now goes into second. Very short throws!!
Old 11-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
FastFachi
Scooby Newbie

Anyone there??

I've been enjoying reading some great threads on here.
The "manifesto" is a great read!

Subimods made good on their promise to make things right with the shifter bushings. The Cobb 6 speed replacements have arrived and are ready to go in and finish up this install.

ALSO, for those who are thinking about installing one of these shifters WITH the Cobb lockout... The lockout has a much smaller internal diameter than the stock lockout. Due to this you will need to remove the sleeve on the shifter prior to install or else the lockout will stick in the up position until you push it back down!
I had to go back in there the other day and take care of that while adjusting the throw and height to my liking after testing for a few days.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
FastFachi
Scooby Newbie

I decided to go with a set of winter tires that fit the stock wheels. Even though most companies were running Black Friday deals a set of 18's with tires and TPMS sensors would still have outweighed just a set of winter 19" tires. Thanks to NASIOC member drbump471 for making a deal with me for his set of Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires!
They are the standard size 245/35/r19 that he used on his STI for one season. He no longer has the car.

Also coming in this week are a few more small touches I bought to complete my pre-winter projects.
Dialed mounts defrost vent mount for my AP. (Much cleaner than having the wire exposed)
Perrin trunk handle. (Why don't we have these stock?)
Cobb 6-Speed front shifter bushings. (Big thanks to Subimods for resolving!!)

I hope you guys are having a great holiday season!
Old 12-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
willthetech
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498029
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Premium
Pearl Blue

Awesome man. glad you are here shearing your car mods. i have been looking at a 2019/2020 sti for few weeks now, but the new generation is almost here...so i keep finding excuses to skip the trade in.

Oil changes @5k? why not 3k?
willthetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
FastFachi
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthetech View Post
Awesome man. glad you are here shearing your car mods. i have been looking at a 2019/2020 sti for few weeks now, but the new generation is almost here...so i keep finding excuses to skip the trade in.

Oil changes @5k? why not 3k?
I went through a bit of the same debate myself and with my dealer in March when I bought the car. I really needed something new as my 24 and 29 year old cars were not cutting it in the daily department. I also had a feeling that the next STI is going to go to a hybrid system a la the Forester STI concept that debuted that new engine layout. It might not but with current trends leaning to electric-hybrid/paddle shift setups in the pursuit of emissions regulations and shift speeds there is a possibility. I love the sound of the EJ25 and this current body style, plus my dealer had reduced the car $750 and I had a $500 coupon in hand from the Philly Auto Show. For me it was the perfect move.
I hope they keep the "rawness" in the next gen car but I couldn't wait that long.
Oh and I'm glad I grabbed a 2019. The Type RA power bump and gear revision WITHOUT the "interesting" 2020 wheels. I'm not sure why they did that to the wheels when the Brembo brakes look best behind solid black.

Anyway, I think I will be moving to a 3k oil change period in the future. The oil came out looking great when I did the first change and while I have the mag-drain in place, it would still be a good practice to change at 3k considering how cheap Subaru oil is at my local dealer.

It looks like my parts just got delivered today and I have a three day weekend coming up!
Old 12-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Member#: 428511
Vehicle:
2016 STI

3k oil changes is a painful waste of money and resources
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
willthetech
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX Premium
Pearl Blue

The way Direct injection cars mix gas and oil nowadays...I would say I disagree. Maybe in the STI is not needed as much, but in my WRX the last thing I need is some LSPI...it takes less than 10 minutes to do my oil change, it cost me about 30 dollars total, including OEM filter. So i am ok change it every 3k.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
FastFachi
Scooby Newbie

I feel the same way. Plus I’m a little harder on my cars during the summer months with them to track days at NJMSP. I’ll probably do the next one at 9k as I plan on using this car in the winter, as well as teaching my fiancÚ to drive stick... again! Haha
Old 12-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #10
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthetech View Post
The way Direct injection cars mix gas and oil nowadays...I would say I disagree. Maybe in the STI is not needed as much, but in my WRX the last thing I need is some LSPI...it takes less than 10 minutes to do my oil change, it cost me about 30 dollars total, including OEM filter. So i am ok change it every 3k.
Fumoto valve, eh?
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
willthetech
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX Premium
Pearl Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Fumoto valve, eh?
Yep... have in my Legacy and now in my WRX.